Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 05:50 PM

303 posts, read 821,534 times

Advertisements

I am from the midwest but now live in Oregon. I think the NW is kind of laid back but the people have a rudeness about them and a lot of them are for a lack of a better word, "low class". In Idaho and Utah the people are friendlier and seem to have more self respect. The midwest is like that too, . What are people in Nevada like? Are they like Californians or are they polite westerners? I know I am generalizing and stereotyping but it matters.

I would be very interested in someone who can compare life in Reno to life in Salem Oregon. I have also live in Boise and wonder how it compares to that.

I need a drier climate some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I am from the midwest but now live in Oregon. I think the NW is kind of laid back but the people have a rudeness about them and a lot of them are for a lack of a better word, "low class". In Idaho and Utah the people are friendlier and seem to have more self respect. The midwest is like that too, . What are people in Nevada like? Are they like Californians or are they polite westerners? I know I am generalizing and stereotyping but it matters.

I would be very interested in someone who can compare life in Reno to life in Salem Oregon. I have also live in Boise and wonder how it compares to that.

I need a drier climate some day.
I have never lived in Salem or Boise but do have my opinions...
I have only visited Boise but think the weather is similar to to Reno but I think Boise was much cleaner than Reno and the people there were really friendly.For the time I have lived in Reno I haven't really felt that the people here are one way or another, but polite would not come to mind either.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
I was only in the USA for two and a half weeks to work at Heavenly but unfortunantley some issues came up about the job but in my time I travelled to Reno a numerous times from South Lake Tahoe, in my time there I never came across one rude person what so ever, maybe because they thought I was a tourist or maybe they tend to be nicer since they are in a tourist place, I found Reno itself alot bigger than I had read about, overall it would be a place I could live in. Hope this helped and good luck for the future.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 PM

154 posts, read 991,981 times
Having traveled to nearly every major metropolitan area with a population over 200k in the West and a few places back East, I can say that Reno has some of the friendliest people I've encountered in a small-medium size city. Of course every area has it's fair share of rude people, and I've come across quite a few in my 30 years living in Reno. FWIW, I found the people of Boise and SLC quite similar to Reno and all three cities have really similar geography. I've also been to Phoenix/Scottsdale recently and found the people much friendlier than either L.A. or Vegas. As far as Oregon goes, I found the people in Portland quite friendly (much more so than Medford and Eugene, but especially Eugene). This really suprised me since Portland is a relatively big city in the PNW, and was quite in contrast with experiences in Seattle. Again, I woudn't say Reno is perfect, but for anyone who thinks the people of Reno are rude, drive a couple hours to Sac and you'll see just how friendly most people in Reno are. I've encountered some very blatantly rude people in and around Sacramento (e.g. VERY aggressive drivers, rude service people, and a general weird vibe where people don't ever hold doors open for one another or even look eachother in the eye). Even the people in Roseville, which is a much smaller city East of Sacramento, seem weirdly anti-social to me and more than a bit snobbish. I went to the Galleria in Roseville a couple weekends ago and stopped in Godiva chocolates. After paying for my purchase I thanked the lady who helped me and told her to have a nice day. She literally looked at me like I was from another planet, paused, and then said "ummm, wow, thank you!". It was as if she never heard these simple words from a customer before.

I know this might sound crazy, but I partly blame the internet for the decline of simple common courtesy and manners amongst the general public. People feel free to behave and talk to eachother however they want online, and I truly believe this has carried over into our daily "real-world" interactions with eachother.

Last edited by jwaters943; 01-11-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 04:23 PM

303 posts, read 821,534 times
Thanks for the info. Interesting when I lived in Idaho I worked in a call center. The nastiest rudest meanest callers were from Sacramento and elsewhere in the 916 area code. I dont get it. Even New Yorkers were much nicer in general.

Anyway, sounds like Reno might be just what I am looking for.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:47 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
Thanks for the info. Interesting when I lived in Idaho I worked in a call center. The nastiest rudest meanest callers were from Sacramento and elsewhere in the 916 area code. I dont get it. Even New Yorkers were much nicer in general.

Anyway, sounds like Reno might be just what I am looking for.
Even New Yorkers ! Not sure what you mean by that . This New Yorker found many westerners so wary of people from "the other side of the Mississippi", especially people in smaller western towns.
Oddly enough , here in NY we accept people from all over the world, and most of us are very proud of that !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area