U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 AM

8,700 posts, read 5,062,944 times

Advertisements

On my last visit to Reno, I drove up to Stead just to see what it was like there. I couldn't figure out where the locals did their shopping and other business (banking, doctors). There seemed to really be a lot of homes and people living in the area, so I was puzzled.

There was the one exit off 395 just south of Stead which had a few big box stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc. (Don't recall the name of the exit). Other than that, I saw nothing but a few strip malls on Stead. The strip malls were seedy looking and seemed to contain nothing but convenience stores and restaurants.

Did I miss a commercial area? Do the north valleys residents just go to the one exit or else make a trip into Reno proper?

Since the north valleys area is relatively new, perhaps there is more shopping planned? Perhaps the recession just delayed building?

By "shopping", I do mean grocery, pharmacy, hardware, etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 PM

979 posts, read 1,343,345 times
Golden Valley has the grocery stores, Walmart, and fast food. Not sure if they have any big box hardware stores. There is a Home Depot at the North McCarran exit.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 AM

4,575 posts, read 9,597,834 times
North Valleys shopping center off Golden Valley has a Raleys, Renown satellite for health, post office, and a few other shops. The Lemmon Ave exit is Smiths, B of A, True Value hardware, Grocery Outlet, Big Lots, and other stores including the Malwart that caused our Scolari's to close that I really miss. Stead Blvd has Maverick and a few stores in an Older strip mall. This area is older, because of the old Airforce base. I have my shirts laundered here, and my doctor is on Stead and Silver Lake. Once a week we drive to Sparks Costco, and other specialty items you have to go to town. I've also noticed there's not one Motel in the North Valleys. What I like about being in Cold Springs is reduced traffic. Whenever I drop down the hill into the meadows I know to expect more traffic. We also are typically cooler than downtown which I enjoy.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 AM

Is the trip down the hill icy/snowy in the winter?

The home prices in north valleys are attractive. I am still working, so wondered if the daily commute might be a bit treacherous in the winter.

I would enjoy being cooler than downtown too.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 AM

So maybe I should have stayed on 395 a bit longer? I got off on Stead and drove around, eventually headed back south.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post

The home prices in north valleys are attractive. I am still working, so wondered if the daily commute might be a bit treacherous in the winter.

This is where we live.

woodlandvillage.net | Woodland Village Association

There is a $33 a month HOA fee, that keeps the common areas nice, and snow removed from sidewalks in Winter. Town is 18 miles, and the freeway and roads can have snow that slows traffic up. If you get off at Redrock and drive out a ways there's lots with acreage and big homes.
I'm semi retired with only a hobby that keeps me home. My wife counts money for Salvation Army before Xmas, so when it snows I take her there. It can be treacherous, so it will have to be a decision you make. I will say it is nice and quiet out here, and they're building new homes again.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So maybe I should have stayed on 395 a bit longer? I got off on Stead and drove around, eventually headed back south.
Yes, I'm at exit 83 at Bordertown. Turn right and drive back about 2 miles into Woodland Village. Home prices have rebounded, but value for dollar is still real good out here compared with closer to town. Around $160,000 will get you into a smaller house and go as high as $250,000 for the largest. We also are on natural gas, so no huge propane bills.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:47 PM

30,893 posts, read 13,440,942 times
Quote:

My husband works in Stead and we live in Reno, he has never had any issues driving to or from work in the winter, the only 'disaster' he ever had was when he got caught in a windstorm and sand blowing from a construction area peeled most of the paint off of his car. I don't notice North Valleys being cooler than Reno, we rent a storage locker in Stead and it always seems to be either hotter or colder there than it is in Reno, but that might just be my perception since I am never thrilled to have to drive out there and dig around in a storage for something that I can't find in the house

Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 AM

Currently, it is 56 in Cold Springs, and 65 at the Airport. Today we're forecasted a high of 83, and the airport in the Meadows is 88.

Cold Springs, Nevada (89506) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground

Old 07-23-2014, 12:20 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,782,686 times
I drove up and down 395 from the Red Rock Exit to Reno/Sparks every work day for 16 years, there were a few times that ice/snow was an issue, that is when you just slow down, go in late, leave early or just plain stay home. Overall when the weather is bad, the highways are the best place to be. They get plowed first and are maintained much better than any surface street.

IMO on those awful snowy days, I was very thankful to get off at Red Rock and not have to traverse over the big hill to Cold Springs Valley.

We did the majority of our shopping in Reno/Sparks proper along with most entertainment and eating out.

The N. Valleys has HomeTown Café in Lemmon Valley, great little dive, excellent breakfast! Also, always enjoyed Fiesta Mexicana on Stead Blvd across from O'Brien middle school. Used to go to the Sneakers Bar on Stead Blvd every once in a great while, the food was inconsistent but the blue drinks were always good!

We moved from the area the same time as the new Wal-Mart opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or