Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 12:13 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,169,116 times

Advertisements

We looked at possible retirement homes (would rent it out for 4-5 years until we retire) in the south Reno area in late Feb. Some very nice new homes, some reasonably-priced, around $300k. Wife was tempted but, afterwards, decided there just wasn't enough green. Did get a bit of snow but it still basically looked like desert. Thought of returning to look at areas further up, towards Tahoe, but then price and enough snow to affect driving figure in. I have been to Reno several times over the years, and figured it's an okay area with great access to scenic (and green) areas. Anyplace near Reno with a tad more green but not heavy winter snows? Yeah, I realize it sounds like we're asking for the moon (figuratively).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 22,341 times
Reminder that we are in year 4 of a drought. Gardnerville, which is called the "Emerald Valley" for its green among the desert (thanks to Carson River irrigation), is less emerald due to the drought. But Reno/SParks/Carson Valley will always be high desert, which is what I love about it.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,169,116 times
And may not look much drier with the drought. Some places we looked at east of Sacramento would look a lot worse if the trees (and, in some developments, golf courses) dry out. Wife actually likes the idea of Orlando area (where some fellow Brazilians live), but I would hesitate to move someplace to hot, humid, and flat.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:06 PM

2,821 posts, read 4,458,013 times
maybe wife needs to fall in love with green succulant plants instead of green water sucking lawns?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM

152 posts, read 260,841 times
It's greener now than when you came in February! The lawns do turn yellow in the winter here, and of course it is the high desert. Neighborhoods with more evergreens will appear more green in the winter. The HOA I live in actually requires a certain number of evergreens be planted on each lot.

If you do a satellite map view of the area online you can see what sections of town look greener. In an area of new homes it will be a while before the vegetation is established. Established areas in general will feel less like a desert. In my opinion some gentle hills can help too.

Green makes me think of...
Huffaker area into the Lakeridge area (Reno)
Old Southwest Reno...and other established areas of Reno/Sparks
possibly Hidden Valley Reno
Rancho San Rafeal Park (Reno)
Galena Creek Park area (Reno)
Franktown Road (Washoe Valley)
Lakeview Neighborhood (Carson City)
Carson City's westside has some streets that back to green pastures
Dayton Valley, NV
Genoa, NV
and definitely Gardnerville

In all those places the snow won't be as bad as Tahoe. But a few of those areas do tend to have higher housing prices.

Last edited by NevadaRE; 04-22-2015 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,952,255 times
Your price range would make a huge difference. The closer to the tree line the more expensive the homes will be. And remember, if you're retired and not needing to be at work every day at 8am, you have the luxury of waiting to go out after the sun melts off the snow. Rarely do we have snow that sticks around for more than a day or two in the valley.

Old southwest Reno would have lots of mature landcaping, larger trees. Double Diamond, newer homes, small lots, no big trees yet but they do have lawns. Callahan Ranch, farther out of the city (little way up Mt. Rose but not to thetree line or heavy snow), mature neighborhood, larger trees. Zolezzi Lane, again more mature neighborhood with nice landscaping, a bit greener, larger lots, established neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 AM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
We looked at possible retirement homes (would rent it out for 4-5 years until we retire) in the south Reno area in late Feb. Some very nice new homes, some reasonably-priced, around $300k. Wife was tempted but, afterwards, decided there just wasn't enough green. Did get a bit of snow but it still basically looked like desert. Thought of returning to look at areas further up, towards Tahoe, but then price and enough snow to affect driving figure in. I have been to Reno several times over the years, and figured it's an okay area with great access to scenic (and green) areas. Anyplace near Reno with a tad more green but not heavy winter snows? Yeah, I realize it sounds like we're asking for the moon (figuratively).
It's Reno..high desert it is not supposed to be green. You could move to the foothills around California, the grass gets brown but the trees don't, otherwise go to higher elevations like Incline Village but it snows quite a bit more there and is fairly isolated.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 AM

16 posts, read 31,838 times
We are in west Washoe Valley, about 12 minutes south of Reno with the new highway, and it's very green (even with the drought and the lake being dry). Moved here because I hate desert. It does turn brown in winter, but we're surrounded with beautiful lush green pastures with views of the mountains. You might try looking down here, the prices are not nearly as high as Tahoe, but if you stay on the west side you'll get your green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area