Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 08:34 PM

34 posts, read 111,578 times

Advertisements

Hello.... I used to live in Las Vegas, then moved to Florida, and now considering retiring back to Nevada to escape the HUMID, hot buggy soggy weather that is Florida! I did not want the extreme heat of southeast NV and am not a "city person." I've been reading about ongoing earthquake activity and clusters of tremors that seem very prevalent in this area... but I would like to hear from actual residents. Are the tremors very noticeable... any damage... panic... etc.? I've been through a major hurricane, some smaller hurricanes and tropical storms, and really... I would not want to go through the stress and damage of such "natural events" on an ongoing basis. But hurricanes give you notice; you have time to prepare or leave. Earthquakes have no "notice," so what do you do? I also don't like shoveling snow or driving down slick roads, especially as I get older. I grew up in Pennsylvania and know what it's like to be in snow! But a little snow or snowfalls that melt quickly is not problematic. Basically, we need a drier climate with decent health care facilities close by, good basic shopping, and low crime rate; a nice place to retire and gamble away our savings LOL! Not bashing any place... just trying to gather information to help us make a sound decision. Thank you all in advance for your valuable responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:46 PM

843 posts, read 2,216,541 times
Not sure what you're reading about 'ongoing earthquake activity' and 'clusters of tremors'. Earthquakes that you can feel are fairly rare, those that cause actual damage are even more so. There are things you can do to make your house safer, tons of resources online about that.

Spent the first 30 some odd years of my life in Southern California, lived about 1 block from the epicenter of the Northridge quake when that hit, don't panic and chances are good you'll be fine.

Good factual information here: http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Maps/121-40.html

Anything less than 2.0 is considered 'micro' and rarely felt by anyone.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:29 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishpit View Post
Hello.... I used to live in Las Vegas, then moved to Florida, and now considering retiring back to Nevada to escape the HUMID, hot buggy soggy weather that is Florida! I did not want the extreme heat of southeast NV and am not a "city person." I've been reading about ongoing earthquake activity and clusters of tremors that seem very prevalent in this area... but I would like to hear from actual residents. Are the tremors very noticeable... any damage... panic... etc.? I've been through a major hurricane, some smaller hurricanes and tropical storms, and really... I would not want to go through the stress and damage of such "natural events" on an ongoing basis. But hurricanes give you notice; you have time to prepare or leave. Earthquakes have no "notice," so what do you do? I also don't like shoveling snow or driving down slick roads, especially as I get older. I grew up in Pennsylvania and know what it's like to be in snow! But a little snow or snowfalls that melt quickly is not problematic. Basically, we need a drier climate with decent health care facilities close by, good basic shopping, and low crime rate; a nice place to retire and gamble away our savings LOL! Not bashing any place... just trying to gather information to help us make a sound decision. Thank you all in advance for your valuable responses!
Same situation here except I live in earthquake country in CALIFORNIA. No need to worry about quakes even though no warnings. Hurricanes I would be fearful of because of the potential damage it does. But I don't think you have to worry about hurricanes or earthquakes in Nevada.

I am looking for a low crime rural area with less government rule because of all the corruption, taxes and hidden fees government makes up and spends on other things.
Don't need no gun restrictions or registration. Need automobile friendly state, No smog laws, smooth roads with little to no traffic, traffic signs, signals and don't want to live in any tract housing. I don't want to drive in heavily snow areas or icy roads because I do not want to have to buy a truck, 4X4 or a AWD vehicle.
I do plan on buying a new high performance rear wheel drive car.

Input please?

Old 09-25-2015, 04:16 PM

98 posts, read 363,021 times
If you wish to stay near Reno & the airport (NV specific)-look into Carson City, Douglas, Lyon and Storey counties. Storey & Lyon are the most rural. In regard to snow/bad weather you should be fine without a 4x4 (Tahoe area might be the only exception).
Gas prices are much better than Kalie as well.
If not NV-look into Idaho-weather is not too bad and has terrific outdoor activities to go along.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Mahn View Post
If you wish to stay near Reno & the airport (NV specific)-look into Carson City, Douglas, Lyon and Storey counties. Storey & Lyon are the most rural. In regard to snow/bad weather you should be fine without a 4x4 (Tahoe area might be the only exception).
Gas prices are much better than Kalie as well.
If not NV-look into Idaho-weather is not too bad and has terrific outdoor activities to go along.
Is Storey & Lyon do you have to have your car smogged? I k now certain counties you have to but further o ut you don't need to smog your vehicle?

Old 09-27-2015, 02:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
No. Only the urban parts of Washoe and Clark (Las Vegas) Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area