Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:18 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times

Advertisements

I've read rants from people in Reno whose rent is $600 but it's going up because hightech companies are opening things in Reno. Is it because those companies have employees who hate paying high rents in California?

Perhaps the companies themselves hate paying high rents and taxes in California.

Is there a typical pattern of gentrification in Reno just like SF in the 1990 or certain parts of LA? More wealthier people move into poor neighboorhoods, poorer (often custodial people) people have to move out. More fancy frothy coffee things.

Isn't Reno often an alternative to SF or LA because of lower rents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,836 times
I Very recently moved to Reno and am paying more than $1,000 a month in rent. It is a pretty nice neighborhood though.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:43 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Buddy of mine recently moved to Reno to work in tech and buy properties pre-Tesla boom. He's convinced it's the next hot bed for flipping.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Buddy of mine recently moved to Reno to work in tech and buy properties pre-Tesla boom. He's convinced it's the next hot bed for flipping.
Interesting , what price points is he buying at.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:28 PM

I never really hear of Reno being an alternative to SF or LA more than anywhere else.
For sure if a lot of tech businesses move into an area and its sustainable it can change things
In LA it's said the tech companies have pushed prices up even higher in certain areas in the "Silicoln beach" area

Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want to try to flip homes in Reno unless they were on the lower end of the price range, like under 250k, housing prices are going up but wages aren't that doesn't bode well for continued increases unless for some reason all of a sudden employers start rushing in to start businesses there.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:20 AM

294 posts, read 337,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've read rants from people in Reno whose rent is $600 but it's going up because hightech companies are opening things in Reno. Is it because those companies have employees who hate paying high rents in California?

Perhaps the companies themselves hate paying high rents and taxes in California.

Is there a typical pattern of gentrification in Reno just like SF in the 1990 or certain parts of LA? More wealthier people move into poor neighboorhoods, poorer (often custodial people) people have to move out. More fancy frothy coffee things.

Isn't Reno often an alternative to SF or LA because of lower rents?
Probably because our state government is so willingly selling it's people out with all the tax breaks and incentives that you can't get elsewhere.

Just look it up, Nevada is one of the best states to incorporate a company in whether or not you are actually planning to operate here. If you do start a physical business here, there are plenty of accommodations for your business... not so much for the employees or the people who already live here.

Sure, the rents might be lower but so are the wages.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting , what price points is he buying at.
$150-175k/ea, then adding ~$15k in upgrades. Just two properties at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I never really hear of Reno being an alternative to SF or LA more than anywhere else.
For sure if a lot of tech businesses move into an area and its sustainable it can change things
In LA it's said the tech companies have pushed prices up even higher in certain areas in the "Silicoln beach" area
I wouldn't say Reno is all that attractive to Tech. From what I read, it's Tesla's new factory driving the flux in interest. They'll be using their Giga factory to house a lot more talent than just factory workers which will pull some $150-200k jobs from SF & LA, and you can just imagine how far that goes for Reno's COL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I wouldn't want to try to flip homes in Reno unless they were on the lower end of the price range, like under 250k, housing prices are going up but wages aren't that doesn't bode well for continued increases unless for some reason all of a sudden employers start rushing in to start businesses there.
He's early in his flipping game so his investments stay beneath $200k/property. He sees it as a 3yr rental and then cash out. I thought he was crazy for moving to Reno of all places, but the joke will be on me.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
$150-175k/ea, then adding ~$15k in upgrades. Just two properties at this point. I wouldn't say Reno is all that attractive to Tech. From what I read, it's Tesla's new factory driving the flux in interest. They'll be using their Giga factory to house a lot more talent than just factory workers which will pull some $150-200k jobs from SF & LA, and you can just imagine how far that goes for Reno's COL.
He's early in his flipping game so his investments stay beneath $200k/property. He sees it as a 3yr rental and then cash out. I thought he was crazy for moving to Reno of all places, but the joke will be on me.
Maybe your friend bought these properties in 2012 or 2013? There are no desirable properties to 'flip' in Reno for under 200k. Most are run down shacks that you can't get a loan on, or ugly half-plexes in North Valley. But you don't have to take my word for it: https://www.redfin.com/city/15627/NV...max-price=200k

As far as the 'giga factory' attracting 150-200K salaried tech sector employees from SF & LA, I am highly dubious about that, they make batteries there, they don't develop software or design cars. Here are the salaries that Tesla promised when they got the perks from the State for building the facility in Northern Nevada.

Full-time staffing for the gigafactory will comprise of:
  • 4,550 production associates paid $22.79 per hour
  • 200 material handlers paid $22.79 per hour
  • 460 equipment technicians paid $27.88 per hour
  • 360 quality technicians paid $27.88 per hour
  • 930 engineers and senior staff paid $41.83 per hour.

So, the highest paid employee, an engineer will make around $82,000 a year. That's good for Reno, but it is not proof that Reno is a flippers paradise that will attract tech sector employees making 6 figure salaries, that in my opinion is reckless claim.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM

Was reading a bit about Reno . Does sound interesting . Looks like midtown is the gentrifying area , it does look like an area that appeals to hipsters .. Which is usually good for price appreciation .

MidTown District Reno
Not sure if that's the area your friend is buying in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: