U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 11:30 AM

49 posts, read 50,995 times

Advertisements

I will be headed to Reno/Lake Tahoe this summer short term due/thanks to a college contact, with a possibility of staying permanently.

That said, this thread has nothing to do with any help relocating or jobs, but more of a fun (for me anyway) post.

I love sports, baseball and soccer in particular, and I have been fortunate enough to travel around a bit since college in 2013. I have experienced a few cities and sports teams which is always fun for me. Reno is in a unique area (Prox to Sac, Oak, SF, SJ) and I know about the outdoor sports and the Aces but I am very curious about the support of major sports and what teams are supported by the mass? What about the viewing area?

I have to assume and to make an educated guess, Kings, A's, Raiders, Sharks, and Earthquakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:36 PM

889 posts, read 1,926,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDrifterJxX View Post
I will be headed to Reno/Lake Tahoe this summer short term due/thanks to a college contact, with a possibility of staying permanently.

That said, this thread has nothing to do with any help relocating or jobs, but more of a fun (for me anyway) post.

I love sports, baseball and soccer in particular, and I have been fortunate enough to travel around a bit since college in 2013. I have experienced a few cities and sports teams which is always fun for me. Reno is in a unique area (Prox to Sac, Oak, SF, SJ) and I know about the outdoor sports and the Aces but I am very curious about the support of major sports and what teams are supported by the mass? What about the viewing area?

I have to assume and to make an educated guess, Kings, A's, Raiders, Sharks, and Earthquakes?
I've never heard anyone here talk about the Earthquakes. I've been hearing for 40 years than professional soccer in the U.S. is gaining in popularity, but I'm not convinced.

As for the NFL, it's far more 49ers territory than Raiders. For baseball, more Giants than A's. The Kings and Sharks seem to have a decent following here, the Kings in part because their developmental league team is based in Reno.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
I've never heard anyone here talk about the Earthquakes. I've been hearing for 40 years than professional soccer in the U.S. is gaining in popularity, but I'm not convinced.

As for the NFL, it's far more 49ers territory than Raiders. For baseball, more Giants than A's. The Kings and Sharks seem to have a decent following here, the Kings in part because their developmental league team is based in Reno.

Thanks for the reply ! I didn't know about the NBDL team until a few weeks ago.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:59 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,334,514 times
What owelles said. Also worth mentioning that the University of Nevada sports teams are pretty big(mostly basketball and football).

Old 02-17-2015, 12:58 AM

594 posts, read 596,110 times
Kayak competition on the riverfront, as well.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the replies. So say the A's and Giants have a game at the same time, the local market shows the Giants?

Reason I ask, is the A's have always been my #2 team, behind my hometown teams of course.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:34 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 196,409 times
A's fan here. The local market will show A's games most of the time on comcast sports net.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 PM

14,217 posts, read 23,915,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDrifterJxX View Post
Thanks for the reply ! I didn't know about the NBDL team until a few weeks ago.

You may want to check out the Reno Bighorns, the NBDL team. They are coached by David Arsenault, Jr. and specialize in a very fast paced game that involves a lot of trapping defense and a lot of "run and gun" defense as taught by his father at Grinnell College. It is not your traditional basketball but it is entertaining.

Other than the Bighorns and the Aces, sports are pretty much limited to the University of Nevada.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You may want to check out the Reno Bighorns, the NBDL team. They are coached by David Arsenault, Jr. and specialize in a very fast paced game that involves a lot of trapping defense and a lot of "run and gun" defense as taught by his father at Grinnell College. It is not your traditional basketball but it is entertaining.

Other than the Bighorns and the Aces, sports are pretty much limited to the University of Nevada.
I will have to check them out, I saw John Stocktons kid plays for them (forget his 1st name without looking it up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or