Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 09:09 PM

16 posts, read 19,940 times

Advertisements

I've lived in San Diego my entire life so I don't know anything about driving in snowy conditions. Do most people drive without tire chains during the winter, or do most people actually put chains on their wheels?

Do traffic accidents increase dramatically, or are people usually safer drivers during these conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 PM

152 posts, read 263,457 times
In Reno people do not put on chains. We just have mud and snow tires. Many people prefer AWD/4WD vehicles. Rear wheel drive is the most difficult.

Higher elevation roads are different. Chains may be required to travel west over the mountains (4 wheel drive vehicles are usually exempt). If chains are required to travel west, that is weather you don't want to travel in if you don't have to. This would be a concern if you plan to travel to California or Tahoe a lot in the winter.

Accidents do increase and when I travel to Carson City during heavy snow I often see abandoned vehicles on the side of the road.

In town you will want to drive much slower and allow extra time to travel during snowy weather.

Often when we get a lot of snow in Reno it melts in the afternoon.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:20 AM

843 posts, read 2,216,541 times
IMO people here drive pretty well during inclement weather (rain/snow/wind). Some people own a set of studded snow tires and run those during the winter, often lightweight pickups. I've rarely had to put my jeep into 4wd due to snow, and generally when I do it's mostly just because I can and not because I couldn't manage without.

The only vehicles you typically see with chains on around town seem to be postal.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:56 AM

294 posts, read 337,175 times
I just don't drive when it's bad outside. You might be able to control your car but that person next to you might not, even with an AWD or 4WD.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:29 PM

16 posts, read 19,940 times
Thanks for the input, I have a couple more questions. Does it snow heavily every year in Reno?

And let's say when it does snow to the point where it's not wise to drive, how long do these snow storms usually last?

Old 06-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan9000 View Post
Thanks for the input, I have a couple more questions. Does it snow heavily every year in Reno?

And let's say when it does snow to the point where it's not wise to drive, how long do these snow storms usually last?
Hard to tell, whether or not you believe in climate change the Reno or shall we say Northern Nevada weather has always been strange. Prior to this year's snow fall, the last major one was probably end of 2009, early 2010? (Checkout Throwdown with Bobby Flay Reno episode )

I don't own a 4x4 and my car only got stuck once and not on the road but in a parking lot that wasn't plowed. For the most part, as long as you don't live way out of plowing areas, you will be fine.

The snow storms don't really last very long and it could be snowing and the evening and clear the next day or vice versa...

Old 06-16-2016, 01:45 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
I just don't drive when it's bad outside. You might be able to control your car but that person next to you might not, even with an AWD or 4WD.
Sounds like California drivers. They drive faster when it rains then the CHP gets over 500 calls a day for service because of all the wrecks

Old 06-17-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Sounds like California drivers. They drive faster when it rains then the CHP gets over 500 calls a day for service because of all the wrecks
Could be. There are a lot of them moving over and thinking that trading up to a 4x4 is the solution

Old 06-17-2016, 02:23 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
Could be. There are a lot of them moving over and thinking that trading up to a 4x4 is the solution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: