Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:14 PM

44 posts, read 64,466 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to take a job in Dayton. I understand it's about to explode in growth with Tesla building a factory there. On my interview Dayton seemed pretty slow. I can live anywhere I want but have been looking at Reno, Sparks, Minden or Carson City. I'm from the east coast and I love the outdoors, skiing, biking, camping. Any advice? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:13 AM

932 posts, read 2,347,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia1997 View Post
I have an opportunity to take a job in Dayton. I understand it's about to explode in growth with Tesla building a factory there.
The Tesla gigafactory is between Sparks and Fernley off Interstate 80, about 60 miles from Dayton. Those cities and Reno are more likely to be affected by Tesla's presence than Dayton is.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
I have an opportunity to take a job in Dayton. I understand it's about to explode in growth with Tesla building a factory there. On my interview Dayton seemed pretty slow. I can live anywhere I want but have been looking at Reno, Sparks, Minden or Carson City. I'm from the east coast and I love the outdoors, skiing, biking, camping. Any advice? Thanks
Dayton won't explode, trust me...it's a sleepy little place but I have friends who live there and love it. If you don't want to live in Dayton, get google maps out and calculate the driving time to other area towns and narrow down you choices that way.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,119 times
Currently there are no direct routes between Dayton and Tesla. There is a plan to build one, but I don't see dirt being moved yet. Dayton is a pretty sleepy little place, not much of a boom town, and no indication it will be. There are some recent amenities to living in Dayton these days. They have built grocery stores, doctors' offices, etc in the last 10-12 years. So you don't need to come into Carson City for everything. But Carson City is still the nearest hospital, Costco, etc. Certain parts of Dayton are very nice, and certain parts of Dayton are very old and shabby. If you are looking for housing be careful as there are areas with very "mixed" neighborhoods...mobile homes, typical tract housing, and mcmansions all rolled in together.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:11 PM

44 posts, read 64,466 times
Thanks everyone!

So I'd be moving from the Deep South. Think "Dukes of Hazzard" and CSA flags on government buildings. It's been a challenge since we're a biracial couple.

I think I'd live in Minden, Carson City, or south Reno. My husband would go to college at UNR. Any advice on where to live?

Old 11-06-2015, 01:42 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone!
So I'd be moving from the Deep South. Think "Dukes of Hazzard" and CSA flags on government buildings. It's been a challenge since we're a biracial couple.
I think I'd live in Minden, Carson City, or south Reno. My husband would go to college at UNR. Any advice on where to live?
South Reno. It's closer to the college and while it's not 'diverse' it's definitely more so than either Carson or Minden. I lived in Reno for 14 years, and didn't observe any racism, but I'm white.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:39 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,119 times
Getting to UNR from the outlying areas in bad weather can be a long drive. The new 580 extension to Carson City makes it better, but not perfect. There are some bridges at higher elevation than the valley and it seems there have been quite a few accidents during bad weather up there. You always have the option of taking 395/Virginia Street, but then you have to deal with stoplights.

Unless you are into spending a lot of time driving, I would opt for south Reno. Even then he will have to navigate the 580/80 interchange (we refer to it as the "spaghetti bowl") and the never ending construction in that area.

On the other hand, you will have to commute to Dayton, no easy feat from south Reno either. Maybe Carson would be a good compromise.

I don't believe you will experience any racial problems here, though I'm white. I understand your description of the Deep South and things are more liberal here.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:55 AM

5 posts, read 5,968 times
If you love the outdoors, Carson is the way to go! It is less than ten minutes to great hiking, less than 20 to the gorgeous Lake Tahoe. Also, in only 12 minutes or less you can be in Reno at the South end. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:24 AM

44 posts, read 78,680 times
Carson is nice right in the middle of everything only a short drive to dayton and to reno if your going to UNR

Old 12-01-2015, 07:22 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Of the three, I think Carson City would be your best fit, esp. commute-wise for you and your husband.

As mentioned, it provides quick and easy access to great hiking, boating, skiing, mountain biking, etc. in the Sierra Nevada and Pine Nut Mountains.

It may not be as pretty as the Carson Valley (Minden), but its central location will provide you with good access to all the offerings there, as well as in Reno. If you are into ethnic cooking, there are also more options for ethnic groceries/supplies in Carson City than Minden, and it has several very good restaurants (Cafe at Adele's and a decent pho place quickly comes to mind).

In terms of diversity, I would rate South Reno most diverse, followed by Carson City, then Minden.

Btw, there are some easy hike/walks within the Carson City area itself, and I highly recommend Desolation Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada mtns. for backpacking/camping.

Last edited by mingna; 12-01-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area