Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 32,329 times

Advertisements

Is this a nice area?

We are relocating to Reno and trying to find an affordable home to rent. Any suggestions ($800-$975 range)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
I am no expert, but that would put you right in the middle of the Wells Ave bungalow district. I don't think it is the best, but it has nice homes, and is improving.

Here is a little description of it:

Wells Avenue Bungalow District

Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 AM

159 posts, read 599,853 times
apartment with 2 bedrooms for $800 - 900 sure, but I dont forsee being able to rent a decent house. When we were looking for house rentals in June 06, the cheapest we ever found was $1350.

Fernely has REALLY nice new houses for rent for $1000 -- but its a little ways out.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM

6 posts, read 32,329 times
I worry about Fernley b/c there is really only one way in & out. How bad is traffic in & out of Fernley, if you have to commute? I've heard that you could be stuck in traffic for hours if there's an accident. I also heard they have water issues - there being a high level of arsenic. Is this true?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 AM

159 posts, read 599,853 times
I cant answer those questions, I just know I felt ill driving from fernley because of how badly the roads twist and turn. We never had traffic issues in all the times we have gone their.

I think fernley is an up and coming area and in a few years time will be a great place to live, I believe they are getting, or have just got, a wal mart. Right now it just feels as if it needs more oomph.

We almost bought a house their, (long story as to why we didnt) but in hind sight, I am glad we didnt. Their schools dont have a marching band, and that was important for my daughter. BUT if you are wanting to rent its cheaper, but then you have to weight the cost of gas back and forth to Reno.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 PM

34 posts, read 242,968 times
Default Ghetto

You'll live in the ghetto in Reno for $875 for a house. Fernley is a 35 mile commute and can have severe weather a couple of times a year plus has heavy traffic. They are developing a huge industrial park halfway between Reno and Fernley and there will literally be thousands of trucks commuting on a 2 lane freeway for those 15 miles into and out of Reno. Expect to spend 1200-1400 for a house in a decent neighborhood. Wells avenue sucks

Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
How does Wells Avenue suck? IMO, it has more character than any neighborhood except for SW.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:26 PM

226 posts, read 1,007,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handitak View Post
apartment with 2 bedrooms for $800 - 900 sure, but I dont forsee being able to rent a decent house. When we were looking for house rentals in June 06, the cheapest we ever found was $1350.

Fernely has REALLY nice new houses for rent for $1000 -- but its a little ways out.

Was that before or after the levy broke? LOL

Old 05-09-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxima View Post
You'll live in the ghetto in Reno for $875 for a house. Fernley is a 35 mile commute and can have severe weather a couple of times a year plus has heavy traffic. They are developing a huge industrial park halfway between Reno and Fernley and there will literally be thousands of trucks commuting on a 2 lane freeway for those 15 miles into and out of Reno. Expect to spend 1200-1400 for a house in a decent neighborhood. Wells avenue sucks
Reno doesn't have any ghettos! People tell me that Grove St. is a ghetto but they obviously haven't been to a ghetto!

Go to Kansas City, St. Louis (esp. E St. Louis, IL), and Chicago; look at their "Ghettos" then come back to Reno and show me where it compares... It doesn't.

Hell, the projects here are in nice little apartment complexes that look like they were built in the 1980's they don't even have real projects here!

There are no ghettos in Reno, people just see a little graffiti and some Mexicans and start calling that the ghetto!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
How does Wells Avenue suck? IMO, it has more character than any neighborhood except for SW.
Wells does have more culture than other parts of the city but you know there are the racist types of people so of course they will say "Wells sucks"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area