Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 12,641 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband is in the final stages of a possible job transfer to Reno, NV. We have visited a few times, but have not spend a ton of time getting to know the ins and outs of the city. We have friends who live in Incline Village, but I know that is an entirely different world. My questions are:

1) I see that education is a challenging area. We are completely fine with supplementing the education, but where are the best schools? We have a 6th grader and a 2nd grader. Is the bullying situation bad? What are local kids into?
2) Since we are somewhat unfamiliar with the area we will most likely rent for a year before committing to buying a home. Where are the best apartments or does anyone know of really great rental homes (we are hoping to keep rent under $1000/month and have many great references on how well we take care of properties)
3) I am a social worker (food stamps and TANF) and will be looking for a new job. Does anyone know of any opportunities for me to find decent employment?

This will be a major move for us and I would like to know the possibilities before he gets too committed. We are an outdoorsy type family and I am sure we will enjoy the outdoors activities. I just need to know if it will be possible to get established quickly and in the right area so that my children do not suffer too much upheaval.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 03:57 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,959,519 times
If you can afford it, try to find a rental property in south Reno. Depending on your lifestyle I would shoot for the Pleasant Valley ES, Hunsberger ES, or Caughlin Ranch ES zones. I would probably shoot for Caughlin or Hunsberger in your case to keep your kids together at the same school for at least the first year. Pleasant Valley only keeps them through 5th grade. If you can help it do not get zoned for Brown. It has an enormous population this year (I heard 800+) with multiple portable units. I'm guessing lunch times are going to start at 10:30 and end at 2, LOL, just to get all the kids fed in shifts. Probably not that bad, but I would avoid it as there is no way not to just be a number in an elementary school that big.
Bullying...every school has it. Remember that excelling at playground politics is going to help later in adult life. I don't condone any abuse, but there are always going to be cliques of people in any social situation. What are they into? the same things as all kids...music, movies, clothes, iPods, cell phones. Encourage them to read as much as possible and get involved in sports or whatever interests them so that they meet kids beyond their school friends. Your oldest will move on to middle school this year or next. I like Swope and Billinghurst (though not in your ES zones for B'hurst). But middle schools in Washoe County seem like a huge black hole. Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. I would shoot for Reno HS to be your HS zone in the end. It is your best choice in the area. I don't believe it is going to affect the kids, but there is a huge problem here with the current superintendent and board of trustees. If I had kids in school right now I would be tempted to homeschool and just be void of all the WCSD issues. We homeschooled from 2nd grades until graduation with a gifted child who was not challenged at all. My husband was a high school teacher here for 11 years before he finally bailed. Homeschooling is easy here. All you have to do is fill out the form each year, they don't care what you teach them or how you teach them, no testing is required. Our daughter started college at 15 and is now 23 in grad school. It can be done.

Apartments are pretty pricey here. With a family in the areas that you are striving for there will be some rental houses. You may have to expand your price range though. I know someone renting in the Caughlin zone and will ask what they are paying for the house. The desirable part of town is going to be more expensive. I'm thinking Caughlin is going to cost around $1800 for a 3/2 and Hunsberger more like $2000 for a 3/2. Pets are about the only thing that's going to limit you further.

Decent employment in your field is going to be a state or county job, preferably state. Its pretty competitive to get in. But even if you can get in at a lower level than your qualifications dictate, take it anyway. You can move up pretty quickly and the benefits are pretty good.

Where are you moving from?

Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,218,322 times
Check out Coral Academy of Sciences - the campus is not located in the best area, they are in some of the worst but the education is splendid. This is a public charter school with an excellent reputation.
They have an elem as well as a secondary campus located a mile or so apart from each other.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the info! We are currently in Illinois

Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 AM

Moved here from Illinois too. You will be seriously disappointed in schools. Kids do not have daily PE here unless they sign up for it in HS as a class and they only require 1 or 2 years to graduate. The standards academically really lack. And only but the better schools will you find enough parents who put any effort behind their student's education compared to the Midwest. But Caughlin and Hunsberger (especially) have very active parents.

I think the charter schools are also a good option if you are willing/able to transport.

We love the weather and quality of life here. There are a few things like education that are not right here, but overall it's a great place!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,928 times
If you would like to have your kids go to schools that are not a long bus ride away, I recommend living in Double Diamond. There is a middle school and elementary school within the neighborhood.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the info. Which elementary is it?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:22 PM

I would seriously look at the stats for Double Diamond ES. They have had multiple problems with the principal and some parents over the last few years. And there is a ginormous subsidized apartment complex across the street. I'm guessing their demographics and testing scores are not that great.

Per this map, Pleasant Valley has some of the Double Diamond kids.

http://www.washoeschools.net/cms/lib...SZoningMap.pdf

They would certainly have a longer bus ride, but I personally would not put my kids at Double Diamond ES. However, PVES does not have 6th grade so your older one would be at Damonte Ranch MS...average middle school, nothing special, nothing particularly bad or good. And since I believe you are renting for the first year Double Diamond, as a place to find a rental house or apartment is not a bad area to choose. But you will not find large lots there. The development was very well thought out by the developers to make the most money from the property. So while there are lots of parks and walking paths, most of the lots are miniscule at best.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info what is the apartment complex so I can steer clear?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 PM

Diamond Creek Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: