U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 PM

9 posts, read 20,359 times

Advertisements

I live 80 miles north of Reno. We go to Reno a few times a month for shopping, so I know the town pretty well.

There are a lot of nice, newer housing developments, plenty of shopping, and a lot of good local restaurants. The people are neither stuck-up, nor friendly. They just mind thier own business. The population doesn't seem very interested in being hip or portraying any sort of image, which depending on your own needs and wants, could be either a good or a bad thing. The recession has hit Reno hard and a lot of businesses, big and small, have shut down, so there are a lot of vacant buildings. The job market is awful. I wouldn't recommend anyone move there without a job offer in hand, because I know of many people there who have been unemployed for months and despite having great resumes can't even get interviews despite applying to hundreds of jobs per month.

The winters are cold and snowy and the summers are hot, dry, and windy. There aren't any mosquito problems or anything, and because it's so dry, it's easier to tolerate the extreme temperatures.

If there was work, I would happily live in Reno. It is big enough to have a good choice of things to do but it's not big enough to have a "big city attitude," which is not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:13 PM

16 posts, read 22,873 times
I'm glad to read a thread that is generally positive. We are also thinking about a move to Reno. We are originally from the Bay Area but have spent the past 16 years in Ohio. However with this latest round of tornadoes we've decided we'd like to move somewhere with no tornadoes. Really don't want to move back to California, but want to move close enough to our relatives who still live there.

I used to live in Fairfield CA and half the year we had terrible winds. I used to live at the end of a street where the street curved to the right, and everyone's trash can would blow down the street and collect against my little railed fence that I had between myself and the neighbor. So there is wind in many places besides Reno.

Glad to hear that there ARE decent schools in Reno as we have an 11 year old and a 16 year old. Might send younger one to Catholic school if we can move close enough to one.

Are move of the newer developments fairly safe? I see on realtor.com lots of newer properties that are available and just wonder about that.

DH can transfer to his company's Reno warehouse which is north of the city near the north airport (can't think of it's name) so employment is not a problem.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM

197 posts, read 446,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunchesofun View Post
I'm glad to read a thread that is generally positive. We are also thinking about a move to Reno. We are originally from the Bay Area but have spent the past 16 years in Ohio. However with this latest round of tornadoes we've decided we'd like to move somewhere with no tornadoes. Really don't want to move back to California, but want to move close enough to our relatives who still live there.

I used to live in Fairfield CA and half the year we had terrible winds. I used to live at the end of a street where the street curved to the right, and everyone's trash can would blow down the street and collect against my little railed fence that I had between myself and the neighbor. So there is wind in many places besides Reno.

Glad to hear that there ARE decent schools in Reno as we have an 11 year old and a 16 year old. Might send younger one to Catholic school if we can move close enough to one.

Are move of the newer developments fairly safe? I see on realtor.com lots of newer properties that are available and just wonder about that.

DH can transfer to his company's Reno warehouse which is north of the city near the north airport (can't think of it's name) so employment is not a problem.
The area north of town is Stead and it is outside of Reno City Limits, there are some good areas to live in North of Town but it is Rural. Being from California, our commute (if you choose to live in Reno or even south of town in newer developments) should be very easy...and, he would be going against traffic!!

If you want to be near a great Catholic School, I recommend looking at locations south of town --- there are some real values in VERY nice neighborhoods and I think you will like it. The Catholic School is Bishop Manogue and if the public schools are great too!

Happy to help where I can...let me know : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area