U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:53 PM

979 posts, read 1,338,245 times

Advertisements

Ski resorts offer pre-sales on season passes so if you like one particuar resort some people go for that. I didn't buy one this year, but adult passes tend to run $400-600. If we have a really bad snow year or late snow there are often specials available on the resort websites... 2 for 1, women's day, senior's day, etc and some can be incredibly cheap if you can get away during the week.

Jobs...I have seen an increase of jobs since the beginning of the year. But now IGT and Microsoft are having layoffs. So if you are into warehousing, nursing, call centers Reno is the place for you. Remember that it is not an inexpensive area to live, pretty average. So a part-time/no benefits or $30k/year job will probably leave you a bit hungry at the end of the month. And gas is not cheap here (our gas taxes are one of the highest in the country for Washoe County) so it is smart to live close to your job even if the apartment or house costs a bit more. You will burn far more in gas money over the years by living in cheaper housing farther away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 02:12 AM

10 posts, read 23,083 times
Default Good Jewish Food

Hello Naomi

I am Jewish and am making plans to move to the Reno or Sparks area. Are there any good Jewish Deli Restaurants in that area?

Also what areas should I move to and what areas to stay away from. I of course prefer crime free areas. I live in Saint George, Utah now originally from Maryland.

Fred

Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,325,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahperson View Post
Hello Naomi

I am Jewish and am making plans to move to the Reno or Sparks area. Are there any good Jewish Deli Restaurants in that area?

Also what areas should I move to and what areas to stay away from. I of course prefer crime free areas. I live in Saint George, Utah now originally from Maryland.

Fred
If you are used to Jewish delis in NY, no... Even LA has pretty good NY Jewish deli (still not on par with NY ones though).

People say Round's Bakery has the best bagels in the area. I did not find that at all. I actually find Safeway's bakery has pretty darn close to NY bagels believe it or not. There really is no Jewish style bakery. I tried to find hamatascans around Purim and no bakeries had them (trust me I called up several and even called up the 2 synagogues in town). It was funny because 2 bakeries said I was like the 3rd person who asked about them (If the Jewish population here was significant, a Jewish bakery would do well LOL).

The closest you will find to a Jewish deli is Manhattan Deli in the Atlantis (it tries but it really isn't), and Newman's.

The Jewish population here is pretty insignificant (part of the reason I plan on leaving). I work in an industry where most people have graduate degrees and PHDs and I still have met few Jews. I've gone to some synagogue events here and while most I met were nice, nearly everyone I met could have been my grandmother or grandfather. I'm actually going to make a point of going to Jewish things here more just so I could be around Jews.

This board can point you into demographics and locations better than I can because I'm still a Reno newbie. My favorite part of town is Southwest Reno. South Reno and NorthWest Reno are nice too. I'm not sure if you are renting or buying. NW to be has a lot of new homes and is a newer community that's trying to get built up. I like more established, older neighborhoods like in SW Reno. The homes in SW Reno just seem to have character, there's a lot of trees and it's just the prettiest neighborhood in Reno IMO. As far as crime, around Well's Ave, certain places off 80 (I had a friend who lived walking distance to the shelter on Record St and it wasn't a place you want to walk around at day or night), and certain parts of Sparks.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 PM

21,333 posts, read 23,936,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post

The Jewish population here is pretty insignificant (part of the reason I plan on leaving). I work in an industry where most people have graduate degrees and PHDs and I still have met few Jews. I've gone to some synagogue events here and while most I met were nice, nearly everyone I met could have been my grandmother or grandfather. I'm actually going to make a point of going to Jewish things here more just so I could be around Jews.

Have you driven over to Tahoe and mingled with their Jewish population around the Kings Beach area?

Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Have you driven over to Tahoe and mingled with their Jewish population around the Kings Beach area?
Well it isn't like I go to the beach and wait until I hear some people that look like Goldberg's or Cohen's, so no. I have gone to the temple before that's in Lake Tahoe and it consisted of just some tight knit families and retired people wanting to socialize with other retired people. There's a Chabad too but their views don't really align with my own. The Jewish religion in general has a difficult time finding young, single people to become members unless they are more religious. I'm not religious but keeping in tune with my culture and keeping in contact with my fellow people is important to me.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 AM

21,333 posts, read 23,936,393 times
Quote:
Well it isn't like I go to the beach and wait until I hear some people that look like Goldberg's or Cohen's, so no. I have gone to the temple before that's in Lake Tahoe and it consisted of just some tight knit families and retired people wanting to socialize with other retired people. There's a Chabad too but their views don't really align with my own. The Jewish religion in general has a difficult time finding young, single people to become members unless they are more religious. I'm not religious but keeping in tune with my culture and keeping in contact with my fellow people is important to me.
You're really not going to find many Jews of your age group (+10 yrs) near your area or even connected to UNR. As to Lake Tahoe, I inquired with some family there and they basically told me that most (within your age group) are living in San Francisco and Sacramento. Once one gets to a higher level of education there may be jobs, but few careers to have growth in. And thus is the current economy, growth in ones field takes precedence over relationships and religious connections. Personally I don't see Judaism in the US is going to have much growth outside of the LA & NY metro areas. I look at my kids and even though they had a Jewish upbringing they are Conservative light but not Reform. In the current times you basically have to make a choice of one or the other. Either that or maybe Aliya is in your future.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 AM

30,882 posts, read 13,363,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Accounting.
My son is an accountant, he graduated from UNR, after graduation he stayed in Reno for two years and the only jobs he could find were in the $15-$18 an hour range. He moved to Northern California and got a job as an accountant with local government for 55k a year. He pays more for housing there but still comes out way ahead. My husband works in IT for a company in Reno that has a large AR department, over the past few years they have quit doing direct hires for accountants and bookkeepers and only hire through temp agencies.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 AM

30,882 posts, read 13,363,058 times
Quote:
It's been a hard and lonely experience here for me as a transplant but I'm reaching that mark soon! I'm hoping some of my suggestions here help people!

Pizza- True NY Pizza in Sparks. This is probably the best pizza I have ever had in CA and NV. I cannot eat mediocre pizza.

Coffee Shop/Diner- Black Bear Diner (I go to the one on S. Virginia St.). I love the breakfasts and lunches here. Great comfort food.

Dog Boarding/Daycare- A Doggy's Dream by the airport. If you work for certain employers in town, they will give you a little discount. If you also buy a package, you can leave your dog there until 8:30. I try to pick up my dog right after work but on the rare occasion that I go out at night, I can can. My dog is in daycare here whenever I am at work. I work overtime just to pay for him LOL.

Bar- I like Silver Peak on Wonder.

Movies- $5 all day on Tuesday movies through Cinemark!!! I rarely go to the movie theater but once in awhile I miss the experience and go.

Groceries- I love the prices and bakery at WinCo. I also love the Whole Foods here. The Whole Foods here is the biggest WF I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot in CA! They have a coffee bar, a beer bar, and lots of people will go here for lunch.

Spa- The spa at the Atlantis is one of the best spas that I have ever been to in my life and I am a high maintenance girl! I believe a day pass is $60 which is not good value because for $95 you get the day pass and a facial (making the facial $35 which is CHEAP for a good facial!). I can spend all day here. I find the salt rooms very relaxing and like the shower that makes all the storm noises! They also give local discounts on certain days as do most hotel spas here. I've been meaning to check out Peppermill's spa, but I just haven't yet.

LIFE IN RENO IN GENERAL FOR ME-
It's gotten easier the longer I've been here but it's clear this isn't the city for me. I'm 29 though and need to establish my career and right now, Reno is the place to help me establish it. I'm hoping to end up back in Southern Calif. hopefully after my 2nd year here. I just find I have no real connection to anyone here. The depression that I experienced here was so bad that I started getting back on antidepressants (I've had a history of it during my life), seeing a therapist, and adopting a dog. Diet and exercise are obviously important too, but I needed help beyond that. I've tried different Meetup groups with no real connection with anyone forming. I've gone to 2 local synagogues here and went to different events but felt like a fish out of water. I either met families or the elderly. And no, I never met people my age through them even though my mother insists that it will happen one day. I've tried several online dating sites here and cannot meet a man in his late 20s-early 40s, with no kids, college educated, well traveled, doesn't hunt or fish, and is Jewish/Agnostic/Atheist, whom I have some attraction too. I really don't think that's too picky as those things describe who I am, but some here will say that is which is fine. I did date a Reno native for half a year here and it ended. It ended largely because I realized it would never just be the 2 of us (it ended up being 4...). I tried to date dads but realize I just cannot even if that means no romance! I'm getting older now and realize people have kids at my age but nope, just cannot do it! This was the first city where I found many singles that I met have kids. In LA and San Diego, it wasn't that uncommon to find people in their 30s who never had kids but I find it is common here for people in my age in Reno to have them.

I've gone to wine walks which are fine but really haven't met anyone where we hung out beyond the wine walk, and the pub crawls (I've been to 2) cater to drunks or people younger than me. I also have gone to the adult events at the Discovery Museum but they have sucked every time that I have been there. I also did an obedience class with my dog but didn't meet any friends. I gave up long ago on meeting people here. I think about that quote "You will find someone when you least expect it" and well, nope, hasn't happened to me! I'm pretty much focused on my job, getting into my shape, and taking care of my dog. I didn't realize how much I missed Southern Calif. until I left. I have used 2 weeks of my vacation time recently here where I went to Jewish Singles' parties, went to the beach, and went to different cultural festivals. When there was snow here I wanted to cry. I hated driving in it and walking my dog in it. I learned that the snow we had last year was nothing and that scares me!

I don't want to seem like I am negging (okay maybe I am) because Reno is a nice city and I can see why people love it.
Your assessment is right, it's really tough for a younger single person who doesn't hang out in bars to make friends in Reno. My son felt the same way about Reno as you do, he is a very bright, politically liberal atheist and desperately tried to find a half way normal woman to date, and finally gave up. His experience was that a good number of them wanted to convert him to their faith (usually Evangelical Christian) or they had kids, he had not issue with the kids but didn't want to get involved when the ex was a huge part of mom's life hanging out at her house daily, and going places with she and the kids. He finally gave up and moved to Oakland and is absolutely thrilled with the diversity and the opportunities to meet people. It sounds like you are a bit of a foodie, have you participated in Yelp? There are lots of local yelpers in your age group and they do have get togethers. Good luck to you, I've lived here 14 years and I'm moving back to California, I would have left a lot sooner if I were young and single

Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,036,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My son is an accountant, he graduated from UNR, after graduation he stayed in Reno for two years and the only jobs he could find were in the $15-$18 an hour range. He moved to Northern California and got a job as an accountant with local government for 55k a year. He pays more for housing there but still comes out way ahead. My husband works in IT for a company in Reno that has a large AR department, over the past few years they have quit doing direct hires for accountants and bookkeepers and only hire through temp agencies.
Working through a temp agency is my fall back plan.

I am 47 and looking to downshift. A job paying $15 - $18 would be OK with me, provided my responsibilities reflected the wage.

This is good info for me, thank you 2sleepy.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You're really not going to find many Jews of your age group (+10 yrs) near your area or even connected to UNR. As to Lake Tahoe, I inquired with some family there and they basically told me that most (within your age group) are living in San Francisco and Sacramento. Once one gets to a higher level of education there may be jobs, but few careers to have growth in. And thus is the current economy, growth in ones field takes precedence over relationships and religious connections. Personally I don't see Judaism in the US is going to have much growth outside of the LA & NY metro areas. I look at my kids and even though they had a Jewish upbringing they are Conservative light but not Reform. In the current times you basically have to make a choice of one or the other. Either that or maybe Aliya is in your future.

Yeah you just said what I told my mom. I said that there just aren't many Jews in Reno especially in my age range. Sacramento and San Francisco definitely has more but it's nothing like how it was in LA. My mom insists I could find someone through UNR's med school and that has yet to happen LOL. UNR doesn't even have a Hillel or Chabad. It's impossible for me to date here and I have started to open up outside of religion (here anyway) but my "musts" are just not very common in Reno (someone with no kids, into recycling, someone with a college education, well traveled, and doesn't hunt or fish). Even though I just rejoined some dating sites I more or less have been taking a dating hiatus in Reno. It just kind of stinks because I'm turning 30 this year and really do what settle down with someone (when that time comes). Yeah I know people may say "you are still young", but if I have kids, I don't want to be an "old mom". Socially Reno is not the place for a single person with no kids, who isn't from here IMO. Almost every guy on Match.com in Reno is a single dad. It seems common here to have kids really young, which is fine but not something I would have wanted for myself. If I wasn't trying to establish my career I would have left by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or