U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 PM

20 posts, read 102,531 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are thinking of moving to Reno b/c of his job. We have 2 small children who would be entering pre-school when we get there.

I have never been to Reno and we would obviously need to visit before making the decision. After reading some of the posts, though, the meth problem may be a deal breaker.

So, how bad is the drug problem in Reno? How prevalent is it in the schools? What pre-schools/elementary schools would you recommend? Does it make any difference if the schools are private or public or are drugs everywhere?

Any advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 04:20 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,341,328 times
I don't think the drug problem is that much different than anywhere else. They are everywhere.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:38 PM

20 posts, read 102,531 times
I've lived all over the country and agree there are drugs everywhere, but some places are worse than others. In order, I'd probably say the drug problem was worst in (1) South FL & California (2) the NE (3) Midwest. Is Reno comparable to CA?

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM

690 posts, read 2,445,508 times
I have a son who attended a middle school in Reno last year (about 800 students). He said that he never saw any drugs or knew of anyone taking drugs. He said that most of the problems (he felt) were racially motivated. He felt that one particular race ran the school.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM

151 posts, read 644,416 times
Hi Chicago,

We moved here to Reno from the Milwaukee area last summer. I teach in the area and our 7 yr old attends school here as well. Please feel free to Direct Message me with any specific questions you may have!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 AM

159 posts, read 560,834 times
My kids attend High School and elementary school. While there have been a few drug problems, none of it has been Meth related. However, the education system is sorely lacking.

My kids attended school in the NE and we never once encountered a drug issue of any kind, and, my daughter walked away with two high school credits of a foreign language when she started school here in Reno as a middle schooler because she was so advanced compared to here.

Drugs should be the last thing you should worry about within the school system, the lack of a good education should be #1.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,898 times
Consider this website for school comparisons [URL="http://nevadareportcard.com/"]Nevada Accountability Report[/URL]
The drug problem here is the same as around the country. Officials are trying to address the meth problem. I raised two children here and they are currently attending UNR. Never had a meth problem with them. The only reason I am aware of the problem is the marketing the governor has implemented.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM

148 posts, read 418,379 times
I don't think drugs should factor into your decision to move here. I am sure it is an issue in certain pockets, but not in the vast majority of family friendly neighborhoods. I have never personally encountered the issue except in my professional life. We moved here when my dd was entering Kindergarten. There was no way I would send her to public Kindergarten which is only 2 hours and 10 minutes a day! We enrolled her at Brookfield School and have been there since. (She is now in 3rd grade.) We feel the quality of her education is far above that of the public schools here. I do know that Caughlin Ranch and Roy Gomm Elementary schools have very strong reputations. There are a couple of other strong elementary schools as well. Pine Middle has a bad rep. Reno High and Galena High are considered the best in high schools. For us, it has been hard to leave private school after starting Kindergarten there. Public school does not focus on learning to read until 1st grade- they just don't have time.
Reno is a wonderful place to live. You come to develop a sense of community here, especially as parents with young children. Soccer, swimming, skiing, Trader Joe's, etc. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 PM

142 posts, read 889,073 times
Hello, I am from Chicago as well....my advice...DON'T move here. First of all, there is NO PRESCHOOL here. What they call preschool is actually day care. The prices reflect this. The cheapest I could find for my 4 year old was $70 per WEEK for 2 half days. This is because it is actually day care where you can drop your child off as early as 6 am and the facitlity is open until 6 pm. The people here will swear it is preschool!!! I lived in Naperville, IL when my oldest was in preschool. I could not bring her in at 6am because they were not a DAYCARE and were not open. Traditional preschool (3 to 4 half days per week) is non existent here. We are moving back soon. This is a very lame, boring place with no culture whatsoever, and as the above poster stated--schools are rated the bottom in the country. I would NEVER recommend leaving Chicago for Reno. Chicago is better in every way (except for the weather).

Old 02-16-2008, 12:17 AM

64 posts, read 381,305 times
I grew up in Reno, but moved away in 1989. I lived in the north valleys area, and went to Hug all 4 years, we were zoned for Hug back then. It was known as the worst school, but I never had any problems, but I'm sure a lot has changed in the 22 years since I graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area