Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:27 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times

Advertisements

Not so sure about that. I have been keeping tabs on the $300-$500k range and good homes seem to be snapped up rather quickly. Was looking at some new homes in the foothills of Sparks and the cheapest model went from $330k to nearly $400k. Maybe some areas are hotter than others. Carson City and areas south are less hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
With two low 6 figure salaries you can rent an apartment anywhere in the world. Why not just live in all of those places and see which you like best? You don't mention children so it seems you can live anywhere you wish for as long or as short as you wish to.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:04 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Visit is fine but moving around is tiresome and costly.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:20 AM

294 posts, read 337,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Not so sure about that. I have been keeping tabs on the $300-$500k range and good homes seem to be snapped up rather quickly. Was looking at some new homes in the foothills of Sparks and the cheapest model went from $330k to nearly $400k. Maybe some areas are hotter than others. Carson City and areas south are less hot.
When I said $300K range houses, I meant the already existing one.

A friend and I were driving around one day and got in the conversation of if you had $300K+ to spend on a house, would you still buy a fixer upper or would you go for a new construction?

The Rialta homes are still in the mid to high 200Ks. Their original banner had "low 200s" on it and last we drove by, it was still up but the low part was covered with mid

The J Communities started in high 200Ks/low 300Ks then there's the Casa de Soleil ones at mid 200s but they are townhouse/condo style with $$$ HOAs

If you can get a hold of a copy of the Somersett magizine, they show the breakdown of houses sold and those houses are in the $300Ks but mostly sold for less than asking. Although it's worth noting that their starting price pre-housing craziness was in the high 100Ks/low 200Ks

Old 10-07-2016, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,667 times
The plus to this area is it's proximity to Tahoe and all the outdoor activities, and no income tax.
There is some pretty good dining. You can find those things in many places!

Negatives, Nevada schools are dead last.
Housing is expensive, especially in the areas where the "better" schools are.
I personally find it too cold here for my liking, and I dislike shoveling snow.
I found it hard to find good skilled labor in several areas where we needed help.
The Reno events sounded awesome when we moved here, but we quickly learned they are poorly planned and very crowded...in my opinion. We no longer attend any events!!

You should look elsewhere😉
We'll be moving away at some point..

Old 10-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlleSpace View Post

I found it hard to find good skilled labor in several areas where we needed help.
The Reno events sounded awesome when we moved here, but we quickly learned they are poorly planned and very crowded...in my opinion. We no longer attend any events!!

You should look elsewhere😉
We'll be moving away at some point..
Why on earth do you want to go to an event that is not crowded? It is oxymoron. The crowded events are the successful ones. Not sure what you mean by poorly planned, compared to what? If the event can handle hundreds of thousand visitors without incident, it is not poorly planned.

Good luck finding your dream location. Cheap house, cheap labor and warmth. May be Mexico.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,667 times
If you could live anywhere, living internationally could be a good option.
In places like Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, Spain, Portugal and even Italy the cost of living can be less than in the states and health insurance is a fraction of the cost. And free college tuition!!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlleSpace View Post
If you could live anywhere, living internationally could be a good option.
In places like Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, Spain, Portugal and even Italy the cost of living can be less than in the states and health insurance is a fraction of the cost. And free college tuition!!
I've lived overseas for quite some time. Grass isn't always greener.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLarue View Post
I've lived overseas for quite some time. Grass isn't always greener.
AGREED! Europe is as expensive or more expensive., although Portugal is quite affordable. Central and South America, you will have to deal with third-world problems.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Your list is a pretty tall order....

You want to save money to accelerate your retirement and, yet, you want to have kids. Pick one or the other because you ain't gonna get both! Sorry, but I'm just being REAL with you.

Flagstaff is expensive. Housing there is expensive and jobs there pay very little.

They don't call Flagstaff "poverty with a view" for no reason!

The same is true of Santa Fe, which is a boutique town.

Prescott is full of elderly people/retirees and people in drug/alcohol recovery centers. Just know that when you move there.

Have you looked into Verde Valley or Cottonwood? They are halfway between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

Tucson isn't bad either. I'd check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area