U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 AM

5,314 posts, read 6,292,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Where did those weather stats come from? Those temperatures are about 8-10 degrees lower in January than what I saw on Wiki. I wouldn't live in a city where the average low temperature is 16 degrees!!! In addition, there is no way there is 37-39 inches of rain (more like 10-15).

An average of 8 degrees difference is quite a bit, it's true it is similarly cold at night in January, but Reno is about 8 degrees warmer during the day. There are also more clear sunny days. I'm pretty sure the winter weather in Boise can be more extreme than Reno.
One of the weather sites that have historical data, can't remember. I'm sure YMMV..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM

146 posts, read 107,782 times
hmm, yes they are similar:
Reno - https://weatherspark.com/history/314...-United-States
Boisie - https://weatherspark.com/history/297...-United-States

Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Yes, I would go a few times during different seasons to get a good feel for it. I'm sure it was warmer in the April/May trip and less humid in the September trip. All positives in my book.

Never seen Lake Tahoe, I look forward to that. Yes, that's a valid point about having the lake nearby. I hadn't considered it. I've never been to CA so I would like to see any of it. I'm to understand that even if I wanted to go to SoCal, it wouldn't be a terribly far drive. Yes, Las Vegas weather seems too much for me. Not that I've ever been but I think the crazy high temps might be overwhelming for us.

I know that Reno is smaller to this area in population and I don't see that being an issue. I definitely wouldn't want to go to a bigger city - that's not for us.

I've been keeping an eye on the gas and for the most part it was a little less than here. But we've just gone thru that phase where we are actually cheaper than a lot of the country. Not sure how that happened and we know it won't last or happen again LOL

I haven't gotten a good idea as to what property taxes are like. I admit that I just assume they are less, compared to here. I do know that in other cities, what is common is the property/school taxes are less than here while other fee's are higher. It spreads the burden to more people that way. I'm ok with that.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:27 PM

889 posts, read 1,926,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMoveInFuture View Post
I'm to understand that even if I wanted to go to SoCal, it wouldn't be a terribly far drive.
It depends on what your definition of "terribly far" is. Reno to Los Angeles is about 450 miles.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:25 PM

30,903 posts, read 13,468,757 times
After 14 years we moved from Reno to Sacramento. There were plenty of things we liked about Reno but the things that influenced our decision were:

1) California property tax is lower and is predictable, it does not go up when your home is reappraised every few years. California income tax really doesn't affect us because we are retired and don't have much taxable income.

2) Utility costs- our NV energy bill last January in Reno was $336. In Sacramento our SMUD/PG&E bill for this January was $70. We have a smaller house here, but the primary factor is that it doesn't get nearly as cold here.

3) If you buy in Reno please make sure of the orientation of your house, we lived in SW Reno with a west facing deck. For about 5 months out of the year we could not spend any time on our deck because of the wind in the afternoon. We had a heavy teak patio set that got buffeted from one end of our deck to the other when we weren't home- it ended up looking like a pile of kindling. The wind seems to be worse at higher elevations we were about 600 feet above town. But just be aware of it, it's no joke and if you don't have a sheltered yard you won't be having many BBQ's. We used to chase our trash cans down the hill, they would practically become airborne in the wind.

4) When we moved to Reno we told ourselves that visiting our family in Northern California would be no problem, and except for occasional traffic jams it was usually about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour trip, but when my brother became very ill in the winter I got stuck in a snowstorm and it took me 7 hours to get from Reno to Pinole.

5) We wanted to escape from living in an HOA. we paid $150 in dues and got nothing but grief in return, there we no real benefits to it, I feel like all we were paying for was the HOA Nazis who would drive around and write you a ticket if you left your trash can out too long, or forgot to close your garage door, or if you removed a plant in your yard without permission. Never again will I live in an HOA!

I'm trying to be honest and I don't want to slam Northern Nevada but I think anyone moving to the area should consider the not so good along with the good.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 PM

588 posts, read 958,456 times
Okay. You've mentioned these things before. Bear in mind, though, that:

(1) Many people still work, and California income tax can be fairly high ... certainly higher than the average Reno area property tax. Of course, you will also pay California property tax.

(2) Our utility costs are not very high at all (certainly cheaper than they were in California), and we're finding that we don't necessarily have to have the heat on here, as the place where we live seems to have great insulation.

(3) California can also be very windy, depending on where you are. VERY windy.

(4) Sorry to hear about your brother. As to the traveling issue, stuff happens.

(5) HOA: we also lived in an awful HOA ... in California. But one experience in an area does not mean that's way it is throughout that area. Nor does it mean that it's great everywhere else. Check some of the other City-Data forums for examples.

All that said, I loved it in California. Also love it here.

But, in short, while it's clear that you didn't find Northern Nevada suitable for you, it helps to be clear that many of these issues do not happen only in Northern Nevada.

Last edited by DianeV; 02-25-2015 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
Okay. You've mentioned these things before. Bear in mind, though, that:

(1) Many people still work, and California income tax can be fairly high ... certainly higher than the average Reno area property tax. Of course, you will also pay California property tax.

(2) Our utility costs are not very high at all (certainly cheaper than they were in California), and we're finding that we don't necessarily have to have the heat on here, as the place where we live seems to have great insulation.

(3) California can also be very windy, depending on where you are. VERY windy.

(4) Sorry to hear about your brother. As to the traveling issue, stuff happens.

(5) HOA: we also lived in an awful HOA ... in California. But one experience in an area does not mean that's way it is throughout that area. Nor does it mean that it's great everywhere else. Check some of the other City-Data forums for examples.

All that said, I loved it in California. Also love it here.

But, in short, while it's clear that you didn't find Northern Nevada suitable for you, it helps to be clear that many of these issues do not happen only in Northern Nevada.
Please..there is no place in Northern California with sustained winds as high as Reno. Reno is famous for it's wind, it even has a name - "the Washoe Zephyr". And I never said don't move to Reno because of the wind, did I? I said if you move to Reno be careful where your deck /yard is.

As far as utility bills, yes Nevada rates are lower than PG&E, but we only have PG&E for gas, we have SMUD a public utility for electric bills. And by the way, Nevada energy rates are the second highest in the West with only California being higher. As far as our utility bill in Reno, we had a nice home and we sunk a lot of money into extra insulation and low-e windows and that is what it cost, even after our improvements. Our neighbors bills were about the same.

I was pretty clear in mentioning that California Income tax did not affect us so I would think it would be easy to derive from that that it might be an issue for other people, right?

I don't think I should have to say that there are bad HOA's all over, it would be a stretch for someone to read my post and think that was what I was inferring

And I never told anyone "Don't move to Reno" but I think people considering a move to a new area, whether it is Reno, or Albuquerque, or San Francisco should have the opportunity to hear the good and the bad - and both exist in any area.

Oh, and about my brother, yes stuff happens- he died before I could get to the hospital to see him.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:10 AM

588 posts, read 958,456 times
Okay; again, sorry about your brother.

Thanks for illuminating in your above post what you'd said earlier, which gives some balance to your original post.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the info. Always like to hear all opinions.

We may end up moving before retirement so it's good to know the difference regarding taxes.

I've seen many different comments about the utility costs. Guess it really depends on where you live in Reno.

Thanks for the info about the wind. That's another topic where some say the same as you and others say "not where I live". What area of Reno were you located?

Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMoveInFuture View Post
Thanks for the info. Always like to hear all opinions.

We may end up moving before retirement so it's good to know the difference regarding taxes.

I've seen many different comments about the utility costs. Guess it really depends on where you live in Reno.

Thanks for the info about the wind. That's another topic where some say the same as you and others say "not where I live". What area of Reno were you located?
We lived in SW Reno near Mc Carran and Cashill. I can't really tell you which areas of Reno are more or less windy everyone seems to have their own opinion on that. I would recommend that if you move to the area, be careful about the orientation of your yard. If your house faces west and your back yard is sheltered by your house you would probably have a somewhat better experience than we did with a large west facing deck.

The wind comes from the west 95% of the time, it blows up over the Sierras from California and just smacks the crap out of Reno lol. My husband worked in Stead and the wind would get horrible out there too. Twice he got caught in a sand storm and it took most of the paint off his car. We both had seriously pitted windshields too, I got mine by driving to Carson City on a windy day, there was a NDOT pile of gravel on the side of the road and the wind picked it up and dropped most of it on my car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or