U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 AM

111 posts, read 162,297 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle currently. I have pretty much complete flexibility in regards to where I live - work from home. The weather is truly perfect right now. But, not sure I've got a Seattle winter in me. They are brutal if you like doing things outside, as I do. I've spent time in Utah - and honestly looking at your winter temps compared to what I dealt with in Utah are nothing. We would have weeks of temps where it didn't break 20. And below zero every day for weeks.

I'm thinking of spending a winter in Reno. Just 6 months. Would consider Southern California, but not ready to part with 2k every month on rent, and 2 hours every day if I want to drive somewhere.

Other big draw of Reno to me is that like Washington, I don't pay an income tax! And I rent, so property taxes are non-issue for me.

Thoughts? Warnings? Recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 AM

4,575 posts, read 9,609,626 times
I live 18 miles North West, and we had 30 days or so of not above 32, and snow on the ground this last year. As long as the sun is out it feels warmer than 36 and snow, which I'm sure you're aware of. The wife and I were in Seattle (Steilacoom) on June 29, and it was hot at 90. Came home to 95, but not as humid. I've only been here 2 years, but it seems the chilling cold is short, and the blazing heat. This week it will be 50 in the am with highs in the mid 80's. To me, Seattle is pretty in the Summer, but here is year round. We've had big thunderstorms this past month and the desert is really green.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM

111 posts, read 162,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I live 18 miles North West, and we had 30 days or so of not above 32, and snow on the ground this last year. As long as the sun is out it feels warmer than 36 and snow, which I'm sure you're aware of. The wife and I were in Seattle (Steilacoom) on June 29, and it was hot at 90. Came home to 95, but not as humid. I've only been here 2 years, but it seems the chilling cold is short, and the blazing heat. This week it will be 50 in the am with highs in the mid 80's. To me, Seattle is pretty in the Summer, but here is year round. We've had big thunderstorms this past month and the desert is really green.
Hah - you were here like the 1 week of hot weather in Seattle. You could make a fortune selling air conditioners that week and them buying them back the next. I was travelling the Oregon coast that week and missed it - which is unbelievable by the way. I'll probably give Reno a try for a 6 month lease. Seattle can be hard to deal with in the winter. You can go weeks without seeing a dry piece of asphalt. And regardless of how people say the rain doesn't affect their ability to do stuff outside..... it does! I do hate the snow though. One of the things that really gets me about Seattle is that apartments here don't have central heat or AC. Like none of them do. So in winter, it's impossible for me to keep warm. Summers are perfect here though. Just can't beat them. All 2-3 months of summer. And even 3 months is pushing it. Most people say summer in Seattle starts on July 5th and ends the day before labor day.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM

981 posts, read 1,346,267 times
Summers in Reno usually has some triple digit days, some years more than others...and typically in July and August. Otherwise it is usually in the low 80-90's with dry, cool nights in the 50-60's. Of course temps are cooler the farther from the downtown area you get. All that concrete and buildings tend to make it feel warmer in town.

I think winters are fine here. The northwest and north valleys tend to get more snow due to elevation. The south valleys (except the foothill areas) and east of town get less snow and it tends to melt faster. In most cases it will snow overnight and melts by the afternoon. A couple of times each winter we may get snow that sticks around for a few days. Even in the winter most days are sunny. I would say that February is the worst winter month when we can have some foggy mornings and dreary days...but nothing like Seattle! If you like snow sports most ski resorts are only about 20-30 minutes from Reno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area