Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 02:43 AM

6 posts, read 6,172 times

Advertisements

I have live in Los Angeles CA all my life. Recently considering to relocate to Reno NV. As a head of a family of for including my teen age daughter and a 4 year son, I would like to know if Reno would be a good place where to raised y family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 AM

932 posts, read 2,337,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISHMAEL213 View Post
I have live in Los Angeles CA all my life. Recently considering to relocate to Reno NV. As a head of a family of for including my teen age daughter and a 4 year son, I would like to know if Reno would be a good place where to raised y family?
If you can provide more information about your situation, you'll receive better answers. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site.

Do you have a job lined up? Will you be renting a place to live or buying? Public schools or private schools for your kids? Does a little cold weather in the winter bother you?

Old 05-14-2016, 12:09 PM

I already have a job line up and my wife aswell. My wife we work from home so thats a plus. The life in L.A is way exhausting do to the traffic. We are looking foward to spend more time with our kids and Reno is an option. Do only thing that realy consern me is that after reading some reviews people have mention the crime rate often and is not good. This is maybe the only thing that is holding me back of making the move already

Old 05-14-2016, 07:12 PM

340 posts, read 661,091 times
There are bad and good areas of Reno, just like LA. It all depends on where you are living. I'd suggest looking at some real estate websites to get an idea of houses within your budget and then searching for crime maps to see if any of those homes are away from the areas of high crime. Where I live in SW Reno, crime is pretty much nonexistent. One of my neighbors leaves his garage door open about half the nights with tools and sports equipment exposed for everyone to see and has never had a problem (I wouldn't ever do that after living in the Midwest, but he has been a life-long resident and apparently feels safe enough).

Be sure to check out the schools -- other posts have complained about the quality of the public schools and I don't doubt them. Regarding traffic and compared to LA, I think you will find traffic one of the better attributes of Reno.

Last edited by Hotfeet; 05-14-2016 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 AM

294 posts, read 334,979 times
Quote:
I already have a job line up and my wife aswell. My wife we work from home so thats a plus. The life in L.A is way exhausting do to the traffic. We are looking foward to spend more time with our kids and Reno is an option. Do only thing that realy consern me is that after reading some reviews people have mention the crime rate often and is not good. This is maybe the only thing that is holding me back of making the move already
Depending on where you live in LA right now, the crime rate in some Reno could be comparably less.
And the traffic here is almost non-existent compared to LA and the side streets aren't too bad and provides a way to get around without having to jump on the freeway. I personally dislike driving by the Spaghetti bowl (I-80/580 intersection)

Please do come visit and explore the area

Old 05-16-2016, 04:57 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 300,871 times
Quote:
The life in L.A is way exhausting do to the traffic. We are looking foward to spend more time with our kids and Reno is an option. Do only thing that realy consern me is that after reading some reviews people have mention the crime rate often and is not good. This is maybe the only thing that is holding me back of making the move already

Ishmael - Crime depends on where you live. Please do your research. Most of the schools are already overcrowded so please do your research on that. We are currently raising our children here. We live out in Deep Sparks (Spanish Springs) and crime is not an issue. Traffic is only on pyramid way and it takes me 20 minutes to get to work and back during peak time.

I recall living in Hollywood and would have to visit my GF in Redondo Beach at the time. I don't miss that traffic.

I've lived in Reno NW Reno where crime is not much of an issue too. You'll find a lot of gun loving people here too (It's not a bad thing).

Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 PM

Are any of you familiar with the area around Reno High School? My job will be near that area and Im looking foward to find a place close to.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 300,871 times
That school is near SW Reno (Old and New). Hotfeet may be able to chime in. Depending on how much you can afford, you can live in that area or live in NW reno where it is slightly cheaper. Your commute would not be long (10 minutes).

Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 PM

340 posts, read 661,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFF View Post
That school is near SW Reno (Old and New). Hotfeet may be able to chime in. Depending on how much you can afford, you can live in that area or live in NW reno where it is slightly cheaper. Your commute would not be long (10 minutes).
Unfortunately I can't add much of value to this discussion. I live much further south and didn't even know where the high school was until I saw the earlier posts and looked it up on a map. But it's a relatively flat area of town -- with an easy bike commute (if that's of interest) to nice areas of housing south all the way to Plumb or Moana, or possibly areas north of the river, without breaking much of a sweat. Living that close to midtown and downtown would also be a plus in my book. Further south and/or west offer even nicer neighborhoods in my opinion but prices will rise in sync.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 PM

152 posts, read 261,138 times
The Reno High area is a pretty area! It is well established with many trees and you may forget you live in a desert.

School capacity: Reno High School is orange colored on the map below, meaning it's at 90-100% capacity. Some of the other high schools are over 100% (colored red). The elementary schools in the area vary from "room to grow" (a few green colored in NW Reno) to over 100% capacity (red).
School Capacity Heat Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area