U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 03:07 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,610,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchthinking View Post
I went off current data for population. I don't think there is a clear and accurate estimate of population but 500,000 metro and outer limits is probably correct.

I'm actually off Robb. From my residence to TJ's is about 30 mins any time of day and longer during commute times. We've actually used our phone timers to time it and also used Google maps/directions and it has hit spot on between 28 - 35 mins every single time. MaeAnn is a hop skip from Robb so that's where I'm starting.

No Level I and II are not the same. My father worked at a major hospital in the Bay Area for 30 years. I know what a Level I and II can do and treat. And no hospital in Reno can deal with a major burn victim or massive TBI.

Then you should check local sources immediately for rents. Sharlands is starting a small 2 bed at $1375. Aspen Ridge is doing a 2/1 for $1510. Place I'm in is $1675 for a 2/2. North Valleys and Midtown will be cheaper and older. Rosewood Park - old, approves everyone, no deposits in some cases - no washer dryer - ancient appliances - ridden with bedbugs - a small 2/1 is over $1100. Two years ago same unit was $800.

How long have you lived in a tourist town? I wouldn't call Burning Man trash piling high at Walmart as a unique amenity. I know several people who are waitresses, cooks who are worked to death with rude customers and store owners who actually lose money this time of year.

I see that statement a lot - "if you don't like it here, leave" and it's pretty sad. Homeless can't up and leave. Old people being forced out of their low income downtown apartment because the devleoper wants to put up luxury condos - can't leave. The sheer numbers of people cleaning toilets, serving food, caregiving, even nurses, can't up and leave. They have connections and families here. Plus it is very expensive to up and do a big move. Last time I spent $9,000 moving out of state.

Have you lived in the Dakotas? Tahoe? Montana? East Coast. THOSE people know how to drive on ice and snow. Trust me - people in Reno with fancy expensive cars DO NOT. And the sheer numbers of accidents when there is a snowflake on the road during winter - prove that. Every other state I've lived in - my insurance premiums have been HALF of what they are in Reno. HALF. The state is under a campaign to try and stop pedestrian deaths. Last year - Washoe County had the highest pedestrian deaths on record. The city has said "central city streets are dangerous for walkers". That stuff can be easily looked up with any search engine. How do pedestrians die? From cars plowing into them - winter and summer.

I have watched cars slide back down driveways. Sideways down apartment complex roads. Slam into other cars because they thought they could slam on the brakes in time with ice on the road. I have never seen so much deicer put down ahead of a storm or so much sand/salt mix put down after a storm in my entire life. I had one garage tell me to go to a car wash after every single storm to wash the under carriage of my car. I had rusted out differentials and U bolts replaced which were not that old.

You are entitled to your opinions but I am in an active search for my daughter to find a decent - not upscale apartment right now. I know what rents are. I have been coming to reno for 30 years and have lived here for 10. I'm not posting false information. I'm scared the direction this town is taking.
I don't think scaring people not to move to Reno would solve problem. A lot of people think that way. If the area is stagnant and population is decreasing, you may not be able to find jobs or have good jobs at all.

Housing are more expensive all over the country. There is no escape from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 AM

878 posts, read 465,299 times
Reno is just experiencing the same issues with growth that other western cities have. Of course long term residents are not going to like the changes of more congestion everywhere and climbing rents.

Being a smaller metro area, Reno and Sparks are more susceptible to a downturn in the economy. Desert towns have a habit of being very boom or bust.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:38 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,610,076 times
I would think people prefer growth than depression and unemployment. Growth is not easy to get for smaller metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area