Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,351 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm interested in applying to UNR for Spring 2016. Is it a good school for communications/media? What's studying there like? And Reno is a nice city to study and live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 09:40 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,956,950 times
I might be a bit biased, since we live here. But both my husband and daughter graduated from UNR. My husband was a teacher and my daughter was a biology major. I've heard good things abou their media porgram and have a few friends who graduated with that major from UNR. I knw it worked well for them in the days of TV and newpapers, not sure how they rank in the 21st century stuff like social media, etc.

UNR is ne of the most affordabe schools you will find in the western mountain states. A lot of the buildings on campus are very new, being built in the last 10 years. However, they have retained some of the historical charm on campus as well. I don't think you will be challenged like you would be at Stanford or UCLA, but you will get your education. I've never heard of a class that is taught by a TA, except for labs. Professors seem to be available for office hours that are convenient. There are lots of places to get together for study groups like the library (so much more than just a library) and the student union. There's plenty of places to eat on campus as well.

I would say the only down side to UNR is housing. Dorms always have waiting lists. So if that is something you are interestedin, you need to find out the earliest sign up date and mark it down. Off-campus housing seems pretty easy to find, but I know a lot of my daughter's friends lived in some pretty funky old houses that cost them a lot in heating in the winter.

Living in Reno is great; we've lived here for 30+ years. There are all kinds of things going on all the time. Right now we have Art Town for the whole month of July. There are all kinds of art, music, entertainment all month long and many of the events are free. August has Hot August Nights car show. September is the ballon races and air races as well as a couple of food festivals. You get the idea, there is always something gong on. If that isn't enough to keep you busy, UNR is only about 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe and skiing, boarding, beach, hiking... There's also Pyramid Lake where a lot of people go camping and fishing, much less congested than Lake Tahoe.

Go for it!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 PM

412 posts, read 966,390 times
It will take you FIVE years to get a four year degree. They do not have enough of the required classes so you will spend a few extra semesters marking time trying to get into those classes. Add another year of money to your plans.
I would not recommend UNR to anyone with tight finances.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:01 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,612,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
It will take you FIVE years to get a four year degree. They do not have enough of the required classes so you will spend a few extra semesters marking time trying to get into those classes. Add another year of money to your plans.
I graduated in four years from the Reynolds School of Journalism. So that's not true in the j-school.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 PM

42,757 posts, read 26,002,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
That seems to be a problem for some majors, my son was an accounting major and had a horrible time getting the right classes in the correct sequence, as it turned out he had to go an extra semester just to get one of the classes he needed.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:34 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,216,351 times
My son took 5 years not due to class scheduling but due to his not so stellar 2nd semester freshman year. He was eligible to graduate at 4.5 years but wanted to walk in the quad not at Lawlor so he hung around an extra semester and padded his resume for grad school. he graduated in 2013

I think UNR was a great option for his education, the costs are really reasonable, the location is great etc. Son is now in a top rated Physical Therapy graduate program at a very well rated school. His UNR education sure paid off for him.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,771,948 times
I graduated in four years in 2014. It can definitely be done (depending on your major). I even switched majors and took some unnecessary classes.

I would highly recommend it, Nevada is an excellent school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area