Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM

185 posts, read 174,123 times

Advertisements

Is Reno becoming very unaffordable ? I have heard the area is booming and home prices and rentals are becoming expensive . Because of its close proximity to Cali and relatively close to the Bay Area many people are flooding to the area , is this true in all respects ?

Can I find a place In a safe area for no more than 1100 a month or is the city too expensive at this point ? . Added bonus would a relatively short commute to the airport

I could use Any info that would be helpful as Reno seems to be the city I have my heArt set on besides just staying where I am . It has low humidity summer , still has seasons , still has winter beautiful mountains and forests and lakes , great food and bar scene and relatively low cost of living . Not cheap but not SoCal

Last edited by Upstateanddown; 05-30-2016 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 PM

340 posts, read 664,864 times
Yes, Reno is experiencing some growth and as a result the rental market has become a bit tighter. However, I wouldn't characterize it as a flood of new people - just a steady stream. How large of a place do you need for 1100 per month? For apartments, check out Lakeridge East and West, or Aspen Ridge. Those are in a very safe area of SW Reno, and only 15 minutes from the airport. (For the record, I have recommended these apartments in other threads but have no relationship or financial interest in them; I just suggest them because I'm more familiar with these than other apartment complexes in Reno.)

Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 PM

185 posts, read 174,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Yes, Reno is experiencing some growth and as a result the rental market has become a bit tighter. However, I wouldn't characterize it as a flood of new people - just a steady stream. How large of a place do you need for 1100 per month? For apartments, check out Lakeridge East and West, or Aspen Ridge. Those are in a very safe area of SW Reno, and only 15 minutes from the airport. (For the record, I have recommended these apartments in other threads but have no relationship or financial interest in them; I just suggest them because I'm more familiar with these than other apartment complexes in Reno.)
Thank you for your reply . For the record , Southern California , Austin , Seattle , Portland and Denver were all on my " fell in love list " but based on my research It is just not possible on my budget currently . Reno is high on my list above Phoenix and Las Vegas due to the summer temps being lower

I don't need a castle of an apartment , looking for one bedroom one bath , any utilities and appliances included the better . I would have a job lined up comming it's a lateral transfer but it would be me and my girlfriend Ina. Single income until she finds something . So anything 1100 or less would be perfect . My job would be at the airport so I wouldn't want to drive over a half hour to get to work . Where I live now in upstate New York I can clock out walk to my car and regardless of traffic I can be at my house in under 10-15 minutes .
( on a side note , on top of having a job lined up , I have no debt , decent credit and 25k in savings ) is Reno possible ?

Is Carson city an option in terms of cheaper rents and being the capital of the state ? Or is the commute bad

Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 AM

294 posts, read 337,303 times
It might be tight on your budget but still somehow doable.

There really isn't traffic here even with all the constructions going on, there are ways to get around.

1 bedroom, 1 bath below $1100 are in these complexes:
Marina Village Apartments - Sparks Nevada - Home
Green Leaf at the Marina - Sparks - NV
Our Properties | Kromer Investments
Our Properties | Kromer Investments
Apartments for Rent in Sparks, NV | Park Vista Apartments - Home

You can also search the NNRMLS for rentals: Listing Search Form - Search for Real Estate Properties

I always disclaim that I'm biased to the Sparks/Spanish Springs area because it still has the suburban feel and I personally prefer to be away from the chaos and crimes

Old 06-02-2016, 09:12 PM

102 posts, read 189,753 times
Yes, it's a flood of people. I have lived in apartments for the last two years. Every single new tenant I have seen (at my complex) in the last 4 months has CA plates. I have seen my rent explode for an old place. I am metered for water. Pay $30 a month for sewer (in an apartment), pay for trash. My power bill is obscene. I went to the dump yesterday... a small mattress and old wooden coffee table cost me $25 - more than half of that was enviro and gas fees.

Depends what you consider safe. I've had gas caps stolen in a gated complex. My daughters scooter, chained to a parking structure, stolen. Shootings/home invasions in the exclusive 'south of town'. School lock downs. Heavy thefts. I bar my door at night, I have dogs, and I sleep light and I live in south-ish Reno in an apartment. I walk sometimes to shops, but I'm nearly run over - if you drive all the time, you might be safer but I've noticed traffic on McCarran getting super bad in the last few months. I sit at light after light after light.

Low cost of living?....our gas is the highest out of every town and city in the state. They want to raise the sales tax to the highest in the state. Produce and grocery items cost more here, generally, than any other town/city in NV. Registering your car is more expensive than in any previous year in Reno. Renting is massively becoming unaffordable for a low wage city and right to work state.

Car repairs have bled me literally dry. I am shocked, stunned and angry. Garages here are extortionists.

The fact that any place in Reno is charging over $1000 for 1 bedroom rent is stupid. Totally stupid. Yes, we have mountains and wonders near by. Filled with people. If you don't mind traffic jams on the slopes and trails, you have found the right place.

Once I fulfill my duty of taking care of family because of health problems, I am DONE with Reno and Nevada. My son has received possibly the most foul, incompetent medical and mental health care possible in Reno. Hopefully you don't require any of that.

Let the hate mongering begin:__________________ (inert your name here). Hi, I'd like to totally market this city to you because I'm working for the corrupt city management and you will never know my true identity. - H.S.

I'm tired of people building up Reno. It's a matter of time before it sees another 2007 BUST. This town is NOT worth the rent landlords are charging. Period. It is a flood. And when it dries out - nothing but the hookers and thieves will be left.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:27 PM

23 posts, read 45,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchthinking View Post
Yes, it's a flood of people. I have lived in apartments for the last two years. Every single new tenant I have seen (at my complex) in the last 4 months has CA plates. I have seen my rent explode for an old place. I am metered for water. Pay $30 a month for sewer (in an apartment), pay for trash. My power bill is obscene. I went to the dump yesterday... a small mattress and old wooden coffee table cost me $25 - more than half of that was enviro and gas fees.

Depends what you consider safe. I've had gas caps stolen in a gated complex. My daughters scooter, chained to a parking structure, stolen. Shootings/home invasions in the exclusive 'south of town'. School lock downs. Heavy thefts. I bar my door at night, I have dogs, and I sleep light and I live in south-ish Reno in an apartment. I walk sometimes to shops, but I'm nearly run over - if you drive all the time, you might be safer but I've noticed traffic on McCarran getting super bad in the last few months. I sit at light after light after light.

Low cost of living?....our gas is the highest out of every town and city in the state. They want to raise the sales tax to the highest in the state. Produce and grocery items cost more here, generally, than any other town/city in NV. Registering your car is more expensive than in any previous year in Reno. Renting is massively becoming unaffordable for a low wage city and right to work state.

Car repairs have bled me literally dry. I am shocked, stunned and angry. Garages here are extortionists.

The fact that any place in Reno is charging over $1000 for 1 bedroom rent is stupid. Totally stupid. Yes, we have mountains and wonders near by. Filled with people. If you don't mind traffic jams on the slopes and trails, you have found the right place.

Once I fulfill my duty of taking care of family because of health problems, I am DONE with Reno and Nevada. My son has received possibly the most foul, incompetent medical and mental health care possible in Reno. Hopefully you don't require any of that.

Let the hate mongering begin:__________________ (inert your name here). Hi, I'd like to totally market this city to you because I'm working for the corrupt city management and you will never know my true identity. - H.S.

I'm tired of people building up Reno. It's a matter of time before it sees another 2007 BUST. This town is NOT worth the rent landlords are charging. Period. It is a flood. And when it dries out - nothing but the hookers and thieves will be left.
Move? And good luck finding Utopia?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 AM

932 posts, read 2,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchthinking View Post

I'm tired of people building up Reno.
And I'm tired of people coming to this site with the sole intention of trashing Reno. As hard as it might be for you to believe, some of us have had positive experiences and enjoy living here. I'm one of them.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you, and I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for somewhere else as soon as possible.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 AM

340 posts, read 664,864 times
I couldn't agree more with owelles and wrz0170.

OP, you might also want to check out Skyline Canyon apartments. I drove by those the other day and they looked nice from the outside, although I haven't been inside. They are located in a great residential neighborhood (and BTW near two of my favorite restaurants, La Vecchia and Hiroba Sushi).

Old 06-07-2016, 12:01 PM

294 posts, read 337,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
And I'm tired of people coming to this site with the sole intention of trashing Reno. As hard as it might be for you to believe, some of us have had positive experiences and enjoy living here. I'm one of them.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you, and I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for somewhere else as soon as possible.
I don't get those people who have taken it upon themselves to dissuade people from pursuing an area.
Our circumstances are all different and what might not work for them, can work for others.
It's like a reverse tourism ad

Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
I don't get those people who have taken it upon themselves to dissuade people from pursuing an area.
Our circumstances are all different and what might not work for them, can work for others.
It's like a reverse tourism ad
vs. a tourism ad from all the others? I think neither is good.

Indisputable facts and honest opinions should dominate. I've been thinking about a retirement move to Reno for awhile. So I've appreciated everyone's input, but I can separate the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited by wolfdog; 06-08-2016 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area