Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,831 times

Advertisements

Actually, Washoe County has a personal property tax for businesses (stuff you use in your business), and Nevada has a commercial use tax. This isn't surprising given Nevada's lack of personal income tax ... the state has to run on something.

That said, in my mind, it's rather inaccurate to focus on the Sacramento area as "Northern California" ... depending on how you look at these things, San Francisco and the Bay Area are also in Northern California, as might San Jose/Silicon Valley be, so the prices there are sky high compared to other places in Northern California, let alone Reno.

Similarly, Los Angeles County is so large that it would be helpful to pinpoint what area is being discussed, and thus what costs might be involved. Are we talking about South Central, or Beverly Hills?

Food and staples, I'd say, are more or less even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No matter what all the comparison sites tell you there are some things that are bargains and some things that aren't in every state.
I would say that that is true. And I'd add that nowhere is going to be incredibly cheap unless you're willing to do without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
That said, in my mind, it's rather inaccurate to focus on the Sacramento area as "Northern California" ... depending on how you look at these things, San Francisco and the Bay Area are also in Northern California, as might San Jose/Silicon Valley be, so the prices there are sky high compared to other places in Northern California, let alone Reno.
I used Sacramento because it is in Northern California, and is the closest California metro area to Reno, and median income is within 4K annually. To compare Reno to San Francisco gets really nutty because while rent is probably 4 times higher than in Reno, the median wage is higher by about 60k - using the bay area as a comparison to anything except perhaps LA and New York simply makes no sense

Old 10-27-2014, 01:48 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,831 times
You may be right for some purposes.

On the other hand, it makes perfect sense for people in, say, San Francisco to know that the cost of living in Reno is so much lower. That is precisely the point for some folks who have moved here from Northern or Southern California.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 PM

49 posts, read 68,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
On the other hand, it makes perfect sense for people in, say, San Francisco to know that the cost of living in Reno is so much lower. That is precisely the point for some folks who have moved here from Northern or Southern California.
Agreed. My husband and I work in the basin of LA and the housing costs is so extreme. We were searching and not even with a budget of 500k would suffice for a decent area/house with less than an hours commute. We realized that our high wages is not worth the stress of commuting and living in an area we are not happy with. My husband just took a job in Reno where he skipped some steps in the ladder with excellent incentives. I won't be working but he can cover my end now. I can be a stay at home mom (due in April). My rationale is that having a happy (stress free) family where a parent stays home supercedes anything that might seem inconvenient. In short, the benefits our way the negative.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:57 AM

49 posts, read 68,994 times
*Update*
So in three days the company flew us out and we searched for a home. We looked in different areas of Reno, including Sparks but settled on a home in Double Diamond. It is now in Escrow and I am so excited! I was happy to see the young families and SAHM at the parks. Thanks for the input, I think it definitely affected our "picks".

Old 12-06-2014, 11:02 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Thumbs up Congrats KnightStar05!

I really like the Double Diamond area . I stayed in that area for a month last fall checking out the Reno area and it has everything a family would want or need imo. But I was also impressed with a lot of the Sparks area too . I think for me, I would have chosen whichever area was closest to my job if I had decided to stay there.

Best wishes! Happy Holidays! I hope that you enjoy your new home and city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightStar05 View Post
*Update*
So in three days the company flew us out and we searched for a home. We looked in different areas of Reno, including Sparks but settled on a home in Double Diamond. It is now in Escrow and I am so excited! I was happy to see the young families and SAHM at the parks. Thanks for the input, I think it definitely affected our "picks".

Old 12-06-2014, 11:47 PM

152 posts, read 263,525 times
Congrats! When I lived in Double Diamond I was within walking distance to 3 parks!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,780 times
Hi,
We are also moving to the reno area with middle school children. I was just wondering why you said the schools were so bad? Davidson Academy for gifted children is one of the top schools in the country. Also, what about the magnet school program and the Advanced Academic programs within the Washoe school district? Are these programs new? I am reading all about these programs and see that several of the schools are top rated by Great Schools and Niche. A score of 10, for instance at Katelyn Depoali, Hunsburger, Billinghurst, Caughlin Ranch and Roy Gomm. Please fill me in because we are about to move there and I need to know which school would be best! Thank you! Is there any kind of moms group for school age kids to get this info?

Old 06-04-2015, 01:03 PM

152 posts, read 263,525 times
2014 School Info from the Reno Gazette: See how Nevada ranks Washoe schools

If you're interested, this is 2013 information which, in addition to "stars," has the more specific "point" scores.
Map: Washoe County district releases school rankings | Reno Gazette-Journal | rgj.com

And here are the zoning maps.
Zoning Information / Zoning

Old 06-04-2015, 08:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,516 times
The problem is more about administration. There are some high achieving schools. But when you compare NV schools nationally it is downright dismal. If your kids have to go to public school then be sure you are in the right zone for the high achieving schools. You will not be able to get a variance for these schools if you are out of zone as they are overcrowded already.
The Davidson Academy is only for the very highly gifted and students are accepted on test scores. To qualify students need to be above the 99th percentile.

The Davidson Academy of Nevada ~ Admissions - Qualification Criteria

The advanced academic programs all had waiting lists miles long last year. They are fairly new and lots of kids are trying to get in.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area