U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 5,908 times

Advertisements

Hi we are retiring to the Reno/Spakes area soon. We are thinking about buying new construction in one of the communites. Are there any builders with terrible and/or great reputations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 03:59 PM

889 posts, read 1,925,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisQQQ View Post
Hi we are retiring to the Reno/Spakes area soon. We are thinking about buying new construction in one of the communites. Are there any builders with terrible and/or great reputations?
We bought a Toll Brothers home in south Reno last year and are very happy with it. Our Realtor, who knows the Reno market well, cautioned us against buying a DR Horton home, but I have no firsthand knowledge of that company's pluses and minuses.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:03 PM

75 posts, read 102,315 times
Most builders in Reno are out for massive profit and slap up ringers all over the place. I would never buy new in Reno unless you can build custom and oversee everything from drywall to plumbing. They are using crap/imported products these days. Don't buy anything with pex plumbing - which was used a lot since 2000. Huge lawsuit.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 196,171 times
Be weary of homes built during the Boom. 2003-2008. I've seen some shoddy construction. You may want to get it inspected by a third party. A little bit of research will go a long way.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,310 times
Default Realtor referral

Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
We bought a Toll Brothers home in south Reno last year and are very happy with it. Our Realtor, who knows the Reno market well, cautioned us against buying a DR Horton home, but I have no firsthand knowledge of that company's pluses and minuses.
Hi there. We are looking at new construction as well. Could I get the name of your realtor?

Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 AM

889 posts, read 1,925,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin12 View Post
Hi there. We are looking at new construction as well. Could I get the name of your realtor?
I sent you a direct message with the information.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 PM

981 posts, read 1,345,213 times
I wouldn't be as concerned about the builder but instead where the houses are built. Most of the remaining open land is in major flood plains. There are whole areas on slabs in south Reno that have cracked slabs because the water table is so high. Look at the open spaces and see if there are huge flood mitigation swales. Hmmmm.... I live between Reno and Carson and have seen the Double Diamond area, former cattle pasture, with cattle up to their knees in runoff. Yikes! and now there are thousands of homes. There are plenty of homes in the Hidden Valley area (and another 5000 in the planning stage, I think they call it Butler Ranch) that contains a lot of flood plain property, not to mention mercury in the ground water from old mining activity.

I haven't heard much about the builders in the 35 years we've been here. But there are some sloppy building codes around here. And whether you have kids in school or not there are going to be property tax issues eventually because there is nowhere else to stuff the kids from all of the new homes being built. Oh, and think about roads in the area you choose. Some areas are better than others. South Reno is a bit overloaded now. It seems to be the hot area to build/buy so lots of strip shopping, the DMV is building down here, building going up the sides of foothills because that's all that's left. Coming south into town from the north valleys is a chore due to volume. And they are planning 4000 more homes out there.

I think that most housing, new or used, is way overpriced right now at the top of the bubble. I might think about renting or delaying for a year or so and see if things change. The house next door was bought at the top of the last bubble ($297k), sank to about half its value up until 2 years ago, and now just sold for $375k. Crazy, nothing special, cookie cutter 3/2, 1400 sq feet.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,310 times
That is a hearty helping of food for thought...

Old 01-30-2018, 06:02 PM

240 posts, read 719,972 times
Prices are high and builders build cheap. Plastics plumbing pipes with push on connectors, wait until you have to fix something. Bare minimum on the wiring, if you are big into electronics you might check to see if they put in 20amp outlets and circuit breakers in the game room. Got a 4x4 pickup? Measure height, width and depth of the garage. Many HOAs say no vehicles to be parked outside. The HOAs are a pain but all the big developments have them. Do you really need a community pool, tennis courts and landscaped entries? Some of the older developments got rid of their HOAs. The only good thing about a new home is you got ten years to sue the builder for defects.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:10 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,614,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
Prices are high and builders build cheap. Plastics plumbing pipes with push on connectors, wait until you have to fix something. Bare minimum on the wiring, if you are big into electronics you might check to see if they put in 20amp outlets and circuit breakers in the game room. Got a 4x4 pickup? Measure height, width and depth of the garage. Many HOAs say no vehicles to be parked outside. The HOAs are a pain but all the big developments have them. Do you really need a community pool, tennis courts and landscaped entries? Some of the older developments got rid of their HOAs. The only good thing about a new home is you got ten years to sue the builder for defects.
The " plastic tubing " is pex pipe? That is the standard nowaday. Better than copper pipe, less chance for burst during weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or