U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,986 times

Advertisements

i am going to be moving from ca to reno sometime next yr. i will be bringing my blind senior brother to live with me. i would like to find an area that has nice walking paths. also does reno have a blind center? thanks for any info u can provide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 11:26 PM

30,988 posts, read 13,558,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginasutton View Post
i am going to be moving from ca to reno sometime next yr. i will be bringing my blind senior brother to live with me. i would like to find an area that has nice walking paths. also does reno have a blind center? thanks for any info u can provide
What's your budget, are you renting or buying? The area around Virginia lake comes to mind for easy walking, I have seen a few blind people navigating the path alone. Nevada in general does not provide very many social services, stay in California if your brother depends on them. But I looked and here's a list of blind resources: NCB: Reno Resources for Blind and Visually Impaired

Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 AM

thanks for the info. i will be buying a home with a budget up to 400,000. my brother lives alone in oregon and i want him to come live with me.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
thanks for the info. i will be buying a home with a budget up to 400,000. my brother lives alone in oregon and i want him to come live with me.
Your budget is adequate to buy a home in pretty much any part of Reno. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Reno, you might read through some of the older posts here. Here's a website that lists some areas with walking/hiking trails Reno Area Hiking and Walking Trails You might check those areas for housing nearby. Caughlin Ranch on the west side of McCarran has nice paved walking paths but there are no traffic controls on the streets adjacent which could make it difficult for a blind person to navigate the intersections on the way to the walking trails. Caughlin Ranch like Somersett are very windy. Well, all of Reno is very windy but those areas seem to get the worst of it.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM

thanks for taking the time to let me know. i have narrowed my search to damonte ranch area. what do u think?

Old 10-07-2015, 10:13 AM

can someone tell me which area is better to live in, the south meadows or sparks thanks

Old 10-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
thanks for taking the time to let me know. i have narrowed my search to damonte ranch area. what do u think?
It's a nice area, I have friends who live there and they like it.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
can someone tell me which area is better to live in, the south meadows or sparks thanks
That's impossible to answer there are parts of Sparks that are sort of sketchy and parts that are nice.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:35 PM

588 posts, read 960,270 times
If you look at a map of Reno, the two main freeways form a plus sign. Above and to the right of the plus sign is a rectangular area outlined by streets -- generally speaking, that's the sketchy part of Sparks.

Above that, and all the way up, Sparks gets nicer and nicer. Lots of new homes being built (I'm not a realtor) at reasonable prices. Kind of reminds us of the Santa Clarita/Valencia area.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 AM

i know exactly what u mean. i lived in santa clarita and newhall was the sketchy area. can u tell me if there is more snowfall in sparks than in south meadows. im not sure i could handle too much snow. in my research i found that cold springs, summer springs gets more snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or