Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:15 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I just don't buy into the negative. When you consider that the entire roof of the Tesla building is PV panels, and if nothing is produced then no energy is used, and no tax credits are given. My dad taught me one thing that has served me well. If one searches for negative they will surely find it. Why waste life's precious time dwelling in the negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
Tesla coming to Reno will spur other business also.

Tesla Expected to Attract Other Business to Truckee Meadows - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Old 10-16-2014, 10:06 AM

66 posts, read 70,091 times
Not to be negative Mrwillys but it seems these "jobs" are 5 times in numbers of what they really will be. Really that many jobs (6500) for a battery plant? I think we have government forcasters on the loose. Undoubtedly the money that stays here will bump housing prices and raise prices all around and there is no such thing as a "clean" battery plant so they build it out in a low population area with low reg. Added truck traffic is a for sure. They should be using rail.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:48 PM

843 posts, read 2,216,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother1 View Post
Not to be negative Mrwillys but it seems these "jobs" are 5 times in numbers of what they really will be. Really that many jobs (6500) for a battery plant? I think we have government forcasters on the loose. Undoubtedly the money that stays here will bump housing prices and raise prices all around and there is no such thing as a "clean" battery plant so they build it out in a low population area with low reg. Added truck traffic is a for sure. They should be using rail.
As is typical with these things, they extrapolate from extrapolations. They assume that 10 jobs at the factory will create another 100 in retail (for example), just piling guesses upon guesses until the numbers buy enough support from people that they think they can get away with it.

All of this without any regard to downsides, subtraction never enters into these equations.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:17 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,518,215 times
whether it's 10 jobs, 100 jobs, or 1000 jobs, it's still nice to see good paying jobs come to town

Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Here's a recent update on some of the projections

Quote:
Tesla Motor’s forthcoming battery factory in northern Nevada is expected to create over 20,000 jobs—sparking an unprecedented boost in the state’s population, making a dent in the 7.7 percent unemployment rate and helping the struggling housing market.

The number of new jobs is significant because Nevada has 95,000 unemployed. The four counties nearest to the planned Tesla “gigafactory” in northern Nevada in the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center – where most of the jobs are expected --have a total of 18,296 unemployed, according to Nevada state demographer Jeff Hardcastle of the University of Nevada, Reno.
The Nevada Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) said the Tesla factory will create up to 6,500 new on-site jobs with an average wage in excess of $25 per hour. Tesla said it expects to employ 6,500 workers by the eighth year the factory is open. The GOED forecast 16,000 indirect jobs will also be created-- generating an economic impact of nearly $40 billion over 20 years. Sixteen percent of the jobs are expected to be in retail trade; 13 percent in wholesale trade; 12 percent in construction and administrative and support services. Professional, scientific, and technical services at 11 percent; food services at 8 percent and Health Care at 8 percent.

Hardcastle also forecast that by 2018, the “Tesla bump” will increase the state’s population by about 4,000 people–with a total increase of 35,000 in the next two decades, an increase of about 1.3 percent of the state population of 2.8 million.The Teslafactory also is expected to help the Nevada housing market, where one in 520 homes is in foreclosure—one of the worst rates in America.Hardcastle said that over the next two decades, the state expects to pick up 28,000 immigrants looking for housing—meaning some 10,500 new households.
Hardcastle also said Washoe County, near the factory, will likely see the greatest spike in home purchases and rentals. Some 17,000 units went vacant there between 2000 and 2010. “You’d expect to see a substantial number of those vacant units to be absorbed in addition to potential to new construction,” Hardcastle said . The influx of residents also is expected to generate an increase in sales and property tax revenue and could also create an indirect improvement in services such as health care, according to Hardcastle.

The factory is expected to create enough lithium-ion battery packs for 500,000 electric cars by 2020. Hardcastle said the Tesla factory will create and secure a new “manufacturing base” in northwestern Nevada that has the potential for even more spinoff sectors. “It may help reinforce some smaller energy and battery firms here,” Hardcastle said.

New Tesla factory expected to boost Nevada jobs, population | Fox News

Old 11-01-2014, 11:43 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
It's great that they are in Northern Nevada, that is undeniable. What bothers me is that everyone who gets a bill from NV Energy will be paying more to make up for the discount on electricity that is being given to Tesla, that is just disgusting.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:04 AM

340 posts, read 664,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's great that they are in Northern Nevada, that is undeniable. What bothers me is that everyone who gets a bill from NV Energy will be paying more to make up for the discount on electricity that is being given to Tesla, that is just disgusting.
The increase in electric costs was estimated at $1.52 per household (RGJ 9/10/2014). When I think of all the other taxes that the government sucks out of our pockets, this seems fairly trivial by comparison, especially if it was considered necessary to allow NV to beat the other states in the bidding war for Tesla's location.

All in all, a great win for NV.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:45 PM

340 posts, read 664,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
The increase in electric costs was estimated at $1.52 per household (RGJ 9/10/2014).
I meant to add "per year"; in other words, an increase of $1.52 per household per year.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 AM

87 posts, read 92,743 times
with all the toxic run off (yes there will be lots of it no mater what is done) what will happen to the local ground water supply's? or is this a topic that is not to be talked about?
if not for the job i have now..and snow i would move there yesterday. not for a motor car company but for a better life. over the restricted Ca deal.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area