Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM

224 posts, read 527,656 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm 32 (male) and I have been offered a position at Tesla Gigafactory (I'm an experienced engineer, very excited). I had a few reservations about taking this position, can anyone help me out? I'm currently in Houston. Some big questions I have regarding this move:

1. Is Reno/Sparks area a good place to live - especially for a single guy? What is single life like? Is it easy to meet other singles?
2. How does cost of living compare to Houston, Texas?
3. What is the work culture like at Tesla Gigafactory?
4. How is the work life balance? // Currently I have a 9 - 5 job, with occasional overtime
5. I heard working at Tesla a burnout job (do most people are to quit after 1 or 2 years)? // Not sure I want to uproot my life to be burned out after 2 years
6. Do people enjoy working for Tesla?

I have heard many conflicting reports on working for this company, so I'd like to set some of them straight. I love to golf and run, and I want to make sure I have time to work on hobbies and exercise away from the office. I like to work hard and play hard, and many companies offer a work-life balance to ensure they attract and retain the best employees. Since I am an experienced engineer, I am past the point in my career where I feel like I have to work 60+ hrs a week. I'm a little bit older, and wiser - and I see that there are many things to acheive in life outside of work. Nevada has great outdoors life and activities that I love like hiking, golf, biking, etc that you just don't get in Houston (oh yeah, no humidity!!!).

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,965 times
I don't work for Tesla so I cant comment on that aspect. I used to live in Dallas.

1. Is Reno/Sparks area a good place to live - especially for a single guy? What is single life like? Is it easy to meet other singles?
Most of the time, you will make friend in your work circle. If you have interest in outdoor or winter sports, you will also meet tons of young people with like-minded to make friends. There seems to be more young people moved here lately and the vibe seems to be more hipsters than the past The metro is much smaller than Houston so you wont have all the amenities of Houston.

2. How does cost of living compare to Houston, Texas? On par with the popular areas of DFW like North Dallas, Plano or Frisco. Cheaper than Uptown. The metro is smaller so you have less choice.

I love the weather here much more than Dallas. Great for outdoor activity. Tons of golf course, lots of good hiking and biking trails.

You will get great access to Northern California for weekend trips as well.

The cons is driving to Tesla factory is about 30 minutes, smaller airport, smaller metro so less shopping choice ( no Ikea or Crate and Barrel, we do have West elm here).

Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
> The cons is driving to Tesla factory is about 30 minutes
LOL - a 30 min commute is a dream!

Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
LOL - a 30 min commute is a dream!
Yeah, people in Reno commute a lot shorter. So 30 minutes are too long for us;-)

Look at Google maps right now. Downtown Reno to Tesla Factory is 26 minutes.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Yeah, people in Reno commute a lot shorter. So 30 minutes are too long for us;-)

Look at Google maps right now. Downtown Reno to Tesla Factory is 26 minutes.
In Houston, 45 min - 1 hr is normal. Gives me time to listen to podcasts, but makes me a little crazy...and cranky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area