U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM

2,537 posts, read 1,617,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
I worked in a media center for over 20 years, and if you think 99% of broadcast & print "news" it isn't fake, have fun with being programmed by the like of the Assoicted Proglodyte (AP) Newswire, CNN, and its ilk...

Oh, and people keep responding to my posts

Never defended the Victor Valley, was just a short term location for us.

At least it's not full of homeless tweakers, strippers and other corrupt situations.
Sure! Since Trump's tweet is very informative, I'll take my chances with professional journalists.
I guess this is also fake news:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.871cbf3f3e69
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 03:34 PM

"In Reno, Nev., Homegrown Startups Fuel Tech Transformation"

In Reno, Nev., Homegrown Startups Fuel Tech Transformation : NPR

Old 07-05-2017, 03:46 PM

1,483 posts, read 947,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
I worked in a NYC press room for over 20 years, and if you think 99% of broadcast & print "news" isn't fake, have fun with being programmed by the like of the Associated Proglodyte (AP) Newswire, Communist News Network (CNN) and their ilk...

Oh, and people keep responding to my posts

Never defended the Victor Valley, was just a short term location for us.

At least it's not full of homeless tweakers, strippers and other corrupt situations.
I'm happy to let everyone read these threads and decide whom to believe.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:34 AM

22 posts, read 33,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Your grammar and vocabulary are equally poor.
it was a quick reply get a life sunshine .......

Old 07-08-2017, 09:37 AM

1,318 posts, read 854,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend98 View Post
it was a quick reply get a life sunshine .......
Diagram that sentence.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:05 AM

75 posts, read 102,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
You seem to have some keen insight so maybe you can answer a few questions:
How many billions in taxes has Tesla avoided? 2 billion? 5 billion? 10 billion? How has Tesla avoided paying their taxes? Do they just refuse to pay?
What kind of high tech jobs do these people have that can barely afford to live in Reno? Electrical Engineers? Software Engineers? Cable TV installers?
Has this been your experience working at a high tech company?
What protections and laws does Nevada lack that allows them to exploit workers?
It's estimated they have avoided paying $1.25 billion in taxes in exchange for hiring locals. Multiple news agencies and lawmakers now report that Tesla hasn't met that expectation.

Two years ago my two bedroom 38 year old apartment rented for $1400. It's now going for $1870. I lived next to a woman who worked in IT and couldn't afford her $1300 unit.

I have worked for Intel, Apple, Sun Microsystems and Macromedia. My experience is vast. I've seen tech ruin local economies for low to middle income.

Nevada is a right to work state. We do not pay homage to labor unions and therefore wages for many remain much lower than the national average. If you boss wants to fire you for looking to fat - you have no recourse except to hire a corrupt attorney and try and take it to court.

Amazon warehouse. $11/hr. 8 hrs a day on your feet on concrete. You are not able to touch that concrete with you knees if you have to bend down. You get 30 mins for lunch but by the time you walk to the lunch area, your time is up.

I can continue if you'd like -?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:14 AM

75 posts, read 102,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Freeloading Tesla? State falling down the drain? Sorry, but Nevada's financial health is doing fine according to a 2016 George Mason U. study.

Exploit workers? Tech people moving here that can't afford it? It's all political and not based on skills or work performance? Funny that it seems smart people in tech are willing to move here in that case.

Fourteen counties losing health insurance options? Guess what -- that's Obamacare working for you.

You mentioned in other posts that you'd like to move away -- well I hope that you find your heaven on earth and escape the dreary conditions you describe. You might consider Detroit, Chicago, or even Venezuela.
Yes the Medicaid expansion failed here. But those 14 counties....Medicaid was the only lifeline. Have you ever lived in a rural NV county? Because I have. No hospital. No clinic. No doctors. When you suffer a fall and get a subdural hemotoma and have to be driven and hour to the nearest ER and then get a $6,000 bill in the mail - when you only make $35,000 and support a special needs child without any welfare or disability benefits - try that on for size.

There is no heaven. But some states are screwing over citizens. Next year the city of Reno won't have any budget surplus because mayor Hillary Schieve spent it all on frivolous things. We have out of control rents and low wages. 38% increase in healthcare premiums - HPN 27% to Anthem over 60% (KRNV). Washoe county now has the highest sales tax in the state. As I said before my neighbor who was vastly over qualified for her IT job moved here from MN and couldn't afford to stay.

We are still a heavy tourist driven economy and the people filling those jobs are low paid and live in high crime areas.

Venezuela at least believes in preventative medical care and vaccinations unlike the crazy people around this town. Last year we had break outs of Whooping Cough and Measles. Two things preventable and 3rd world nations are doing a better job at combating this than Nevada is.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Another rant. Another rant. Tell me your solutions.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 947,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchthinking View Post
Yes the Medicaid expansion failed here. But those 14 counties....Medicaid was the only lifeline. Have you ever lived in a rural NV county? Because I have. No hospital. No clinic. No doctors. When you suffer a fall and get a subdural hemotoma and have to be driven and hour to the nearest ER and then get a $6,000 bill in the mail - when you only make $35,000 and support a special needs child without any welfare or disability benefits - try that on for size.

There is no heaven. But some states are screwing over citizens. Next year the city of Reno won't have any budget surplus because mayor Hillary Schieve spent it all on frivolous things. We have out of control rents and low wages. 38% increase in healthcare premiums - HPN 27% to Anthem over 60% (KRNV). Washoe county now has the highest sales tax in the state. As I said before my neighbor who was vastly over qualified for her IT job moved here from MN and couldn't afford to stay.

We are still a heavy tourist driven economy and the people filling those jobs are low paid and live in high crime areas.

Venezuela at least believes in preventative medical care and vaccinations unlike the crazy people around this town. Last year we had break outs of Whooping Cough and Measles. Two things preventable and 3rd world nations are doing a better job at combating this than Nevada is.
You've lost all credibility if you compare any American city to Venezuela. If you think it's so great you should live there a while come back and tell us how much healthier you are.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,164,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchthinking View Post
It's estimated they have avoided paying $1.25 billion in taxes in exchange for hiring locals. Multiple news agencies and lawmakers now report that Tesla hasn't met that expectation.

Two years ago my two bedroom 38 year old apartment rented for $1400. It's now going for $1870. I lived next to a woman who worked in IT and couldn't afford her $1300 unit.

I have worked for Intel, Apple, Sun Microsystems and Macromedia. My experience is vast. I've seen tech ruin local economies for low to middle income.

Nevada is a right to work state. We do not pay homage to labor unions and therefore wages for many remain much lower than the national average. If you boss wants to fire you for looking to fat - you have no recourse except to hire a corrupt attorney and try and take it to court.

Amazon warehouse. $11/hr. 8 hrs a day on your feet on concrete. You are not able to touch that concrete with you knees if you have to bend down. You get 30 mins for lunch but by the time you walk to the lunch area, your time is up.

I can continue if you'd like -?
Tesla was offered tax incentives to locate their battery manufacturing to Reno. Tesla is audited on a quarterly basis and the amount of tax incentives they receive are directly tied to the number of people they hire per quarter and the amount of local investment they make.

https://electrek.co/2016/12/06/tesla...it-job-nevada/

In other words, Tesla only receives the tax incentives if they meet specific job creation and investment milestones - all of which were negotiated in advance of Tesla and Nevada reaching an agreement. States offering tax incentives to spur job creation seems to be an unfamiliar concept to you.

Intel's new tax deal is a whopper: $100 billion investment, 30 years | OregonLive.com
20 year after opening plant in South Carolina, BMW exceeding employment, production goals - The Blade
S.C. offered more than $200 million to win Volvo | The State
Bills link Boeing tax breaks to size of its workforce in Washington | The Seattle Times
AP: States Issued $1.5B in Data Center Tax Breaks over Past Decade | Data Center Knowledge

The majority of states in the union are right to work states. If you feel you are being treated unfairly or are under compensated, you are free to take your vast experience to another company that values your skills more highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area