U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM

4,575 posts, read 9,593,897 times

Advertisements

For the past week or so at night we've been running the ac, because the smoke from the American fire near Colfax has been pretty bad. However, now we have the Rim fire near Groveland (Yosemite & hwy 120) and it's almost 4 X bigger and the smoke is really bad this morning. I usually walk every morning up a 600' climb near my home here in Cold Springs, but I'm going to stay in this morning. I hope the winds shift soon and take some of this away from us. Best wishes to all those fighting these big fires. Here's a picture I took a few minutes ago out my family room door. It is almost erie to see the sun through the smoke like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,781,961 times
I lived in the N. Valleys off of Red Rock for 20 years - this is not the first time the area was smoked in. My sympathies, it can be rather miserable if one is sensitive to it. I never had major issues but I know plenty who did. That Yosemite fire is huge and growing by the minute.
Reno has had it's fair share of large fires also that smoked us out for days. Its one of the hazards of living near the forest

Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 45,724 times
MrWillys,

It was really bad in Spanish Springs yesterday afternoon. Currently living at the top of Highlands Ranch (Sun Valley), building in north S.S. Here's a link to pics. The pics at the bottom of the page (for now anyway) were taken yesterday. RLFARMS.COM/nevada/

Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednutcase View Post
MrWillys,

It was really bad in Spanish Springs yesterday afternoon. Currently living at the top of Highlands Ranch (Sun Valley), building in north S.S. Here's a link to pics. The pics at the bottom of the page (for now anyway) were taken yesterday. RLFARMS.COM/nevada/
The same builder that did Highlands Ranch built my home. We pass by there going to Costco sometimes. I noticed the smoke in your pictures at the bottom. We're scheduled to head down to the Walker river next Thursday with family and friends. I hope we don't have to cancel.
[img]Reno House Construction[/img]

Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I lived in the N. Valleys off of Red Rock for 20 years - this is not the first time the area was smoked in. My sympathies, it can be rather miserable if one is sensitive to it. I never had major issues but I know plenty who did. That Yosemite fire is huge and growing by the minute.
Reno has had it's fair share of large fires also that smoked us out for days. Its one of the hazards of living near the forest
Funny, I assumed downtown was getting it to? Maybe Mount Rose blocks it? I like Red Rock and come home through there in my Jeep sometimes. I really like how quiet it is out here, and cooler too. We pay for it in the Winter as I'm sure you know.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,781,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Funny, I assumed downtown was getting it to? Maybe Mount Rose blocks it? I like Red Rock and come home through there in my Jeep sometimes. I really like how quiet it is out here, and cooler too. We pay for it in the Winter as I'm sure you know.
Yesterday a friend of my son's posted a picture from the parking lot at Scheels in Sparks. Completely smoked in, not a mountain in sight, could not even see downtown and the Nugget was very hazy, like looking through dense fog. It was really eerie

Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,690,467 times
The sun looked like something out of Star Wars yesterday morning. We love that we can open up all night, but have kept it closed the last few days.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 AM

8/25/13 Sunday,
Seems to be quite a bit clearer this am compared with the past couple of days. Someone just jogged down the street, so they must not think it's too bad. I think here in Cold Springs we're still getting smoke from the American which I hear is almost out.

Best wishes to all our firefighters out there!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,690,467 times
I checked the Air Now site when I woke up and the and the PM 2.5 is down considerably to 79 or "moderate." However I checked again now it's back up to 120 or "unhealthy for sensitive groups." Healthy lungs or not, I'd avoid breathing the air as much as possible today. Sunday is our hike day, but I think it's probably best to sit this one out unfortunately.

Hats off to the firefighters as well, without a doubt.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 AM

979 posts, read 1,342,308 times
Between Carson and Reno...we still can't see Mt. Rose, same as the last two days. Thank goodness it's not too hot as we are keeping the windows closed but the AC has not needed to come on. We need wind and drenching rain!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area