Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:17 AM

57 posts, read 142,660 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity at UNR and I just want to do my homework on the area. I am currently living in the Salt Lake City area and have lived in San Diego and Northern Idaho in the past. The variety and abundance of recreational opportunities around Reno really appeals to me and my wife, also the weather there is warmer year round than here in SLC and that is a plus for me. I have done a cost of living comparison, Reno vs. SLC, and they come out very similar which is good news.

Can anyone speak to the following?
Best areas to live?
Some fun things to do in the area?
Places to avoid?
Cost of living?
Weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM

30 posts, read 34,907 times
Congrats on your job opportunity! I can't answer most of your questions because like you we're looking to relocate to Reno, but we did find a great resource for events. It sure looks like there's a lot of fun events in addition to all the great outdoor activities.

Reno & Lake Tahoe Calendar of Events and Entertainment

We're looking forward to our visit next month. We rented a house from vrbo and will be checking out different neighborhoods as well as the Minden/Gardnerville area and Sparks too.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 AM

Very cool, that is helpful. You'll have to post back on here once you make the move and say what you think of the area. I am a huge sports person and it seems like there are a lot of opportunities to watch sports outside of UNR, most of it being minor league but personally I still enjoy that.

I have another job possibility in Merced, CA which isn't too far from Reno. The two areas are very different other than both being near the same mountain range. I think Reno would be a nicer, safer place to live and also provide more local amenities, but to be quite honest I am fine going either place. I am just trying to get the most information on each place and then make visits, etc.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM

824 posts, read 2,790,795 times
Northeast Reno, conveniently located by the campus, is quite nice.

I would imagine Reno is significantly cheaper than San Diego, don't know about SLC or Northern Idaho.

I know a few people who love to downhill mountain bike around here. Also golf. I've met quite a few 20-somethings who are good golfers! Winter sports very popular here (except ice hockey, for some reason), as you can imagine with the proximity of Lake Tahoe and its skiing and snowboarding, but while the drought continues, that is less of a possibility.

The summer is full of events, from motorcycle rallies to the rib-cooking contest to the balloon race to street fairs of various kinds.

Entertainment-wise, it's nothing like Las Vegas, we don't get those headliner acts, but there is still a theater or two, and a decent music venue or two. The restaurant scene is continually getting better.

Weather. I personally prefer the high desert climate to someplace with unbearable humidity.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 AM

What is the severity of the drought in Reno? Is it as bad as parts of California with water restrictions?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks3 View Post
What is the severity of the drought in Reno? Is it as bad as parts of California with water restrictions?
From what I understand, it is not as critical a situation as California, but it is still worrisome. I live downtown and the Truckee river this past summer was lower than anyone could remember.

It hasn't affected me personally. I don't ski, I live in an apartment, and I drink bottled water. As long as there's water to bathe and flush the toilet, I'm copacetic. But I feel bad for anyone whose livelihood depends on water, such as the ski operators or ranchers or farmers.

We don't have mandatory water rationing like they just started in California, but I do think there are rules about when you can water your lawn.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks3 View Post
Very cool, that is helpful. You'll have to post back on here once you make the move and say what you think of the area. I am a huge sports person and it seems like there are a lot of opportunities to watch sports outside of UNR, most of it being minor league but personally I still enjoy that.

I have another job possibility in Merced, CA which isn't too far from Reno. The two areas are very different other than both being near the same mountain range. I think Reno would be a nicer, safer place to live and also provide more local amenities, but to be quite honest I am fine going either place. I am just trying to get the most information on each place and then make visits, etc.
You do not want to live in Merced. Never one of the better areas in California, they were hard hit by the recession and have struggled to come back. Between the two I'd go to Reno.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
My sister lives in Truckee and I fly into Reno when I go to visit. I personally like Reno. It's probably got its bad areas like all places but it's not far from Truckee. Lake Tahoe isn't far and for a break in the summers heat you can spend some time in Truckee where the summers rarely get into the mid 80's, the mornings are in the low 40's. I've never been there in the winter. The best thing is you don't have California taxes to deal with. I know California is beautiful but it gets pricey. Real estate prices are going back up...

Old 04-10-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
Northeast Reno, conveniently located by the campus, is quite nice.
I'm quoting myself here because NE Reno covers a large area and apparently there are some parts that aren't so nice. In my post I was referring to the part just north of the campus which seems nice, and well maintained.

There are other threads here about good/bad neighborhoods in Reno, give them a look.

Avoid the places where people use their front yards as junk yards, with yapping dogs.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You do not want to live in Merced. Never one of the better areas in California, they were hard hit by the recession and have struggled to come back. Between the two I'd go to Reno.
Personally I think I would rather pick Reno as well, but it all depends on where I get the job at. From what I have heard Merced has started to rebound from the recession and is getting a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area