Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 25,917 times

Advertisements

mommaof4boys is right. The Liberals and Lawyers have ruined the school system. With no discipline there can be no learning. That's why the school system is so bad! NOT Money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 10,038 times
I am attending my senior year of highschool. I can honetly say that drugs have never been a big issue in the school here. I am someone experiencing the nevada educational system everyday! i think i would know!
also reno is probably one of the funnest most cultural places you could live in. We have victorian square events that are amazing (farmers market, rib cook off, hot august nights ex.) we are also about a half an hour away from one of the most beautiful places in the world! lake tahoe. I love the city i live in and anyone who talks badly about it has obviously never experienced what reno is really about. I mean sure the people may be mean sometimes and blunt but i have been to texas and other southern states before and i will say this: they are a lot more blunt and rude then i ever imagined. anywhere and everywhere you go it is the ineveitable that you will meet a rude person. if you dont like reno then leave. its that simple.how's that for blunt?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM

142 posts, read 999,217 times
Wow...I can tell by your grammar (funnest) and punctuation that you are a product of the Reno school system.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM

40 posts, read 126,625 times
Priceless

Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 AM

7 posts, read 19,877 times
Since the thread is specifically about Reno schools, and since I am an educator hoping to get a job in the Washoe County School District, I couldn't help but take my little red pen to the above message. This is not intended to insult the writer in any way; merely to point out that the schools may not, in fact, be as good as she thinks they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsitnebean, with corrections inserted in red by Jespere View Post
I am attending my senior (Senior; should be capitalized) year of highschool.("high school" is two words)
I can honetly (honestly) say that drugs have never been a big issue in the school here.
I am someone experiencing the nevada (Nevada: proper names should always be capitalized) educational system everyday ("every day" is two words)!
i (I: capitalize it every time unless you are e.e. cummings) think i (I) would know!
also (Also; first words of sentences should be capitalized) reno (Reno; proper noun again) is probably one of the funnest (most fun) most cultural places you could live in.
We have victorian (Victorian should be capitalizeed, as it's an adjective taken from Queen Victoria's name) square (Victorian Square is the proper name of a place; capitalize the S in Square, too) events that are amazing (farmers (farmer's: this should have an apostrophe S, as it is possessive) market, rib cook off, hot august (August; names of months should always be capitalized) nights ex.) (this abbreviation should be "etc." as it is short for the latin "et cetera"; also, there should be a period at the end of this sentence after the close-parenthesis)
we are also about a half an hour away from one of the most beautiful places in the world! (this exclamation point should rightly be a colon, since you're about to list them, but I'll let this one go because you're so excited) lake tahoe.(Lake Tahoe, capitalize it. It's another proper noun)
I love the city i (I) live in and anyone who talks badly about it has obviously never experienced what reno (Reno) is really about.
I mean sure (, insert comma here, to separate the clauses) the people may be mean sometimes and blunt but i (I) have been to texas (Texas; it's a proper noun) and other southern states before and i (I) will say this: (Excellent and perfectly correct use of a colon! Congratulations!) they are a lot more blunt and rude then i (I) ever imagined.
anywhere (Anywhere: capitalize the first word of a sentence) and everywhere you go it is the (you don't need "the" here) ineveitable (inevitable) that you will meet a rude person.
if (If: capitalize the first word of a sentence) you dont (don't: when a letter is removed, such as the o in "not," it must be replaced with an apostrophe) like reno (Reno: proper noun!) then leave.
its (It's: capitalize first word of a sentence, AND replace the missing letter--in this case the i from "is"--with an apostrophe) that simple.how's (How's: insert at least one space after a period, capitalize the first letter of a sentence) that for blunt?
I have no problem with the bluntness, but as an advertisement for the Reno school system, your writing leaves me a little concerned about the quality of education offered by those schools. You average at least 3 errors per sentence. No offense intended at all, and please don't take this personally. I blame the schools, not you. But at least you've shown me that they can use my skills in the district! Wish me luck in my job search, eh?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 PM

171 posts, read 765,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jespere View Post
Since the thread is specifically about Reno schools, and since I am an educator hoping to get a job in the Washoe County School District, I couldn't help but take my little red pen to the above message. This is not intended to insult the writer in any way; merely to point out that the schools may not, in fact, be as good as she thinks they are.

I have no problem with the bluntness, but as an advertisement for the Reno school system, your writing leaves me a little concerned about the quality of education offered by those schools. You average at least 3 errors per sentence. No offense intended at all, and please don't take this personally. I blame the schools, not you. But at least you've shown me that they can use my skills in the district! Wish me luck in my job search, eh?
You are so much smarter than the hicks out here. Thank you.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:15 AM

21 posts, read 93,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jespere View Post

"those who can, do; those who can’t, teach"

This is not intended to be an insult.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:07 PM

173 posts, read 979,198 times
Nothing like ripping someone's post apart. Good grief people. Heaven forbid should someone post something positive, with or without punctuation/spelling issues.

Jespere, I did find a typo in your lovely post correcting the previous poster. Oh dear.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 19,877 times
I appear to have gone overboard. I didn't think about how my comments would be received from an outsider. I am sorry for offending. That was not my intention.

The irony of someone defending the quality of the school system with a post that was that riddled with errors just got to me. I didn't mean to tick anyone off. As an educator (and I can both do and teach, thank you!) and as a parent of a child who will go into this school system, the quality of the education is a major concern for me.

Please forgive my insensitive way of expressing that concern.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 PM

40 posts, read 126,625 times
Bottom line, Nevada ranks 48-49 nationwide, what is left to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area