U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 12:42 PM

15 posts, read 23,786 times

Advertisements

We will be coming into town next week and visiting Gardnerville, Minden, Dayton, and Carson City to do some scouting in the neighborhoods in those areas. Looking at new construction homes and builders.

Am looking today to find a realtor interested in scooting us about and educating us on what's available and other information about these townships. We're coming from out of state and are not at all familiar with the areas. I've already contacted several realtors associated with specific builders/communities. But haven't set up any appointments yet.

We are looking at builders ratings online, but don't have any personal experience with any in that local area.

If you have any recommendations on folks we may want to avoid or folks who you think would be great to have on our side as a realtor or a builder - please send me a personal message or leave kindly messages here.

Thanks in advance!
~Cindy

Last edited by Paintchip; 07-09-2015 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM

843 posts, read 1,829,442 times
Consider a buyers agent. We used one from a local buyers agent group, he was super helpful.. He's retired now.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Thank you braindead0. I will do that.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:16 PM

23 posts, read 37,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintchip View Post
We will be coming into town next week and visiting Gardnerville, Minden, Dayton, and Carson City to do some scouting in the neighborhoods in those areas. Looking at new construction homes and builders.

Am looking today to find a realtor interested in scooting us about and educating us on what's available and other information about these townships. We're coming from out of state and are not at all familiar with the areas. I've already contacted several realtors associated with specific builders/communities. But haven't set up any appointments yet.

We are looking at builders ratings online, but don't have any personal experience with any in that local area.

If you have any recommendations on folks we may want to avoid or folks who you think would be great to have on our side as a realtor or a builder - please send me a personal message or leave kindly messages here.

Thanks in advance!
~Cindy
Paintchip,

Keep us posted on what you find! We are coming into the area in September to look around, but in the Reno area.

William

Old 07-19-2015, 12:50 PM

We are back from our house-scouting trip in the Carson Valley area. New-construction shopping is different than pre-owned home shopping. And we were only looking at new construction homes. If you are shopping for new-construction homes in the areas maybe what we've experienced will help you on your journey as well. Here's what we found as far as builders and new-construction tours go:

Most builders DID NOT have finished homes or models we could walk through. We aren't the type of people who buy a house without first seeing the builders product. So that was disturbing to us. We crossed several builders off our list for that reason alone. They may have a terrific product, but there's no way we would have known that. This wasn't based our timing in the area. This (we were told) is the new trend with smaller company builders. They don't want to take the risk of building a model home that doesn't sell later. As a customer I see them taking a bigger risk of having prospective customers walk away by not showing a customer the quality of their product before purchasing. But that's just my take. If you're like us and you really want to see the product, walk through a finished home, etc. I recommend you work with a realtor that can plan very far in advance homes for you to see when the builder has something in their inventory they will let you see. Then be willing to visit there BEFORE that viewing option is no longer available. Because for some of the builders - they simply don't make model homes for viewing.

A few of the homes we did get to see both at the wall-studs phase and at the finished phase, we found disturbing as far as quality goes. Several homes from one of the highest rated builders had cracked foundations. I don't mean hairline cracks. I mean huge cracks in multiple places through out the structure. In the model home for this same area/builder - we could also see similar quality issues in their finished product - cracked ceilings/walls (from settling - not from poor taping/mudding), as well has uneven trim corners, poor tile work, etc. Prior to visiting sites we did research (BBB, customer reviews, etc.) and felt that this company was going to be one of the better ones. It was disappointing to see their product quality in the model homes where you'd assume they've done some of their best work for show-n-tell purposes. Recommend doing due diligence in researching before your tours and during as well.

It appears the current market is such that subdivisions being built in phases - have about a $10K-20K increase in price with each new phase.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:17 AM

529 posts, read 533,117 times
... Thank you for the review, Paintchip! ...

This is yet-another reason for DW & I to go "HMM-mmm-mmm" ... We're already a tiny-bit disappointed with quality of for-sale homes for their asking prices that we've seen in the whole Reno/Sparks area - including down-around Carson City. Seeing (in your post) that new-construction doesn't appear to be 'up-to-snuff' is a bit more-disconcerting.
Could this be because of where our price limits are that we're not seeing the quality we're expecting?
Could it be the locations where we're searching? We've been looking at existing homes within a 10-mile radius of the Reno and Carson City areas.

I would venture-a-guess that Paintchip doesn't have the same criteria that we have, since they've been looking at new-construction only. But, that doesn't explain Paintchip's observations about there being poor construction quality, especially in light of their doing due-diligence to find what they consider to be the better-best home builders.

Can anyone help with an explanation?

Thanks in advance ... TC

Old 07-21-2015, 03:15 PM

843 posts, read 1,829,442 times
IMO new construction quality has been declining since the 80's. New home construction is speculation and requires a lot of capital, in order to maximize profits they build fast and as cheap as possible. Couple that with various shenanigans by governments and utilities in the process, it doesn't encourage the most honest or forthcoming business practices.

I'm seeing a lot for sale around here, and some selling at really silly prices considering what we paid 3 years ago. Not sure if it's just correcting back or a mini bubble, don't really care much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or