U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 PM

30,989 posts, read 13,564,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph View Post
Hey, guys, thank you all so very much for your quick replies. I am so glad that I asked the question; I thought there would be several supermarkets to choose from in the downtown area. Based on your comments, now I don't think it is an ideal place for me to move to (I will be living on a budget, so won't be able to afford a car). Are there cities (like Boston) in Northern or Central Nevada that one can live without a car? Thank you all once again!
Most large cities don't have many grocery stores in their downtown area and downtown areas in big cities are usually expensive. You could live somewhere like Sacramento, where even suburbs are served by decent bus service that would take you to any kind of shopping you needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 01:19 AM

175 posts, read 175,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I’m pretty sure that Reno and Las Vegas are your ONLY options. You could look at Carson City. But if Reno doesn’t work for you, then I can’t imagine how Carson City could possibly work.
Mammoth lakes, CA has free bus service year round. Using gambling monies, Nevada should annex mammoth, Bishop, ridgecrest, Truckee, susanville, and Tahoe, and California can have more resources to have its streets!

Last edited by Tolerance999; 01-08-2016 at 01:32 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoemist98 View Post
Please tell me what you think of Reno??? DO you enjoy watching low lifes down town and on the river walk? Do you enjoy people begging for money at every corner? Perhaps your need a break out of your reno bubble and see what amazing areas are out there. OH wait no dont do that cuz then you might move there please stay in reno where you belong......
I've lived in Reno and social life in Reno takes place in the suburbs, like double diamond damonte ranch area, and Caughlin ranch. Such individuals aren't in the suburbs.

Riding buses all over town would put you in closer proximity to such individuals.

But keep in mind that all Reno streets are either very wide, or, they have bike lanes, since the Mormons planned the city. So it's easy to get around on a bike without a car! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐����������

Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
I've lived in Reno and social life in Reno takes place in the suburbs, like double diamond damonte ranch area, and Caughlin ranch. Such individuals aren't in the suburbs.

Riding buses all over town would put you in closer proximity to such individuals.

But keep in mind that all Reno streets are either very wide, or, they have bike lanes, since the Mormons planned the city. So it's easy to get around on a bike without a car! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐����������
I'm not sure what kind of social life takes place in Caughlin Ranch, but if someone was planning on taking a bus there, they'd better think again, the closest bus stop to Caughlin Ranch is 3 miles away.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure what kind of social life takes place in Caughlin Ranch, but if someone was planning on taking a bus there, they'd better think again, the closest bus stop to Caughlin Ranch is 3 miles away.
A variety of shopping centers with restaurants, recreation centers, tennis, swimming, golf, running, mountain biking, etc. I don't know where the bus stops are but they wouldn't be that far away since lots of UNR students live in the apartments there.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
A variety of shopping centers with restaurants, recreation centers, tennis, swimming, golf, running, mountain biking, etc. I don't know where the bus stops are but they wouldn't be that far away since lots of UNR students live in the apartments there.
I lived in Caughlin Ranch, it's 2200 homes with some duck ponds and walking paths, no rec center, golf, none of that. There is a bar and a Thai restaurant in the Scolari's shopping center...have you ever even been to Reno?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I lived in Caughlin Ranch, it's 2200 homes with some duck ponds and walking paths, no rec center, golf, none of that. There is a bar and a Thai restaurant in the Scolari's shopping center...have you ever even been to Reno?
Hmmmm, sorry about that, maybe I'm referring to one of the neighboring hoas near plumb and mccarran???

Old 01-10-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm, sorry about that, maybe I'm referring to one of the neighboring hoas near plumb and mccarran???
Nope, all of the homes in that area are part of Caughlin Ranch. There are some areas of Caughlin Ranch that have 'sub associations' in other words, you pay dues to the sub association and Caughlin Ranch but none of them have golf courses or club houses, a few have a small community swimming pool or tennis court but that's about it. Somersett has a golf course, maybe that's what you are thinking of?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:46 AM

44 posts, read 59,565 times
if the OP was looking at living downtown they can access grocery shopping at the keystone square it might be a bit of a walk or bus ride also there is a walmart off second st near the GS, shopping is accessible but spread out and would take the OP a day to access several stores.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM

821 posts, read 2,472,824 times
Here is a recent article about downtown, and why there is no supermarket, etc:

Only on RGJ.com: Can Reno revive downtown this year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or