Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,217 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have lived in Verdi NV, technically we are reno, but in the Mountains close to Truckee. It is very windy and cold most of the time here with the exception of two months in the summer. Now I've only lived here through these past two winters and from Sacramento area. My question to you all is there less windy areas in NV, like Sparks or Carson. I love California weather but it's a little too expensive for us to live there anymore, as we are retired and on limited income. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Debi😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 11:38 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Nunnally View Post
Hi everyone. I have lived in Verdi NV, technically we are reno, but in the Mountains close to Truckee. It is very windy and cold most of the time here with the exception of two months in the summer. Now I've only lived here through these past two winters and from Sacramento area. My question to you all is there less windy areas in NV, like Sparks or Carson. I love California weather but it's a little too expensive for us to live there anymore, as we are retired and on limited income. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Debi😊
I lived in SW Reno for 14 years and it was really windy there too, but I did notice that when we would drive downtown it seemed less windy, as did Spanish Springs. My husband worked in North Valleys and a windstorm sanded all the paint off his BMW ugh.. It's is real windy driving through Washoe Valley out toward Carson City but I'm not sure how windy Carson City is.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:46 PM

152 posts, read 263,242 times
Hi Debra,

When I go to Somersett, which is by Verdi, it's very windy, even when there is little wind in town. So yes, there are less windy areas here!

Old 03-05-2017, 12:42 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Hidden valley is supposedly less wind due to the hills

Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
I feel it is less windy in Sparks/Spanish Springs, Central Reno around the 395 and Carson City going south. Slightly more wind in Double Diamond/Damonte Ranch. Not familiar with Hidden Valley. Washoe Valley, Fernley and Dayton going east are horrible.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Hidden valley is supposedly less wind due to the hills
I've heard that but I never lived there so I can't confirm it. I used to take my dogs to the dog park every few weeks and it might have just been coincidental but when I was there it was quite windy. My son lived downtown for a while (west of Wells) and it definitely seemed less windy than where we lived.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:07 AM

646 posts, read 1,156,224 times
We're up in Sparks, where there generally are either no, or very light, winds. Occasionally we get the high winds -- but it's not more than that.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:28 PM

18 posts, read 22,410 times
Seems like there is more all-kinds-of-weather in Washoe Valley.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:51 PM

275 posts, read 285,128 times
I live on the east coast but when I've looked at the local weather for Reno or Sparks, it never lists a "wind chill" in the winter. So it seems that even though it may be windy, it doesn't seem to affect the temperature. Do you feel that's an accurate statement?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMoveInFuture View Post
I live on the east coast but when I've looked at the local weather for Reno or Sparks, it never lists a "wind chill" in the winter. So it seems that even though it may be windy, it doesn't seem to affect the temperature. Do you feel that's an accurate statement?
It affected the temperature where I lived in SW Reno, particularly when there was snow on the ground, the wind would catch the snow and it felt like you were being stabbed by thousands of tiny icicles lol. To be fair, we lived about 600' above town so both the snowfall and the wind were much worse than one would expect in most other areas in the Reno area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area