U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2013, 02:40 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,750 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to reno or something close to reno...it will be a year before we can settle everything here in ca..I would love a rural area. Not real far from a hospital! Don't want to be near schools. We are an older couple want a nice place to retired have a garden and kio pond..etc
Looking for a colonial style home..wrap around porch some property...we could have family reunions..I have family In Ohio and Michigan and Pa..I moved to ca in 85 I am from ohio my husband is from ca.
I feel ca is so so expensive! Even a fixer upper would be nice...I know to much info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,576 posts, read 9,563,855 times
Reputation: 5034
I grew up in Pleasanton, and always wanted to live here. I've been here just over two years and feel blessed everyday. No more 6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic, and most people are friendly. I suggest you really start looking for what you want. I'm 18 miles North West of town in a modest tract home with a reasonable HOA fee at 5100' First thing I did was put a natural gas stove in my bedroom. Wow, was that the smartest thing I ever did. It gets cold in the Winter, but so far I'm enjoying it. Even shoveling snow off my driveway, and sidewalks is fun, because I get out of the house.

I suggest you start coming up, and get used to the lay of the land. It seems to me that South Reno has some very nice areas, and even some McMansions us from CA are used too! If property is your thing, there's some very nice places out here near me on Red Rock road. Even Carson City and Gardenerville is really close, so don't discount them. I'm sure others will chime in, and some will claim North Valleys are terrible, but I'm very happy, and being a Jeep guy love being close too offroad. Come on up, and check us out.

Oh, I almost forgot, North Spark, or Spanish Springs reminds me a lot of where I came from with a different fauna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 AM
 
979 posts, read 1,334,996 times
Reputation: 1517
North Valleys and Spanish Springs are nice without kids. I also like the Pleasant Valley, Virginia Foothills, Mt. Rose area...Washoe Valley if you want more property than 1-2 acres. Carson City has a good hospital with all the specialties so Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, Genoa...

Yerington and Fernley have some nice areas. However the nearest hospitals only have basic services. To see a specialist or in case of surgery/serious illness they would stabilize and transfer you to Reno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 04:51 AM
 
2,056 posts, read 2,439,182 times
Reputation: 3799
You're aware of the hard winters in Reno? I once walked several blocks to work and my beard was frozen when I got there. Later that week, as I was working my graveyard desk clerk job in a hotel and looking out the window, I saw a couple come cross country skiing around the corner using the street (which was covered w/ ice and snow).

The area IS beautiful, but winter is no joke, there is crime, and the casino atmosphere is depressing. People almost always lose. That's how they built those big places, on people's losses. There's a real disconnect from reality there too. Drinking booze is called ordering refreshments, losing the rent money on the dice table is called gaming, and I've given up trying to come up w/ a way to say what's going on in the bordellos. Then there's the fact that the state makes money off that prostitution....actually, the state is run from money that is made from taxing and running gambling, drinking and prostitution businesses. Makes for a weird scene! I lived there for a while but it wasn't how I saw my life going and moved.

Last edited by smarino; 07-21-2013 at 05:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Reno
888 posts, read 1,919,318 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
You're aware of the hard winters in Reno? I once walked several blocks to work and my beard was frozen when I got there. Later that week, as I was working my graveyard desk clerk job in a hotel and looking out the window, I saw a couple come cross country skiing around the corner using the street (which was covered w/ ice and snow).

The area IS beautiful, but winter is no joke, there is crime, and the casino atmosphere is depressing. People almost always lose. That's how they built those big places, on people's losses. There's a real disconnect from reality there too. Drinking booze is called ordering refreshments, losing the rent money on the dice table is called gaming, and I've given up trying to come up w/ a way to say what's going on in the bordellos. Then there's the fact that the state makes money off that prostitution....actually, the state is run from money that is made from taxing and running gambling, drinking and prostitution businesses. Makes for a weird scene! I lived there for a while but it wasn't how I saw my life going and moved.
It's cold in Reno in the winter? Who knew? Thanks for shedding light on that.

And there is crime? Really? You mean like every other city in the world? Thanks again for your insight.

And people lose in the casinos? Wow. You're just a wealth of information.

To the OP, I wouldn't pay much if any attention to the previous poster's rantings. Reno isn't perfect, but it's a wonderful place to live for many, many people. It wasn't for him, and that's fine - it isn't for everybody - but it could be a good fit for you.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM
 
1,151 posts, read 1,852,195 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
You're aware of the hard winters in Reno? I once walked several blocks to work and my beard was frozen when I got there. Later that week, as I was working my graveyard desk clerk job in a hotel and looking out the window, I saw a couple come cross country skiing around the corner using the street (which was covered w/ ice and snow).
I'm sorry, but you probably didn't note that the OP is from Ohio. I'm thinking that a hard winter for the OP is a bit more than what Reno can offer up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Pahrump, NV
2,177 posts, read 2,938,109 times
Reputation: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
you probably didn't note that the OP is from Ohio. I'm thinking that a hard winter for the OP is a bit more than what Reno can offer up.

Ohio? Novato/Northern California isn't anywhere close to Ohio. I'm sure after years away from Ohio the OP has adjusted to California winters. And yes, the winters in Reno are MUCH worse than the winters in Novato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 11:06 AM
 
1,151 posts, read 1,852,195 times
Reputation: 1347
No doubt the winters are worse in Reno than Novato, okay, you got me on that one!!!! But I think you are not giving enough credit to the OP as to remembering winters in the Midwest. I'm sure if you had ever lived through a really rough winter, such as the midwest or east can receive, (I'm making an assumption that you have not) you would understand my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Over here
281 posts, read 535,383 times
Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
It's cold in Reno in the winter? Who knew? Thanks for shedding light on that.

And there is crime? Really? You mean like every other city in the world? Thanks again for your insight.

And people lose in the casinos? Wow. You're just a wealth of information.

To the OP, I wouldn't pay much if any attention to the previous poster's rantings. Reno isn't perfect, but it's a wonderful place to live for many, many people. It wasn't for him, and that's fine - it isn't for everybody - but it could be a good fit for you.

Good luck.
^^^ Love this reply

OP, I have lived in Reno/Sparks for 40 years and yes, there are casinos downtown. Other than an occasional dinner at one of the restaurants there I would never even notice them. Yes, one of the biggest industries is gaming but there are plenty of other tax paying companies/industries here as well. If you don't want to see or deal with casinos you won't need to, they are not in your face everywhere you turn. I would also second the opinion that the North Valley's are not that bad. Sure there's some areas that aren't too pretty, I'd stay away from Sun Valley, but Red Rock and Cold Springs are nice and you can get a good size lot for a decent price.

Since you don't have to worry about jobs or commuting I would take a look at Carson City or Gardnerville. South to Gardnerville and Minden is beautiful, the mountains are right there and there is pasture land everywhere. The Carson Tahoe hospital is new and big and not too far, also it's still just an hour or so from Gardnerville to Reno for when you need to go to the airport or other things. Oh and the other poster mentioned prostitution...it is only legal in rural counties and like gambling, it's really only there if you seek it out!

I'm leaving the area but not because of it's lack of beauty for sure...and I will definitely miss the mountains.

Good luck on your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM
 
440 posts, read 874,914 times
Reputation: 579
Winters can be cold there, but remember, it is a DRY cold, and you will get more snow, but it melts away quickly. I find after moving back to southern Oregon from Reno that I CANNOT tolerate the cold up here. The damp cold is just murder on my bones.

I will take dry cold any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top