U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM

361 posts, read 492,221 times

Advertisements

Hi, my partner and I are in the process of relocating to the Reno area. We are wanting to rent for a year before finding a more permanent home (although if we find a place we love right away, may want to stay longer), so we can explore and find the neighborhood that fits us best.

We are coming with jobs in hand, both working from home, so no worries regarding location. We are hoping to rent a house or townhouse. We like older areas, have no kids so don't care about schools or school ratings, don't want/like modern planned communities (with accompanying intrusive HOA's). Can someone point me to property management companies that rent homes in such areas? Are there property management companies that are easier to work with/more responsive? Ones that are a nightmare or only handle properties that students at UNR are looking for (not that there's anything wrong with that, just not what we need)?

We've been long term renters, adults closer to retiring than college, living in the same property over 5 years. We're well aware there are property management companies that are great, and those that have no business working with the general public or have no care for anything other than $$, and are not responsive to home care needs. So hoping locals can steer us in the right direction. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 04:10 PM

1,281 posts, read 412,309 times
Only "houses" I know of are owner-managed, and occupied. Seems to be an on-going shortage right now (at least that is what the new people want you to think), with rentals pretty scarce. Many apartment complexes are at capacity. I did find this, though:

Diversified Property Management, Inc.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2018, 11:50 AM

979 posts, read 1,343,912 times
I think it might be a difficult job to find housing here remotely. The best properties are advertised by word of mouth, neighbors (sign on lawn), and local social media because Reno is still a small town. If you want to avoid the suburban scene I would look into the Midtown area. Lots of up and coming eateries, pubs, boutique stores. Housing is currently at a premium and the most expensive it's been in quite a few years. Rentals are hard to come by. It might be worth your while to spend a week here driving around, finding the right neighborhood for you, and looking for those local rental units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or