Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,048 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am currently living in my home state and area of Pittsburgh, PA. My wife and I have visited Nevada a few times. We have found that we LOVE the desert. As motorcyclists, it's paradise to us. Now, to the point of my post. I am a mechanical/maintenance technician, locked out of my job at a Fortune 500 company. Other than the information I can glean form career websites, I need some boots on the ground information on what it's like there for blue collar workers. Obviously, I'm not planning on living in downtown Reno on the salary I'd receive, but I have looked around at places like Sun Valley(I know, I know..), Ferney, Silver Springs, etc. So....my question is, are my heavy industrial skills transferable there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM

Come on...Somebody must have some sort of input. My "moving to Reno fund" Started depleting last Saturday. I applied online at Tesla, and for another position at ConAgra a few weeks ago, but have heard nothing. I feel my resume is weak. Regardless, I will maintain that I would rather be poor in Nevada, than live another day in Pennsylvania! 40 years is enough of this den of corruption. Nevada can never hold a candle to the stranglehold that crooked politicians, the mafia, and unions have had on this state. We have almost 12 million people living here, and I can't figure out why.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:45 AM

42,710 posts, read 25,867,327 times
I just checked RR Donnelley in Stead. they have a job open for a "roll tender" whatever that is Roll Tender Job in Reno, Nevada 24037 RR Donnelley, . Here are some job sites you might check (not sure I am allowed to put links to these in C-D, so copy & paste.
reno.craigslist.org/
indeed.com/
renotahoejobs.com
This forum isn't very active so I'm not sure how much input you will get. I moved out of Nevada last year so I have no clue who is hiring, all I can tell you is that there isn't much manufacturing in Nevada but there is warehousing so you probably would want to check those, i.e Walmart,Amazon, Barnes&Noble, JC Penney, tirerack - I'm pretty sure they all hire maintenance mechanics if nothing else.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 AM

Hey thanks for the reply and the link!

Old 08-20-2015, 02:58 PM

480 posts, read 615,948 times
You might check to see if WM.... waste management needs any mechanics? Or...Learn how to work on slot machines and you'll be sure to get on. Careers | IGT

Old 08-21-2015, 12:03 PM

23 posts, read 45,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBlu View Post
Come on...Somebody must have some sort of input. My "moving to Reno fund" Started depleting last Saturday. I applied online at Tesla, and for another position at ConAgra a few weeks ago, but have heard nothing. I feel my resume is weak. Regardless, I will maintain that I would rather be poor in Nevada, than live another day in Pennsylvania! 40 years is enough of this den of corruption. Nevada can never hold a candle to the stranglehold that crooked politicians, the mafia, and unions have had on this state. We have almost 12 million people living here, and I can't figure out why.
Dude, I am right there with ya!! We live on the opposite side, near Philadelphia. Closing in on 30 years living here and I had enough of the "Northeast" quagmire. (Gotta love our Attorney General, eh?)

God willing, not long now and we will be able to call Nevada home.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:34 PM

You might check all the City, County and State websites for job openings, Government jobs are usually secure and have good benefits. The California State Prison in Susanville, hires some civilian mechanics and maintenance workers, I think Susanville is about 90 minutes from downtown Reno though.

Don't shoot me for saying this but if you can't find a job in Reno, consider Sacramento, there a lot more jobs in Sac, and they generally pay better than in Nevada. The cost of living is about the same as Northern Nevada. I know...it's not Reno, but it is only 2 hours away from Reno, and there are nice places to live that are within driving distance of Sac, like Auburn and Colfax.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,973 times
The State of Nevada is hiring highway maintenance workers in the Reno/Sparks area - if you're interested in that, here's a link to the website:
https://nvapps.state.nv.us/NEATS/Rec...T5rXSr59yMBykz

Any government job in Nevada is a great gig - we have a financially secure Public Employees Retirement Fund (PERS) plus many holidays including "Nevada Day" (the last Friday in October).

Amazon seems to be hiring warehouse workers all the time and I believe Zulily is opening a warehouse here too.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra78 View Post
The State of Nevada is hiring highway maintenance workers in the Reno/Sparks area - if you're interested in that, here's a link to the website:
https://nvapps.state.nv.us/NEATS/Rec...T5rXSr59yMBykz

Any government job in Nevada is a great gig - we have a financially secure Public Employees Retirement Fund (PERS) plus many holidays including "Nevada Day" (the last Friday in October).

Amazon seems to be hiring warehouse workers all the time and I believe Zulily is opening a warehouse here too.
My son worked at Amazon while he went to UNR, he walked 12-14 miles a night, said if you aren't in good shape don't even think about working there. He was hired when Amazon hired direct, now I think all hourly employees are hired through a temp agency with no benefits. A better place to check would be UPS or Fed Ex, I think they pay a bit better and you don't walk all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area