U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,280,033 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl75 View Post
how can someone's opinion have "virtually no truth"?
i didn't read it all, it was too long and i dislike this place enough on my own. i still find it ridiculous when people react to a poster's negative response about Reno.
so some of us think this place SUCKS...so what? our opinion counts as much as anyone elses. someone might find it useful.

i don't like sushi but my husband thinks it's the greatest. he doesn't lash out at me everytime i give an "eww" face and tell me that i'm wrong about not liking it's taste.

reno=sushi
Who said I like Reno?

Opinions often contain no truth. Why does that surprise you?

And people who go "eww" at Sushi are generally uneducated. And their opinions express that lack of education. Would you ask for an opinion on a subject from someone who is uneducated in the subject?

 
Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
 
59 posts, read 246,468 times
Reputation: 97
Ah hah!! I somehow knew I'd get somebody's ire stoked up with my last "painful observation" of a generally BUNK area of the country. Just for the "record", I lived in the so-called "exclusive" enclave of Palm Springs and Palm Desert for twenty years, and sold and exhibited my paintings in the area art galleries for many years.

If I'm "an unsuccessful, disgruntled" person, it's not without some effort on my part, eh? I've probably TURNED DOWN more "golden opportunities" in my life than any five people. The facts speak for themselves about Reno, Carson City AND Nevada in general. The local nightly news is FILLED with very serious, and yes.....NEGATIVE information concerning the "loser state" of Nevada.

Now unless these newscasts are relentlessly pulling the wool over viewers eyes and the newspapers are filled with similar "wrong information", the FACTS don't speak well of Nevada. We all know there's MANY amongst us who by intent (we must assume) dismiss all that doesn't fit there particular outlook or belief. To those, I can only feel pity and amazement. What you ignore....you permit.

Las Vegas may be preferrable to the northern part of the state to some, but personally, I wouldn't go within a hundred miles of Vegas. Boasting the nations highest foreclosure rates, and undergoing a dramatic decline in there overall local economy, Vegas doesn't have much going for it, anymore. The silly, overrated expectations that were forecast for Nevada (and Vegas in particular), have fallen flat on there faces! And NOW it's gotten so bad that it's even mentioned on the national news! For Christ's sake!!

So once again, are we all watching lying S.O.B.'s spiel off a load of rubbish, and reading article after article that shows Nevada in a less-than-attractive light? FACE IT....the state of Nevada ranks as one of the most dangerous, dysfunctional states in the entire United States. And ya don't even need to live here to get that information.

No...you don't need to be hit over the head (...though you well may) to "get the real message" of Nevada. Boasting the nations #1 position for SUICIDES and in the top five for murders, rapes and assaults....Nevada comes off as a "sorry ass" place! Plain and simple. In fact, we've given up watching the local nightly news because it just reinforces all this over and over. Enough already!!

Those of you considering Nevada as a place to live, work, visit or retire to, DON'T DO IT. You may or may not be sorry, but why "gamble" (....pun intended) on a toilet-bowl state like Nevada? As far as myself being "depressed" and "negative"....you bet. Maybe it's because I find myself in the "state of Nevada".
 
Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,280,033 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Guy View Post
Ah hah!! I somehow knew I'd get somebody's ire stoked up with my last "painful observation" of a generally BUNK area of the country. Just for the "record", I lived in the so-called "exclusive" enclave of Palm Springs and Palm Desert for twenty years, and sold and exhibited my paintings in the area art galleries for many years.

If I'm "an unsuccessful, disgruntled" person, it's not without some effort on my part, eh? I've probably TURNED DOWN more "golden opportunities" in my life than any five people. The facts speak for themselves about Reno, Carson City AND Nevada in general. The local nightly news is FILLED with very serious, and yes.....NEGATIVE information concerning the "loser state" of Nevada.
You continue to demonstrate it. In the north the only excuse for living in CC is you were born there or have to. It is better than Gabbs though.

Quote:
Now unless these newscasts are relentlessly pulling the wool over viewers eyes and the newspapers are filled with similar "wrong information", the FACTS don't speak well of Nevada. We all know there's MANY amongst us who by intent (we must assume) dismiss all that doesn't fit there particular outlook or belief. To those, I can only feel pity and amazement. What you ignore....you permit.
I have lived a number of places. In none of them have I found the newscasts indicative of daily life. You must live to a different lifestyle if you find the newcasts representative of your experience.

Quote:
Las Vegas may be preferrable to the northern part of the state to some, but personally, I wouldn't go within a hundred miles of Vegas. Boasting the nations highest foreclosure rates, and undergoing a dramatic decline in there overall local economy, Vegas doesn't have much going for it, anymore. The silly, overrated expectations that were forecast for Nevada (and Vegas in particular), have fallen flat on there faces! And NOW it's gotten so bad that it's even mentioned on the national news! For Christ's sake!!
Well those of us in Las Vegas must be thankful for small favors. That your presence shall not descend upon us is certainly a thing we can cherish. This is an inappropriate place to discuss Vegas but come over and we will try to help you understand those issues.

Quote:
So once again, are we all watching lying S.O.B.'s spiel off a load of rubbish, and reading article after article that shows Nevada in a less-than-attractive light? FACE IT....the state of Nevada ranks as one of the most dangerous, dysfunctional states in the entire United States. And ya don't even need to live here to get that information

No...you don't need to be hit over the head (...though you well may) to "get the real message" of Nevada. Boasting the nations #1 position for SUICIDES and in the top five for murders, rapes and assaults....Nevada comes off as a "sorry ass" place! Plain and simple. In fact, we've given up watching the local nightly news because it just reinforces all this over and over. Enough already!!.
Actually no. We are watching you spiel off a load of rubbish that you do not begin to understand. The statistical behavior of Nevada is interesting but not particularly indicative of a bad place to live. Just that various people do not understand what they read and lack the ability to examine the source. Most quoted crime statements actually say - when you cut through the nonsense - that Las Vegas has a problem with stolen cars and Nevada is actually a very urban state. But you knew all that did you not?

Quote:
Those of you considering Nevada as a place to live, work, visit or retire to, DON'T DO IT. You may or may not be sorry, but why "gamble" (....pun intended) on a toilet-bowl state like Nevada? As far as myself being "depressed" and "negative"....you bet. Maybe it's because I find myself in the "state of Nevada".
Actually we agree that NV has a suicide problem. But it is also the aged and rural who do it. Maybe it comes with the Liberterian heritage. Suicide rates among other groups are not high. But you knew that did you not?

As to your state of mind...well it is kind of obvious is it not?
 
Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
 
59 posts, read 246,468 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You continue to demonstrate it. In the north the only excuse for living in CC is you were born there or have to. It is better than Gabbs though.



I have lived a number of places. In none of them have I found the newscasts indicative of daily life. You must live to a different lifestyle if you find the newcasts representative of your experience.



Well those of us in Las Vegas must be thankful for small favors. That your presence shall not descend upon us is certainly a thing we can cherish. This is an inappropriate place to discuss Vegas but come over and we will try to help you understand those issues.



Actually no. We are watching you spiel off a load of rubbish that you do not begin to understand. The statistical behavior of Nevada is interesting but not particularly indicative of a bad place to live. Just that various people do not understand what they read and lack the ability to examine the source. Most quoted crime statements actually say - when you cut through the nonsense - that Las Vegas has a problem with stolen cars and Nevada is actually a very urban state. But you knew all that did you not?



Actually we agree that NV has a suicide problem. But it is also the aged and rural who do it. Maybe it comes with the Liberterian heritage. Suicide rates among other groups are not high. But you knew that did you not?

As to your state of mind...well it is kind of obvious is it not?

Here's a classic example, folks, of someone who seems full of himself and basically gloats over his "achievements", real or imagined. Gee...I wish I could be just like you! That's an unpleasant fantasy I'm GLAD I'll never have to deal with.

Whether or not you approve of or are in agreement with another's viewpoint is something you seem to have a BIG problem with! The fact that you've zeroed in on me and a few others is sufficient proof. You may relish playing the role of "the boss", but that holds no water with us. You're just another fellow with his comments. Something else I'm noticing with these city forums. The realtor element, such as yourself, go ballistic with rage if anyone points out some ot the drawbacks of a certain area.

Tough luck. It's well known that Nevada is one of the more "elemental states" in regards to numerous things that affect people's lives. The most glaring being the Yucca Mountain Nuclear WASTE DUMP!! But I'm sure you have some insightful and glib explanation for that as well. Not to mention the nations highest foreclosure rate. But you're right. NO ONE has the correct take on anything. It's ALL slanted, bogus info. At least in your little world.

Even at your age, you don't have all the answers. We're happy you're so confident and pleased with yourself, however! Looks to us like you fit the Vegas scene perfectly. And it's also true that modern Vegas was largely based on that fine, upstanding gangster, Bugsy Siegel. Your rude, snarly attitude clues us in on YOUR state of mind, does it not? And yes....we are delighted you're down in "wonderful Vegas". That's your spot, alright.

You're not related to Bugsy Siegel, are ya? Bye now.
 
Old 07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
 
786 posts, read 1,909,688 times
Reputation: 307
I think it's obvious that some love Reno and some hate it but regardless it's nice for those investigating the area to have the access to our opinions.

I just don't understand why it has to become an argument/debate.

Just think if we all like the same place it would be awfully crowded

 
Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,280,033 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Guy View Post
Here's a classic example, folks, of someone who seems full of himself and basically gloats over his "achievements", real or imagined. Gee...I wish I could be just like you! That's an unpleasant fantasy I'm GLAD I'll never have to deal with.

Whether or not you approve of or are in agreement with another's viewpoint is something you seem to have a BIG problem with! The fact that you've zeroed in on me and a few others is sufficient proof. You may relish playing the role of "the boss", but that holds no water with us. You're just another fellow with his comments. Something else I'm noticing with these city forums. The realtor element, such as yourself, go ballistic with rage if anyone points out some ot the drawbacks of a certain area.

Tough luck. It's well known that Nevada is one of the more "elemental states" in regards to numerous things that affect people's lives. The most glaring being the Yucca Mountain Nuclear WASTE DUMP!! But I'm sure you have some insightful and glib explanation for that as well. Not to mention the nations highest foreclosure rate. But you're right. NO ONE has the correct take on anything. It's ALL slanted, bogus info. At least in your little world.

Even at your age, you don't have all the answers. We're happy you're so confident and pleased with yourself, however! Looks to us like you fit the Vegas scene perfectly. And it's also true that modern Vegas was largely based on that fine, upstanding gangster, Bugsy Siegel. Your rude, snarly attitude clues us in on YOUR state of mind, does it not? And yes....we are delighted you're down in "wonderful Vegas". That's your spot, alright.

You're not related to Bugsy Siegel, are ya? Bye now.
You continue to display a complete lack of knowledge of virtually anything.

You are of course welcome to a view that Reno sucks. Can't argue with that. As soon however as you attempt to explain why Reno sucks you get into facts...and facts are clearly not your forte.

Why on earth would a Realtor defend a city where they neither live nor practice? Hard to imagine a sillier thought. If serving their own self interest a Las Vegas Realtor would denigrate Reno to keep people from going there.

Las Vegas does have a very high foreclosure rate. But that is principally because Las Vegas was just about the fasting growing place in the US during the bubble. So we got the bad action. It too will pass.

Yucca Mountain is a long way from Las Vegas and likely will never be built.

I don't need all the answers to deal with your points. Your points are conventional and incorrect. All that is needed is to point out how wrong they are.

You also have very little understanding of Las Vegas and/or Bugsy Siegel. The present Las Vegas has much more to do with Howard Hughes and his heirs than it does with Bugsy.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
 
Old 07-08-2008, 08:10 PM
 
59 posts, read 246,468 times
Reputation: 97
I think you need to take up a hobby of some sort. Railing, ranting and raving over every thing I say is pretty ludicrous, old buddy. You've lost all credibility with us. We've followed some of your various other postings, as well as our encounters and you're WAY off base on a fair amount of it.

As one example, my entry you refer to above, it refers to the modern LV starting with Siegel's first casino. Who mentioned anything about H. Hughes! We all know Hughes played a part in the development of LV. I'm referring to the early start of Vegas, financed primarily by gangster monies. I've read and heard it put that way over and over, to believe Hughes was there that early. Whatever.

It's obvious you don't like me and I certainly don't like you. We can parry back and forth, each tossing in snide remarks, insults, etc. indefinetly. Who needs it? I've got better things (and more positive things) to do, and I certainly hope you do to. You remind me of the neighborhood bully who never grew up. We just chuckle at your entries, now. Pretty sad for you. I do feel sorry for you, however. You seem like a terribly frustrated and angry individual. Strange...

Whatever your problem, I hope you'll deal with it. Probably not, though, right? Too far gone, perhaps. Lashing out at everything I post, and doing a similar scam to various other postings makes you look , well....more than a little disturbed. My "problem" is that I don't care much for the state of Nevada, period. And most certainly not LV. Nor am I a fan of Carson City OR Reno. We're here for employment. So I'm not going to go to great lengths to argue with you about ANY of these spooky cities.

But being here seven years now, I'm going to voice my knowledge and opinions of this immediate area whenever and to whoever I feel may benefit from it, just like you and the other people who post here do. I have no hidden agenda, or special preference one way or another for these areas. But our experiences here may benefit and help someone out of the area. That's the primary goal of my postings....to perhaps help and benefit someone.

Like you, I could go on and on with a bunch of facts and figures but I simply don't find that as important as the basic information. Like the Nevada suicide issue. Who cares if it's women with black hair, or kids from 12 to 16, or men over age 65. The fact is Nevada DOES have a big problem in this area. It changes from year to year, but it's slowly been rising in Nevada, and we should explore the reasons.....not what category they fall in.

You obviously are quite fond of LV. Good luck. I really don't care. It doesn't affect me. You seem to enjoy arguing just for the sake of arguing. How NUTS is that!! RELAX. Laugh a little!! Don't take things so literally. I'll be the bigger man here, and offer a truce. What say we agree to disagree....but not jump on each and every posting we make? There's no need for it, really. Many times we're both in agreement, actually. We just couch it in different terms.

You've been in Nevada FAR longer than us, but we're more familiar with Carson City. No argument there, right? What do you care about we I say about this area? Anyway, I suggest we both take a deep breath and call a truce to all this childishness.
 
Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Gold Country CA
228 posts, read 446,421 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Guy View Post

But being here seven years now, I'm going to voice my knowledge and opinions of this immediate area whenever and to whoever I feel may benefit from it, just like you and the other people who post here do. I have no hidden agenda, or special preference one way or another for these areas. But our experiences here may benefit and help someone out of the area. That's the primary goal of my postings....to perhaps help and benefit someone.
I can relate to MUCH of what you've been posting. I have lived in this area many years and remain here for employment reasons, but in my opinion the region has gone downhill, and I too long for the day when I am able to relocate.

Unfortunately it was a different place when I first arrived, but posts like yours show a different side of the coin to potential residents than do the candy-coated Chamber of Commerce entries by others -- and thank God for diversity. The ill-mannered louts (i.e. olecapt and his crowd) are not doing Nevada any favors either, just proving how hostile and unattractive some of the natives can be.

Keep up the good fight!
 
Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,280,033 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Guy View Post
I think you need to take up a hobby of some sort. Railing, ranting and raving over every thing I say is pretty ludicrous, old buddy. You've lost all credibility with us. We've followed some of your various other postings, as well as our encounters and you're WAY off base on a fair amount of it.

As one example, my entry you refer to above, it refers to the modern LV starting with Siegel's first casino. Who mentioned anything about H. Hughes! We all know Hughes played a part in the development of LV. I'm referring to the early start of Vegas, financed primarily by gangster monies. I've read and heard it put that way over and over, to believe Hughes was there that early. Whatever.

It's obvious you don't like me and I certainly don't like you. We can parry back and forth, each tossing in snide remarks, insults, etc. indefinetly. Who needs it? I've got better things (and more positive things) to do, and I certainly hope you do to. You remind me of the neighborhood bully who never grew up. We just chuckle at your entries, now. Pretty sad for you. I do feel sorry for you, however. You seem like a terribly frustrated and angry individual. Strange...

Whatever your problem, I hope you'll deal with it. Probably not, though, right? Too far gone, perhaps. Lashing out at everything I post, and doing a similar scam to various other postings makes you look , well....more than a little disturbed. My "problem" is that I don't care much for the state of Nevada, period. And most certainly not LV. Nor am I a fan of Carson City OR Reno. We're here for employment. So I'm not going to go to great lengths to argue with you about ANY of these spooky cities.

But being here seven years now, I'm going to voice my knowledge and opinions of this immediate area whenever and to whoever I feel may benefit from it, just like you and the other people who post here do. I have no hidden agenda, or special preference one way or another for these areas. But our experiences here may benefit and help someone out of the area. That's the primary goal of my postings....to perhaps help and benefit someone.

Like you, I could go on and on with a bunch of facts and figures but I simply don't find that as important as the basic information. Like the Nevada suicide issue. Who cares if it's women with black hair, or kids from 12 to 16, or men over age 65. The fact is Nevada DOES have a big problem in this area. It changes from year to year, but it's slowly been rising in Nevada, and we should explore the reasons.....not what category they fall in.

You obviously are quite fond of LV. Good luck. I really don't care. It doesn't affect me. You seem to enjoy arguing just for the sake of arguing. How NUTS is that!! RELAX. Laugh a little!! Don't take things so literally. I'll be the bigger man here, and offer a truce. What say we agree to disagree....but not jump on each and every posting we make? There's no need for it, really. Many times we're both in agreement, actually. We just couch it in different terms.

You've been in Nevada FAR longer than us, but we're more familiar with Carson City. No argument there, right? What do you care about we I say about this area? Anyway, I suggest we both take a deep breath and call a truce to all this childishness.
Great idea. All you need do to call a permanent truce is stick to facts that are accurate and true...or make clear it is your personal opinion.

So far you have been unable to do that and resort to the standard internet bully tactic of attacking the messenger personally.

I carry no brief for Reno nor particularly for Nevada. I defend Nevada only to the extent that Las Vegas is...for most purposes...Nevada.

I have however developed over the last years pretty good knowledge of Nevada and its areas and statistics. Recommend it highly to you. If you want to attack a place get your facts straight.

And again...don't let the door hit you as you leave...
 
Old 07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,280,033 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberPup View Post
I can relate to MUCH of what you've been posting. I have lived in this area many years and remain here for employment reasons, but in my opinion the region has gone downhill, and I too long for the day when I am able to relocate.

Unfortunately it was a different place when I first arrived, but posts like yours show a different side of the coin to potential residents than do the candy-coated Chamber of Commerce entries by others -- and thank God for diversity. The ill-mannered louts (i.e. olecapt and his crowd) are not doing Nevada any favors either, just proving how hostile and unattractive some of the natives can be.

Keep up the good fight!
You don't care for Reno. I don't either.

You work there...Is that not a little stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top