Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of retiring from the Army (26 years) and I'm seriously considering moving to the Reno-Sparks area. My wife grew up in the Carson City area and attended schools both in Carson and Fernley. We've traveled there numerous times and I have to admit I feel more and more "at home" every time I return. I'm originally from Montana but can't see myself returning there for various reasons.

I've been reading federal, state and local websites and most if not all of the data states that it would be in my best interests to stay put in Colorado. BUT, I've reached a point in my life that I think that sometimes to find happiness it's more important to live somewhere you want to live vesus living somewhere where you have to live.

I bring with me my wife and daughter, who is about to enter middle school, and no preconceived notions of what we can expect to encounter. I'm solciting your ideas and opinions on how to crack this nugget of 'successfully moving to the Reno area, find a decent place to live and a good school for our daughter.....and finally a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,964,896 times
Personally, if Ihad a child that might be college-bound I would stay in CO so that she can get into great schools at a reasonable in-state price. It would only be 6 more years and the end result for your daughter could be spectacular, depending on her interests.

On the other hand, schools here k-12 and higher ed are absolutely nothing to write home about, except for a few fields. Decent places to live seem to be somewhat available but there is a really low inventory keeping things artificially higher than what I think they should be right now. But given the right circumstances... Jobs, hmmmm, depends on what you do. There are tons of not-quite-full-time (then they don't have to give you benefits) but I'm guessing you might be covered by Champus anyway. If you don't need benefits then there are a lot of jobs to choose from. I wouldn't say that there are a lot of good paying jobs, but there are a quite a few jobs.

Schools are hit or miss, both Carson and Reno. If you are looking for better Reno middle/high schools I would stay in the zone for Reno HS and its feeder middle schools like Swope. I have no idea about Carson City.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 PM

83 posts, read 134,066 times
Funny that we also feel "more at home" in Reno than in any other states we both have lived in to include each of our own home states that we grew up in.

We lived in Reno for a year but didn't have any kids that were school age yet at the time and I did have an issue with finding full time work but the wife was transferred there so she was all set. We only moved out of Reno due to her company transferring us out.

Now we find out selves at a point in life with 2 kids that we would like to find a place that we have that "at home" feeling and are planning to eventually relocate back to Reno.

Best of luck with your decision on what to do. We have made ours its just getting timing and finances down to actually do it.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,851 times
IMO Reno/Sparks is an excellent city for your daughter to continue her education in. I'm raising 2 daughters close to her age myself, so I'll share my perspective with you on schooling and general areas.

If you prefer the mountain type environment, want to be close to Tahoe, like hiking, biking and skiing, Southern Reno and the Galena or Double Diamond area is for you. This would also include Pleasant Valley which is in between Reno and Carson, a beautiful country setting and generally zoned for Galena High School. Galena is a great high school, it's a newer school (1994 was the first graduating class) and offers the benefit of having a higher income population of students. The Galena area its self is at the base of Mt. Rose, has an alpine feel, gated communities and a golf course/country club. Also zoned for Galena is the Zolezzi Lane/Arrowcreek area, same type of gated community but not the Alpine/Mountain feeling as much. The drawback to this area is Pine Middle School, I went to school there myself and wouldn't send my children there. Double Diamond is on the opposite side of Southern Reno from Galena, is a newer community and has a more "cookie cutter" feel to it. Your neighbors will be looking into your backyard, not a lot of yard space there. Double Diamond does have both, a newer (than Galena) High School and Middle School. If you choose to wait until your daughter is ready for high school to move I would also recommend looking into the Foothills area, older homes but a very "homey" or community type feel to it. If you prefer private school, Bishop Manogue is a private, Catholic High School in the Foothills area.

If you've have enough of the mountains in Colorado and prefer the country/desert, like fishing, camping and shooting then I would look at the Spanish Springs/Wingfield Springs area. This part of Reno/Sparks is the Sparks part. Spanish Springs is on Pyramid Hwy heading to Pyramid Lake, about 20-25 mins driving. Pebble Creek is the only gated community I can think of in Spanish Springs. Pyramid Lake is like a mini Havasu, without the houseboats. There's trophy trout fishing Fall, Winter and Spring and Summer camping. Wingfield Springs is less country and more country club. There's a golf course, gated communities and several community pools, depending on which sub-division you live in. Spanish Springs High School and Middle School were built the same year as the schools in Double Diamond and both Spanish Springs and Wingfield Springs are zoned there. Be careful to look at zoning maps in Wingfield, part of it is zoned for Reed High School and while it may be a great school, my opinion is that it's over crowded and I personally, wouldn't send my daughter there (I did consider it though).

That's my literal, two cents about (or two areas) where to raise kids in Reno/Sparks Hope it helps you out with your decisions.

BTW, UNR is an excellent college and you'll qualify for In-State tuition if you plan on moving soon so I really can't see that as a reason to stay in CO. As well, no one could pay me enough to send my daughters to Reno High or Swope or for that matter, to live in the areas zoned for those schools with a pre-teen daughter.

Good luck!

Last edited by MtRose; 07-11-2014 at 10:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area