Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 PM

5,905 posts, read 7,236,910 times

Advertisements

As a former educator in Florida, as we used to say, "Thank goodness there's a Mississippi!"

MR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,064 times
Hi Mikki,

I am planning to move to Reno between March-June 09. I plan to transfer there with my work and my wife who will be coming from Philippines. I was just wondering how well do you now norther Reno. My work is near Sierra Golf Course on Steal Blvd. I was also wondering if you know anyway I can find an apartment right around that area.

I am also moving from hartford, Wi so i am also a cheesehead I'd appreciate any info you can provide me about reno.

thanks,

driton

Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 AM

19 posts, read 66,681 times
Default Nevada's poor edu system

http://www.rgj.com/article/20081203/NEWS02/812030445

Old 08-26-2009, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,682 times
Default serious racism in reno

Hello my name is Johnathan. I am a 28 year old black man, and father of 2 small sons. I want to know what are the race relations in reno like. Would an mostly white or neighborhood have a problem with a young black man and family moving in? I am a US merchant marine and are relocating to the westcoast for job and to find a richer and heathier enviroment for my boys. Pls feel free to email me at [email]willjk3025@yahoo.com[/email]

Thank you

Old 10-04-2009, 01:13 AM
nv2

3 posts, read 8,040 times
This is for other readers. We are trying to decide whether to leave Reno for Honolulu. Oddly, these post about Reno are what I was going to say about Honolulu and their Marajuana problems. Las Vegas has the meth issues, Reno - not so much. Reno has excellent schools in the 89511 zip. Our test scores at Hunsberger are in the top 3 and 90%tile. We left Brookfield because our school zone was so excellent. Honolulu schools are worse then Reno, so we can't the worst in 50 states because I found HI to be much worse than NV.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:09 AM

40 posts, read 126,269 times
You are missing the point, even the "best schools" in the state where schools are ranked 48-50 are only compared to other schools in that state, if there were 2 baskets of apples, one basket with crisp tasty apples and one basket with bruised, rotten apples and you were only allowed to pick from the later basket, even the best of the rotten apples wont be as good as the worst crisp, fresh apple

Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,500,282 times
Kids are kids, teachers are teachers. One will get as good an education in Reno/Sparks as anywhere else. The school has your kid for 6 hours, you have him/her for 18, what your kid accomplishes is up to you, not to a school.

Basically, today, all schools subject to NCLB suck, nationwide. It is not the fault of the teacher or the school, it is the fault of a badly written punitive law.

What does a kid benefit from by being in Reno? Mountains and wild country out the back door. Tahoe in the summer, skiing in the winter, club soccer, mtn biking, hiking, fishing.

Comparing the benefits of Reno/Sparks to most urban messopolis's is like comparing heaven to that other place.

If you and your kids are dedicated townies, stay where you are. If you want to live live as an adventure, and you want to teach your kids that life is an adventure, Head for Nevada.

Regarding private schools such as Brookfield; Private schools generally pay about 50% of what public schools pay, so, why would someone work there? Often they work there because they cannot get a public school job.

Where do the kids go to school who are so rotten they get kicked out of public school? mmm.... Private school.

Private schools, like "gifted" programs are little more than a sop to parent egos.

Regarding Honolulu; Hawaii might be a nice place, but Honolulu strikes me as a dump, just my opinion.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,976,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Regarding Honolulu; Hawaii might be a nice place, but Honolulu strikes me as a dump, just my opinion.
I think of Honolulu as the most amazing city on earth....BUT who can afford it? You'd need substantial income to live there, PLUS you'd still be living in a very crowded tiny little apartment at astronomical prices - do-able if you are single, but not so do-able when raising kids.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,650 times
i hate reno i dont liked at all its hard to find a job,rent prices are crazy,rude people, tons of black people,schools are bad day cares are super high everything about this town is bad trafic its crazy.
it seems like they always working in the road,close avenues,streets and dont do anything,i want to be out of here as soon as posible. horrible place to live.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
Ouch, way harsh. Sorry everyone has had such a negative experience out here in Hickville, USA. I checked this site for Christian Preschool and Kindergarten information and heard a lot more about middle school and high school (sadly, I have heard the same negative input). I live in South Reno and have found a lot of good people who are now friends (teachers among them), believe it or not, I found them at our local public school kindergarten (1/2 day program). It's not a perfect town to be sure, but there are fun things to do with people that are likeable and friendly. Have you been approachable? Look within. Are you willing to be part of your child's education? Or do you believe the schools should handle that all by themselves? Lake Tahoe is 45 minutes away from our home, have you seen its beauty? Ask around, it's not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area