Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM

340 posts, read 664,773 times

Advertisements

Hello from the midwest! We're moving to Reno in a couple of weeks and will rent a small house or apartment for a year until we get our bearings and decide where to buy a house. We're planning on getting a storage locker to hold a lot of our junk, oops I mean valuable possessions until we buy a house. We'll probably need a size similar to a single-car garage. A couple of questions:

1) Are the humidity levels low enough so that we don't have to worry about tools rusting? Everyone tells me how dry the Reno area is -- does that mean no rust? In our current midwest location I have kept a lot of stuff inside our home in the basement (and running a dehumidifier during the summer) in order to keep rust away. I would prefer not to pay the extra cost for a climate-controlled locker.
2) Do most folks stack their storage locker belongings on pallets, as is common in the midwest in case the concrete floor gets damp? I guess this is related to my first question.
3) Are bugs a problem? Do folks spray the insides of their locker? I've heard that there are relatively few insects in Reno -- but if it could be an issue I would want to spray a bit before we start unloading our stuff.
4) Finally, can anyone recommend a storage facility in the south or southwest part of town? I can find a few reviews online but am always interested in hearing other opinions.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 06:39 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Hello from the midwest! We're moving to Reno in a couple of weeks and will rent a small house or apartment for a year until we get our bearings and decide where to buy a house. We're planning on getting a storage locker to hold a lot of our junk, oops I mean valuable possessions until we buy a house. We'll probably need a size similar to a single-car garage. A couple of questions:

1) Are the humidity levels low enough so that we don't have to worry about tools rusting? Everyone tells me how dry the Reno area is -- does that mean no rust? In our current midwest location I have kept a lot of stuff inside our home in the basement (and running a dehumidifier during the summer) in order to keep rust away. I would prefer not to pay the extra cost for a climate-controlled locker.
2) Do most folks stack their storage locker belongings on pallets, as is common in the midwest in case the concrete floor gets damp? I guess this is related to my first question.
3) Are bugs a problem? Do folks spray the insides of their locker? I've heard that there are relatively few insects in Reno -- but if it could be an issue I would want to spray a bit before we start unloading our stuff.
4) Finally, can anyone recommend a storage facility in the south or southwest part of town? I can find a few reviews online but am always interested in hearing other opinions.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!
Keep your lids on tight or it dries up. It is so dry here you have to buy wipers every year. Rust would only be an issue if left outside.

Welcome to Reno, and I hope you enjoy it.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Keep your lids on tight or it dries up. It is so dry here you have to buy wipers every year. Rust would only be an issue if left outside.

Welcome to Reno, and I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks for the advice! Our bodies are looking forward to a change in climate, and if the tools live longer, that's an added plus.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:43 AM

36 posts, read 55,193 times
We moved here a year ago from a ranch in California with a 5000 sq ft barn for storage. As a result, we ended up renting three storage units 10 x 30 each to store our non essential worldly possesions (it's NOT the money, IT'S the STUFF)... The place we used was Spanish Springs Mini Storage (Vista just north of Disk in Sparks) (we lived in rental house in Highlands Ranch)... Office staff was very pleasent and cost wasn't too bad. Even with snow and snow melt you don't need palets..... Never saw any bugs or rodents in any of our units... It is dry here most of the time, only a few humid days in mid summer (like a day or two this last week). WE LOVE IT HERE......

Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 AM

Thanks Fred -- that's good to know. I'll check out that storage facility too. Right now it's high season for bugs back here in the midwest and it will be a nice treat to live far away from them.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
We rent a 10x25 foot storage with 12' ceilings in Stead (about 15 minutes from Reno). There are no bugs here, nothing rusts inside a storage locker but there can be rodents, we have had mice in our house shortly after we moved in but put out trays of decon and haven't had a problem since. The managers of the storage we rent puts out rodent traps but I haven't seen evidence of infestation in our storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area