Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:21 AM

175 posts, read 250,350 times

Advertisements

= 2sleepy,

Reno, Carson, and gardnerville, the people are friendlier than rivals Phoenix, Scottsdale, sedona, San Luis Obispo, palm Springs, and flagstaff.

Interesting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 01:48 AM

= 2sleepy

To clear up a misunderstanding we discussed earlier, here's one map of Caughlin ranch. I had stated that all of sw Reno was casually referred to as Caughlin ranch, such as the local coffee shops and restaurants on some of the nearby streets such as plumb and mccarran,

http://www.caughlinhoa.com/pdf/trailmap.pdf

Sorry for the misunderstanding as I was referring to the surrounding commercial non residential areas as well.

Midtown on Virginia street is a hipster area. It has a long way to go before many girls and some guys would feel comfortable. That's why I mentioned that they would socialize in the southwest Reno, so called Caughlin ranch area.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
= 2sleepy

To clear up a misunderstanding we discussed earlier, here's one map of Caughlin ranch. I had stated that all of sw Reno was casually referred to as Caughlin ranch, such as the local coffee shops and restaurants on some of the nearby streets such as plumb and mccarran,

Sorry for the misunderstanding as I was referring to the surrounding commercial non residential areas as well.

Midtown on Virginia street is a hipster area. It has a long way to go before many girls and some guys would feel comfortable. That's why I mentioned that they would socialize in the southwest Reno, so called Caughlin ranch area.

Here is if anyone is interested the city of Reno doc on Caughlin ranch, the boundaries don't even include the lakeridge and plumas areas that are commonly but inappropriately referred to as Caughlin ranch.

The late Sam jaksick designed the ranch along with the lakeridge golf course and montreaux. He was one of the best developers in the great basin. His parents moved from Idaho to Quincy and ran the lumber mill.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Caug...obile&ie=UTF-8

Old 01-21-2016, 09:42 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
= 2sleepy
No need to apologize I respect that you did some research on it. The only thing that I'm still going to disagree with you on is that young people socialize in Caughlin Ranch. These are the bars that I've seen frequented by young people and they are basically all in midtown or nearby. Best Bars with live music in Reno, NV

There are no venues with live music in or near Caughlin Ranch. Moxie's is sort of a 'martini ba' and is actually in Caughlin Ranch (McCarran & Cashill) but I've been there a number of times and the average customer is probably 70 and wealthy. Aside from that, there is Flowing Tide but it's across 80 from Caughlin Ranch, it is frequented by younger families with lots of screaming kids.

Walden's Coffeehouse on Mayberry is a 'go to' place for bike riders of all ages on the weekends,but when you talk about young people hanging out I usually think of the pub crawl crowd.

If I'm missing any other places in the area I'm certainly interested in hearing about them.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:19 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No need to apologize I respect that you did some research on it. The only thing that I'm still going to disagree with you on is that young people socialize in Caughlin Ranch. These are the bars that I've seen frequented by young people and they are basically all in midtown or nearby. Best Bars with live music in Reno, NV

There are no venues with live music in or near Caughlin Ranch. Moxie's is sort of a 'martini ba' and is actually in Caughlin Ranch (McCarran & Cashill) but I've been there a number of times and the average customer is probably 70 and wealthy. Aside from that, there is Flowing Tide but it's across 80 from Caughlin Ranch, it is frequented by younger families with lots of screaming kids.

Walden's Coffeehouse on Mayberry is a 'go to' place for bike riders of all ages on the weekends,but when you talk about young people hanging out I usually think of the pub crawl crowd.

If I'm missing any other places in the area I'm certainly interested in hearing about them.
I went to Walden's before for an open mic night and there were plenty of younger people there, but then again open mics tend to attract that.

Your Yelp list of Midtown bars is on point. I was at St. James Infirmary when I visited last year and it was super hipster. lol. I enjoy that stuff though. Ceol is very awesome. Went there for my boyfriend's 21st birthday back in the day (of 4 years ago).

Reno does have a good bar scene. But it has a lot of alcoholics so it's sort of to be expected

Old 01-23-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I went to Walden's before for an open mic night and there were plenty of younger people there, but then again open mics tend to attract that.

Your Yelp list of Midtown bars is on point. I was at St. James Infirmary when I visited last year and it was super hipster. lol. I enjoy that stuff though. Ceol is very awesome. Went there for my boyfriend's 21st birthday back in the day (of 4 years ago).

Reno does have a good bar scene. But it has a lot of alcoholics so it's sort of to be expected
Reno, is a hipster mecca with a lot to do.
I'm a yuppie not a hipster, so prefer the social environment of Truckee, north lake Tahoe, and south reno, and making friends with folks into the outdoors.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 PM

44 posts, read 78,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I never lived in any of those places, but my son lived in Fernley for a few years. It's cheap and very 'red-necky' The only major employer, Amazon left and moved to Reno which makes the area even less desirable. There are parts of Fernley outside of town that are quite pretty and actually have some natural tree cover and creeks, but I don't think much of the subdivisions, just like I'm not drawn to the cheaper subdivisions in the North Valleys. Minden is more upscale and has a large number of retirees, Gardnerville is not as attractive but does have some nice neighborhoods.

There are lots of people who love Northern Nevada, I'm not one of them but I don't want to bash the area either. I lived in Reno for 14 years, I hated the wind and the cold winters and never found the people in the area to be very friendly. Our grown kids live in the SF Bay area. Most of the time it took 3-4 hours to get to the bay area, but in the winter and early spring there were times when it took 8 hours or more, or was simply impossible. My brother became very ill and I got stuck in a snow storm and he passed away before I could get to Oakland to see him, that was tough to deal with.

We live in Sacramento now and it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to see the kids. I love the diversity in shopping and restaurants that are available in Northern California - I really missed that in Reno. But Northern Nevada does have it's positives, less traffic, cheaper real estate and excellent opportunities for winter sports. We didn't find houses in Sac much more expensive than in Reno and we pay on the average around $200 a month less for utilities here, mostly due to the milder climate in the winter.

Sleepy your post makes me laugh, i was raised in minden/gardnerville area. The towns are right next to each other and are both in their own right great places to live. I think you fail to take in to account how big the minden/gardnerville area is so unless you have lived here please dont make misinformed statements.

Its a great retirement community but if your still working and planning on moving here it will be difficult as this town is all about who you know.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoemist98 View Post
Sleepy your post makes me laugh, i was raised in minden/gardnerville area. The towns are right next to each other and are both in their own right great places to live. I think you fail to take in to account how big the minden/gardnerville area is so unless you have lived here please dont make misinformed statements. Its a great retirement community but if your still working and planning on moving here it will be difficult as this town is all about who you know.
I have not lived in either Minden or Gardnerville but I think they are both probably the most desirable places to live in Northern Nevada. I based my information on what a Reno realtor told me and if that is wrong I apologize for providing inaccurate information.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:23 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Thank you Vic Romano, we'll also look into Spanish Springs...not familiar with that community.
Depending on where you can afford a home in Spanish Springs, you can buy nice (Bridle Path , Pebble Creek, East Calle Dela Plata) or you can buy older homes , near Desert Springs and Sky Ranch / Omni area. There are also some not so older homes near the high school and on West Calle De La Plata. Most homes are 1/3rd + acre lots.

Only issue is traffic in the morning and evening. From 7-8:30 and 3:30 - 6pm. If there is an accident , forget about it. Anything else , ask and I can answer as best as I can. I live in Spanish Springs.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:18 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,722 times
A little further down "the hill" between Spanish Springs and the lower Sparks area (which is sketchy) are communities with fairly new homes -- and brand new homes being built. Foothills of Wingfield Springs is one such area, with quite a few new homes going up in the last few years to the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area