U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:45 AM

71 posts, read 102,221 times

Advertisements

Hello, guys, I am thinking about moving to Reno next summer. I was wondering if I will need a car to "survive" (maybe it has a very good public transportation system?). Thank you so very much for your assistance and help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 05:33 AM

160 posts, read 118,180 times
why not check out the Regional Transportation Commission

Old 12-21-2015, 07:23 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,842,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph View Post
Hello, guys, I am thinking about moving to Reno next summer. I was wondering if I will need a car to "survive" (maybe it has a very good public transportation system?). Thank you so very much for your assistance and help in advance!
My dad lived in Reno for 20 years without a car, and he didnít seem have a problem. I have ridden the buses in Reno. They run pretty frequently 24 hours a day on the major streets, like Virginia St. About every 10 minutes in the afternoon and evening. Less late at night and in the morning.

I do think that you will probably be pretty limited on where you can live though. The bus routes are focused on the major streets, with little to no service in the residential areas. So unless you want to walk a very long distance to get to the bus stop, you will want to live near a major route.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 PM

30,893 posts, read 13,434,612 times
It depends where you live, I lived in SW Reno near Cashill & McCarran and the nearest bus stop was 3 miles away

Old 12-22-2015, 12:59 AM

588 posts, read 957,796 times
Also check the weather. It can get very hot in the summer, and sometimes snows in the winter.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:16 PM

594 posts, read 594,278 times
I'm still searching for the area with the least amount of wind. Close to a bus stop is icing on the cake.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:09 AM

30,893 posts, read 13,434,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
I'm still searching for the area with the least amount of wind. Close to a bus stop is icing on the cake.
the wind is present everywhere in the area, there is really no way to avoid it, although downtown Reno never seems as windy as the outlying area that are at higher elevations.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:24 PM

821 posts, read 2,467,604 times
I live in downtown Reno and I don't have a car. Yes, it is possible.

The buses don't run 24 hrs, many only go to early or late evening. The system is extensive, but it is not uncommon for a route to only run a bus once an hour or once every half hour. A couple of the popular routes run more often, but they are not typical. So I don't use the buses much except for the express that goes down Virginia, it is convenient.

Grocery shopping downtown is not good. There are a few convenience stores but the nearest full-fledged supermarket is in Keystone Square, about a 3/4 mile walk from me. In fact there isn't much shopping at all downtown, it is not a shopping destination like many downtowns are. There's plenty of shopping in the strip malls outside downtown.

Midtown has become a popular place to live, but there is a lack of apartment rentals near the main "drag" of Virginia Ave., in my opinion. In fact finding a good apartment complex where one can live satisfactorily without a car can be a challenge. Many complexes are the typical two-story mid-century type that look more like a motel than an apartment complex, or just not the greatest place. (But with a car one's options are of course much greater.)

Yes, it is possible to live here without a car.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:46 AM

821 posts, read 2,467,604 times
(More on living in Reno without a car)

After the Great Recession of 2008 Downtown became a bargain. One could even buy a condo apartment at almost fire sale prices. But in the last year or so, everything has gone up, both due to an improving economy and a rental shortage.

Depending one's budget, one could rent a downtown condo. In order of prestige (my opinion) they are:

The Palladio
The Montage
The Arlington
The Riverwalk
The Park Tower
The Belvedere
The Sierra Vista

I've never rented a condo so I can't really comment, but I would certainly love to live at any of the top 5 of that list.

The thing about Downtown is that there are the condo rentals, then the weekly/monthly "no credit check!" type places, but not a whole lot in between. There are also some houses divided into apartments, but I know little about those, I've always lived in apartment buildings. I live at Ross Manor which had been very good for me, but I could only recommend the apartments that are in the $750 range and above, anything less than that and it won't feel like a real apartment where you can live long term. Being in the Riverwalk district is great, plenty of restaurants and bars and nightlife, and a movie theater across the street, but as I said before Downtown is not great for shopping.

Anyway, living in Reno without a car is not ideal, but certainly possible.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:26 PM

71 posts, read 102,221 times
Hey, guys, thank you all so very much for your quick replies. I am so glad that I asked the question; I thought there would be several supermarkets to choose from in the downtown area. Based on your comments, now I don't think it is an ideal place for me to move to (I will be living on a budget, so won't be able to afford a car).

Are there cities (like Boston) in Northern or Central Nevada that one can live without a car?

Thank you all once again!

Last edited by Jozeph; 12-24-2015 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or