U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 07:13 PM

12 posts, read 19,211 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've lived all up and down the east coast, but recently landed a job in eastern Reno and will be moving there in the summer. I'm extremely excited about being a short drive away from the mountains around Tahoe as I'm a big snowboarder/mountain biker/hiker! I do not want to live in CA but was curious the best place to live on the NV side to get me close to the outdoor action.

I'm 33 and single, will be apartment living and not worried about the price, not worried about the commute to work either and wouldn't mind a somewhat safe area with everyday shopping not too far away (Walmart, Target, grocery store, etc.). I don't need malls and shops and stuff... I can commute to those when needed. If I can be close to some mountain bike trails or paved trails, that would be fantastic. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 PM

340 posts, read 483,859 times
I suggest looking into the apartments in the areas around S. McCarran and Lakeridge/Plumas. It's a very safe area and easily bikeable to Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes as well as a couple of other grocery stores. Just up on Ridgeview Drive is where the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land starts -- I'm not a mountain biker so you may want to confirm with others, but I've seen a few bikes on the trails up there and it looks like fun. There are miles of open land and trails -- much of which I've been hiking over the past few months. I also like the area because it is on the south side of Reno that is closer to Mt. Rose and Lake Tahoe, yet also near decent shopping as well as easy access via McCarran or Virginia that might get you to other parts of town as needed. Lakeridge East, Lakeridge West and Aspen Ridge are three of the apartment complexes in the area, but there are others as well. Good luck and I think you will find a ton of outdoor choices here that will keep you active in every season.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! It definitely sounds like I'll have plenty to do outdoors. And I checked out those apartments and they look pretty nice. I like the fact that there would be somewhere to ride my bike within riding distance. I definitely prefer to hit the trails as opposed to doing cardio in the gym. Are those trails on the BLM land dirt trails? I tried to find what you're talking about on a map but couldn't find it.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 21,605 times
Default Coming to Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastgt View Post
.... I like the fact that there would be somewhere to ride my bike within riding distance. I definitely prefer to hit the trails as opposed to doing cardio in the gym. Are those trails on the BLM land dirt trails? I tried to find what you're talking about on a map but couldn't find it.
It would depend on where you live. The south end of the Hidden Valley area is close to BLM land and I believe there are some bike trails there. But, on the map, that is southeast of the airport, off Longley Lane. You can ride west on McCarran Blvd. and get to Trader Joes and there's a Walmart about a 1/4 miles further northwest. One warning early about bike riding, Reno drivers aren't the best about watching out for bike riders so you have to really look our for yourself.

There are some trails on the west side of town but, you can also find them as you get closer to the foothills on the west. There is a bike path that runs all the way through town next to the Truckee river that is pretty much all paved. I have ridden the whole length twice a few years ago and it's a nice ride but, the path is more crowded on the weekend afternoon and evenings.

Northeast of the Sparks area are some bike and hiking trails off of Vista Blvd. too but, I don't know anything about them.

There are some nice apartments in different areas of Reno and Sparks especially for a single guy. Some nicer places have nice amenities. There are a couple of nice apartment complexes southeast of the airport where I mentioned earlier and they are probably more to your liking.

Send me a PM if you would like any specifics as I am happy to help.

Paul

Old 03-12-2015, 10:38 PM

340 posts, read 483,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastgt View Post
Are those trails on the BLM land dirt trails? I tried to find what you're talking about on a map but couldn't find it.
I've seen mountain bikes on the trails where I spend a lot of time hiking but am not sure where the BLM land starts and stops. I haven't seen any maps showing trails on BLM land but you can see the trails off Ridgeview where I hike using Google satellite view (may need to zoom in). Some are old gravel roads kept free of weeds by 4x4's or motorbikes, and some are just dirt paths. Google may have street names for some of them but they aren't really suitable for car traffic. I haven't exhausted all of the trails yet -- there are miles and miles of them. But there are also some gates where I hike so I'm thinking that the bikes I see on the trails must enter from another area...possibly from the roads that wind around behind Caughlin Ranch elementary school.

If you are able to visit the area before settling in, I suggest stopping at one of the local bike shops and asking for info. I've only been to one (Sierra Cyclesmith on S. Virginia) but they were very friendly, helpful and happy to chat, and they might be able to steer you to the best locations. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM

Thank you all for the replies, and I'm sorry it took me so long to type back. This definitely gives me a solid start on places to check out when I do visit, and talking to a local bike shop is a great idea! It looks like my new company will be providing a bit of temporary housing until I can find a place, so I'll use that time wisely to scout out the mt. bike scene! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area