U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,133,810 times

Advertisements

My Mom & Dad were offered a free stay at the Harrah's in Reno for a week towards the end of October. Both of them love going to Reno and have been many times (up to the 1990s) but they used to go just for gambling and drinking, as they are both climbing towards 70 God love 'em they will still be gambling and drinking (when we were all in Vegas a few months ago they stayed up all night after my wife and I retired back to our room), but they'd like to try a few other things on this trip.

Since I set up their itinerary for their trip to Las Vegas, my Mom has asked me to find stuff for them to do in Reno, but having never been there I'm having some trouble.

They won't want to venture out too far away from the Harrah's because they won't have a car.

They enjoy comedy shows, magic shows and oldies music, as well as country.

I've looked around the web and found some headliners that are going to be there, but there is not going to be anyone they'd particularly like to see during the time they are there.

Any advice on regular shows, comedy venues, anything like that? Beyond shows, anything two older people may enjoy doing? Any MUST SEE'S?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 PM

983 posts, read 1,359,823 times
There's always the National Automobile Museum, Art Museum, plenty of restaurants and food trucks to explore. Rancho San Rafael has a very nice walking path through their arboretum and a little museum that houses the world travel souveniers and life's work of the benefactor Wilbur May. There is a history museum, geology museum, and planetarium at the university. They could also take the intercity bus to Carson City to see the state capital and railroad museum. Bus routes can also take them to Meadowood Mall and Summit Sierra Mall.

The biggest event at the end of October is our state day, Nevada Day. It is the last Friday of the month. Most non-tourist businesses are closed on Friday as a state holiday and there is a big parade in Carson City on Saturday. This year there also happens to be a UNLV vs. UNR football game at the university on Saturday. If they are not into football and crowds, that would be a good day to stay away from the university area, and plan something outside of downtown as well. Downtown will be crawling with UNLV football fans and some of them can be rowdy.

There is a lot to do in Reno almost all year 'round. The weather should be nice, not too hot or cold. Hope they enjoy their stay!

The public bus system is pretty good, runs on time, and inexpensive. There is a free bus called the Spirit Bus that runs up and down Virginia Street from the university to the far south end of downtown. Check out the RTC website

RTC Washoe

Old 08-23-2013, 02:23 AM

67 posts, read 172,980 times
101 Random Things to Do in Reno Tahoe USA | Dining , Races, Events, Arts, Shop & Trip or you can go to www.facebook.com/nevadaneversleeps they will put a free itinaray together for you. They have loads of STate info as well.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,133,810 times
Thanks utsci & Carson, I'm passing along both of your posts to my parents.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 PM

14,267 posts, read 24,025,211 times
While I agree that the Nevada Day and its related activities are well worth a day, they mostly occur in Carson City. For those who have not attended, the parade is 3+ hours (and well worth it), includes a public chili feed and a tour of the Governor's Mansion. It is an absolute blast.

As for the UN vs. UNLV game, that used to be a very interesting game back around 1995 or so when UNLV had a football team. In recent years, it has been lopsided.

It is a shame that both are scheduled for the same day.

Here is one of my favorites:

Wilbur May Center - May Center

Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 PM

67 posts, read 172,980 times
personally i would SKIP the Nevada Day Parade its SAD.... bunch of rickitee flat beds and out of tune tubah playing ----- its a joke and a laugh .....sure youtube has some sad footage to back me up. As per the chili ------ not worth it unless your poor or homeless http://youtu.be/3RvnAzP_yWc

Old 10-09-2013, 05:53 PM

148 posts, read 470,147 times
Check out the Pioneer Center which has a lot of big broadway shows and old stuff like ballets and symphony orchestra stuff. There a nice wine bar downtown, West St Wine Bar.

Reno & Lake Tahoe Calendar of Events and Entertainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area