Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times

Advertisements

I would like to be 30 minutes or less to 60 minutes max away from Costco.
A big plus if I can be 30 minutes within a 24 hr. Fitness Club.

My primary goal is to find a rural area with a modern house 1,500 sq. ft. minimum to 2,500 sq.ft or above that is in an area that has little or no traffic, traffic signs or signals. I don't want to live in tract housing.

Would prefer closest neighbor if any to be 1/2 to 1 mile plus away.

I would prefer privacy and seclusion the quiet life.

Yet I would like to be within striking distance of a Costco and 24 hr. Fitness Club,

I don't want to live in those areas that have gun restrictions and gun registration and smog testing for cars so that would rule out Douglas Co., Washoe Co. and areas around Reno and Carson City or any other highly populated counties I don't know about that are not automobile friendly with good roads without smog laws and gun registration.

I don't want to be near Las Vegas but prefer the northern part of Nevada.
Which is the coolest part of Nevada away from the highly populated areas such as Reno and Carson City to live?

Prefer low population density. Want privacy and quiet. But prefer not to have to drive on icy or snow roads. Don't have 4 X 4 truck or AWD vehicle and don't want to have to buy one. I do plan on buying a new car rear wheel drive.

What are car registration fees in Nevada and sales tax in comparison to CALIFORNIA?

I have heard of places like Elko Co.,Winnenamucca, Viginia City, Fallon, Fenley, Lovelock, Mustang and I am sure there are other places? Any recommendations to an area with low or little crime where there is not much snow but I like cool temps. I don't do good in hot weather 77 degrees and above so an air conditioner is mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:33 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
My primary goal is to find a rural area with a modern house 1,500 sq. ft. minimum to 2,500 sq.ft or above that is in an area that has little or no traffic, traffic signs or signals. I don't want to live in tract housing.
Yet I would like to be within striking distance of a Costco and 24 hr. Fitness Club,
I don't want to live in those areas that have gun restrictions and gun registration and smog testing for cars so that would rule out Douglas Co., Washoe Co. and areas around Reno and Carson City or any other highly populated counties I don't know about that are not automobile friendly with good roads without smog laws and gun registration.
Which is the coolest part of Nevada away from the highly populated areas such as Reno and Carson City to live?
Prefer low population density. Want privacy and quiet. But prefer not to have to drive on icy or snow roads. Don't have 4 X 4 truck or AWD vehicle and don't want to have to buy one. I do plan on buying a new car rear wheel drive.
What are car registration fees in Nevada and sales tax in comparison to CALIFORNIA?
I have heard of places like Elko Co.,Winnenamucca, Viginia City, Fallon, Fenley, Lovelock, Mustang and I am sure there are other places? Any recommendations to an area with low or little crime where there is not much snow but I like cool temps. I don't do good in hot weather 77 degrees and above so an air conditioner is mandatory.
Maybe you could narrow your list a bit by looking for locations for 24 hour fitness and costco, then using google maps narrow down which places appear to meet your needs? Car registration fees you can determine on the Nevada DMV site Nevada Vehicle Registration. Sales tax varies by area, here's a map: http://tax.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/taxn...ff_10-2014.pdf Houses for sale, look online: https://www.redfin.com/ (and you might get more responses if you narrowed your search down to Nevada before you ask for help, right now it looks like you are asking for very similar advise about several different states)

Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,964,896 times
The only Costco stores in northern NV are in Reno, Sparks, Carson City.

I don't believe that registration of firearms is required in NV. Maybe someone else will chime in on that one.

Temperature...we have several days during the summer in triple digits (maybe not up at Lake Tahoe though) and most winters generally have sub-zero nights, snow, and ice. Most of the valley is at ~5000' elevation.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post

Your specification is over drawn. Northern NV is cold in the winter and it snows. Not huge but you need a four wheel if out of town.

Costco and 24 Fit are urban things. Need urban densities to support them. There is a Costco at the southern end of Carson City that might work...But you are going to find most other parameters challenging. You can go up hill toward Tahoe...but bring big money. You can head south but that is really rural.. West maybe?

Forget about the rest of northern NV. It is beautiful and immense and isolated and cold in the winter.

Maybe southern Utah? Around zion or St George. Migfht find a Costco there.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe you could narrow your list a bit by looking for locations for 24 hour fitness and costco, then using google maps narrow down which places appear to meet your needs? Car registration fees you can determine on the Nevada DMV site Nevada Vehicle Registration. Sales tax varies by area, here's a map: http://tax.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/taxn...ff_10-2014.pdf Houses for sale, look online: https://www.redfin.com/ (and you might get more responses if you narrowed your search down to Nevada before you ask for help, right now it looks like you are asking for very similar advise about several different states)
Thanks for those websites.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Your specification is over drawn. Northern NV is cold in the winter and it snows. Not huge but you need a four wheel if out of town.

Costco and 24 Fit are urban things. Need urban densities to support them. There is a Costco at the southern end of Carson City that might work...But you are going to find most other parameters challenging. You can go up hill toward Tahoe...but bring big money. You can head south but that is really rural.. West maybe?

Forget about the rest of northern NV. It is beautiful and immense and isolated and cold in the winter.

Maybe southern Utah? Around zion or St George. Migfht find a Costco there.
I prefer cold over hot. Not too sure about driving in the snow as I do not have 4 whee drive or AWD trucks.
Yes the Costco in Carson or Reno works for me and live out away from it but still within 30 minutes to 1 hr. is fine.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
The only Costco stores in northern NV are in Reno, Sparks, Carson City.

I don't believe that registration of firearms is required in NV. Maybe someone else will chime in on that one.

Temperature...we have several days during the summer in triple digits (maybe not up at Lake Tahoe though) and most winters generally have sub-zero nights, snow, and ice. Most of the valley is at ~5000' elevation.
Up north in Sparks, Lovelock, Fenley, and Winnemucca spelling? how many days out of the year does it go above 100? What are the typical high temps in those areas? Does it rain at all up north?

Costco in Reno, Sparks and Carson city works fine with me. I just need to be further out within 30 minutes to 1 hr. in a rural area. I don't want to live in tract housing.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:38 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,964,896 times
Some summers we have a lot of the summer over 100. This year we only had a few days. Just depends. It rains everywhere in NV. Just because we are in the desert...The average rainfall annually is around 7-8".

This should answer your weather questions...

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/usnv0076

If you are in a rural area you are going to need 4WD or AWD as you will be driving on roads that are not maintained if you are 0.5 - 1 mile from neighbors. Even your own driveway may not be passable when we have snow. Might want an ATV or snowmobile if you want to be really alone and far away from neighbors.

If you don't have to go to work every day, and can wait for snow to melt to leave the house (anywhere from same day to a few days, as amount of snow will depend on your elevation) then 4WD and AWD might not be necessary.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Some summers we have a lot of the summer over 100. This year we only had a few days. Just depends. It rains everywhere in NV. Just because we are in the desert...The average rainfall annually is around 7-8".

This should answer your weather questions...

Climate Reno - Nevada and Weather averages Reno

If you are in a rural area you are going to need 4WD or AWD as you will be driving on roads that are not maintained if you are 0.5 - 1 mile from neighbors. Even your own driveway may not be passable when we have snow. Might want an ATV or snowmobile if you want to be really alone and far away from neighbors.

If you don't have to go to work every day, and can wait for snow to melt to leave the house (anywhere from same day to a few days, as amount of snow will depend on your elevation) then 4WD and AWD might not be necessary.
THANKS for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area