U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:32 PM

453 posts, read 733,387 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We are a married early 30s couple with a baby on the way that currently live in Portland! We absolutely love it here (can read my review of Portland in my prior thread). We very much enjoy the natural amenities, somewhat big city feel, great efficient airport (we like to travel), and overall granola, crunchy progressive vibe.
We love the greenery that we have access to in Portland with all the hiking, etc.
We work about 5 miles away from home, and and either bike or walk. We absolutely love our minimal commuting.
We are not huge into the bar scene. We like good food, but are happy to step out of the Portland foodie scene that we have been spoiled with.
We like to eat healthy and avoid fast food, but not vegan or on any extreme end of the spectrum. We enjoy sports, yoga, and the outdoors as above.

But like everyone else, the COL has become kinda ridiculous in terms of rents/housing prices. Even with our ~ 200K salary, we have a very hard time finding a house that we could afford (we are financially very conservative).
I could make close to 300K in Reno and could avoid the OR taxes that come with.
We have been thinking more about finances as we have our first kid on the way.

Would we be a good fit?
We know it would come with sacrificing some of the above. By reading this thread, we are fairly convinced that we would likely have to have 2 cars (one car now) to be able to commute to work in Reno.
Though this will be likely, we still feel as though we could likely save money with the extra salary and lower taxes. We could visit Portland if we missed it with the extra $$ we are making.

Happy to answer more questions.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,641,749 times
You should be able to live very well here with 300k income. 100k bump in income is a big deal. Further more, you also save nearly 30k of Oregon tax.

Your commute by car should be better or similar. There isnt much traffic. The city is very compacted. The entire South Reno area is about 5 miles.

Depend on how much you want to spent on houses, you can choose to live in the best neighborhoods of SouthWest Reno. You can also buy lots and build your own house if you choose to. My top choice would be Arrowcreek, Caughlin Ranch or Montrêux. If you don't want to be in a HOA, plenty of houses on the Southwest hills or estates. The nice thing about Reno is you should be able to get great views here, either of Mt Rose, Downtown/valley from high up, etc.. I love Portland and was considered living there before. The only areas in Portland that you can get similar views is the West hills.

All the stores you expected to find, you'll find them here. The only store missing is IKEA. The city feels much bigger than the population suggests.

I travel abroad extensively and I am OK with Reno airport. This was my biggest concern before I moved here. Unless you live near the big 10 (JFK, LAX, DFW, ORD, SFO, DEN, IAH, IAD, SEA, ATL), you probably will still do some connections at other airports anyway because of cost and availability. You can connect internationally from Reno via DFW and LAX for AA, SFO for United, SEA and JFK for Emirates, tons of other Asian Airlines via LAX and SFO. The airport is not busy at all. You can come to the airport only 1 hr before flight.

The outdoor activities is amazinglying accessible here right in the valley and at the adjacent lake Tahoe.

Check out the PICTURE Thread for the feel of different neighborhoods

Caughlin Ranch

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47867260-post58.html

Arrowcreek

http://www.city-data.com/forum/48059942-post70.html

Damonte Ranch
http://www.city-data.com/forum/48113172-post74.html

Somersett

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47788128-post51.html

and many more.....

Last edited by Nn2036; 07-02-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 PM

31,084 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
You should be able to live very well here with 300k income. 100k bump in income is a big deal. Further more, you also save nearly 30k of Oregon tax.

Your commute by car should be better or similar. There isnt much traffic. The city is very compacted. The entire South Reno area is about 5 miles.

Depend on how much you want to spent on houses, you can choose to live in the best neighborhoods of SouthWest Reno. You can also buy lots and build your own house if you choose to. My top choice would be Arrowcreek, Caughlin Ranch or Montrêux. If you don't want to be in a HOA, plenty of houses on the Southwest hills or estates. The nice thing about Reno is you should be able to get great views here, either of Mt Rose, Downtown/valley from high up, etc.. I love Portland and was considered living there before. The only areas in Portland that you can get similar views is the West hills.

All the stores you expected to find, you'll find them here. The only store missing is IKEA. The city feels much bigger than the population suggests.

I travel abroad extensively and I am OK with Reno airport. This was my biggest concern before I moved here. Unless you live near the big 10 (JFK, LAX, DFW, ORD, SFO, DEN, IAH, IAD, SEA, ATL), you probably will still do some connections at other airports anyway because of cost and availability. You can connect internationally from Reno via DFW and LAX for AA, SFO for United, SEA and JFK for Emirates, tons of other Asian Airlines via LAX and SFO. The airport is not busy at all. You can come to the airport only 1 hr before flight.

The outdoor activities is amazinglying accessible here right in the valley and at the adjacent lake Tahoe.

Caughlin Ranch

Arrowcreek

Damonte Ranch

Somersett

and many more.....
Don't move to Caughlin Ranch unless you like busy body neighbors and HOA police who drive up and down the streets making sure you put your garbage can away within an hour of pickup.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:24 AM

72 posts, read 51,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Hello all!

We are a married early 30s couple with a baby on the way that currently live in Portland! We absolutely love it here (can read my review of Portland in my prior thread). We very much enjoy the natural amenities, somewhat big city feel, great efficient airport (we like to travel), and overall granola, crunchy progressive vibe.
We love the greenery that we have access to in Portland with all the hiking, etc.
We work about 5 miles away from home, and and either bike or walk. We absolutely love our minimal commuting.
We are not huge into the bar scene. We like good food, but are happy to step out of the Portland foodie scene that we have been spoiled with.
We like to eat healthy and avoid fast food, but not vegan or on any extreme end of the spectrum. We enjoy sports, yoga, and the outdoors as above.

But like everyone else, the COL has become kinda ridiculous in terms of rents/housing prices. Even with our ~ 200K salary, we have a very hard time finding a house that we could afford (we are financially very conservative).
I could make close to 300K in Reno and could avoid the OR taxes that come with.
We have been thinking more about finances as we have our first kid on the way.

Would we be a good fit?
We know it would come with sacrificing some of the above. By reading this thread, we are fairly convinced that we would likely have to have 2 cars (one car now) to be able to commute to work in Reno.
Though this will be likely, we still feel as though we could likely save money with the extra salary and lower taxes. We could visit Portland if we missed it with the extra $$ we are making.

Happy to answer more questions.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Not sure how expensive Portland could possibly but making $200k anywhere outside of NYC/LA/SAN FRAN can EASILY find you a great home even for the most conservative person. If you make $200k a year, your take home pay after taxes in Reno (still at 200k) is $11,850 a month. You can rent a nice 3-4 bedroom house in the South for $2000-2500 per month. Even if you were to build, you can build a home for under 500k, and mortgage on that property would be under 3,000 a month. That still leaves over $8,000 a month for all other costs. Even if you lease 2 decent vehicles that would be about $800 a month in total for both. That still leaves $7,200 a month for utilities/food/retirement savings/entertainment/clothes etc.

At $300k a year.....

Old 07-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post

Caughlin Ranch

Arrowcreek

Damonte Ranch

Somersett

and many more.....

Awesome response! Great source of information!
Thank you for all the picture threads also!

We have decided that the airport won't be such a big deal. You have allayed our fears quite a bit. We will just have to add a day to our vacation to make up for the day in connecting flights. And we will likely end up paying more for tickets also.

Anything you can offer in terms of making up for the lushness of the PNW? The pics are great, and we have lived in Southern Arizona before...but not as lush as perhaps we would like it to be. Not complaining at all! Just doing our research before considering a move.
Any water sources?
Would Tahoe be our best bet in terms of wanting some cooler weather?

Of course we will be interviewing and checking out the area before making definitive plans of course.

Thank you again for giving us some great info!

Old 07-03-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigu View Post
Not sure how expensive Portland could possibly but making $200k anywhere outside of NYC/LA/SAN FRAN can EASILY find you a great home even for the most conservative person. If you make $200k a year, your take home pay after taxes in Reno (still at 200k) is $11,850 a month. You can rent a nice 3-4 bedroom house in the South for $2000-2500 per month. Even if you were to build, you can build a home for under 500k, and mortgage on that property would be under 3,000 a month. That still leaves over $8,000 a month for all other costs. Even if you lease 2 decent vehicles that would be about $800 a month in total for both. That still leaves $7,200 a month for utilities/food/retirement savings/entertainment/clothes etc.

At $300k a year.....
Chigu!
Thank you for the response!

Agreed, but we are a bit restricted by the high COL and some student loans (should be payed off soon).

Please hold off on judging my crude math here:

200K minus ~ 33% tax (average ~28% overall federal tax rate + ~ 9% overall state tax) leaves us with about 130K post tax. We would like to contribute our max of about 38.5K to retirement which will leave us at about 8K/month.

Average monthly rent for a nice 2 bdrm in Portland is about $2500K+/month.
We admit to being picky, but it is difficult to find a nice 3 bdrm house in a reasonable neighborhood for less than 600K.
We pay $2800/month.
Leaving us with about 5K/month left.

Very very doable! I agree!
We are currently paying some educational debt off and should be done in the next few months if we pay aggressively. Hence not being able to save at the moment.

This is why we think our financial flexibility will increase quite a bit if we decide to move to Reno.
We would avoid the state income tax!
Also, housing is much cheaper!
And we could actually start saving some money! Trying to be ahead of the "millennial curve". Or am I xennial? (just trying to push some buttons on CD forums with these controversial generalizations )

Old 07-03-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Anything you can offer in terms of making up for the lushness of the PNW? The pics are great, and we have lived in Southern Arizona before...but not as lush as perhaps we would like it to be. Not complaining at all! Just doing our research before considering a move.
Galena Forest It's south of Reno & it's just gorgeous

https://www.google.com/search?q=gale...iw=853&bih=400

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...Forest-Estates

Excellent schools too:

https://www.greatschools.org/nevada/...entary-School/

https://www.greatschools.org/nevada/...a-High-School/

Old 07-03-2017, 04:08 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,641,749 times
Quote:
Awesome response! Great source of information!
Thank you for all the picture threads also!

We have decided that the airport won't be such a big deal. You have allayed our fears quite a bit. We will just have to add a day to our vacation to make up for the day in connecting flights. And we will likely end up paying more for tickets also.

Any water sources?

Of course we will be interviewing and checking out the area before making definitive plans of course.

Thank you again for giving us some great info!
With connections, I don't find the ticket prices much different. Yes, some are more expensive but that is when comparing to LAX, SFO. I found prices can be similar SEA, DFW and DEN. Not sure about PDX.

As I said on the other thread, you can do trip to San Francisco and fly nonstop from SFO. Or use SMF for Hawaii trip.

Tahoe is always 10-15 degree cooler. If the high for the day is less than 95 in Reno, you won't feel too hot at all. The high usually reaches for 2 hr only then the temperature starts to cool down.

Reno is greener than Tucson but won't be as green as Portland. If you want very green and lush neighborhoods, your best bet is the old Southwest. They have old leafy trees like you find in East Portland (like Irvington but slightly less green)
These are pics from that neighborhood:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/48203375-post78.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/48213092-post79.html

Galena and Montrêux in South Reno is green too but different since the trees will be pine. Caughlin Ranch is relatively lush too.

Water in Reno comes from Sierra Nevada snow so it is very clean but ice-cold, even in summer.

You can make your own yard as lush as you want but you will need to water them more.
Reno is USDA zone 7 and Portland is USDA zone 8 so there are plants that you can't grow here but there are only few zone 8 plants that I like anyway. Most of what I want is zone 9

Marginal plants can tolerate zone 7 lows in Reno better than the East coast due to dryer air and hotter day temp.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:07 PM

340 posts, read 488,661 times
Quote:
Yes, Tahoe is consistently cooler than Reno, but you could also consider some of the communities along Mt. Rose highway on the way to Tahoe. You could be nestled up against the mountain range at higher elevations near the city limits and experience a bit cooler weather than Reno, while still keeping easy proximity to Reno and having somewhat warmer temps than what you would find in Tahoe.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Yes, Tahoe is consistently cooler than Reno, but you could also consider some of the communities along Mt. Rose highway on the way to Tahoe. You could be nestled up against the mountain range at higher elevations near the city limits and experience a bit cooler weather than Reno, while still keeping easy proximity to Reno and having somewhat warmer temps than what you would find in Tahoe.
I would add that if they are considering Tahoe they might find Incline more to their liking than South Shore, my cousin lives in South Shore and talks about how trashy it is and complains about all the drug addicts and homeless people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or