Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:27 AM

73 posts, read 97,378 times

Advertisements

I have family that are coming into town around Christmas time, and they were thinking of renting a car from Reno, and drive to San Francisco, and then the coast to Los Angeles. I haven't been in Reno long enough to know if the Donner pass (is that the only way to San Fran?) is closed many times during the winter. Since they will only be in Reno 2 days, and then heading out to San Fran, should I advise them to fly to San Francisco from Reno?

How often was the Donner pass closed last year? did it require chains all winter long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 10:59 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
It only requires chain during and right after the storm, usually last about a day or two.

It is very difficult to predict when the storms will be coming. If their schedule is flexible that they can drive to SF 1-2 days before or after the intended day , then it should be fine.

Even flight can be cancelled during the storm if the wind is too strong.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:08 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
The Donner Party was snowed in by November...but nowadays road closures are temporary. I used to bring some survival gear. They could always go 395 south to LA, first. Donner is exceptionally beautiful, especially if you have done well gambling. Reno airport is cool, too. Reno is better than Vegas, but don't tell all the New Yawkas in LV.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:22 AM

73 posts, read 97,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The Donner Party was snowed in by November...but nowadays road closures are temporary. I used to bring some survival gear. They could always go 395 south to LA, first. Donner is exceptionally beautiful, especially if you have done well gambling. Reno airport is cool, too. Reno is better than Vegas, but don't tell all the New Yawkas in LV.
Unfortunately driving to LA first wouldn't work because the will be flying out from LA. Ok so I will let them know it's only closed during a snow storm temporarily and leave it up to them to take the risk of driving vs flying.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Even 395 South can be difficult during snow storm and may require chain around Mammoth lakes.

Since they will drive to SF and then along the CA coast for vacation, they probably have enough time to stay in Reno a little bit longer if there is a storm. Just don't book nonrefundable hotel.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:56 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
If its snowing hard enough to close 80, you don't want to be anywhere near 395! 80 may be nasty for 50 miles or so, but 395 is hell for hundreds of miles in the snow. You don't really get out of the crap till Bishop.

Hard to predict, like said above, but they do a pretty good job of plowing. Some years there is not much snow at all.

The main problem I assume you will face is renting a car with suitable tires/and or having chains available. I don't rent cars, but that seems like a stretch. Find something All-Wheel, maybe. I think, however, you are required by law to carry chains in California. May want to check on that beforehand. This might help:

https://www.tirechain.com/california...equirement.htm

Happy Holidays!

Old 10-06-2018, 08:31 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
^^^^^^ THis

US395 is much worse than I-80 in the snow. The reality is that since I-80 is an interstate, much care is taken to keep it open as much as possible.

As for chains, in California, chains will be required at various times, and most of the time, it will read either chains (for 2x4 cars) or snow tires on 4x4. Since 2012, when I started driving through the passes, I've never seen a situation where 4x4 and chains have been required.

Car rental companies will most likely carry 4x4 suvs in stock, but if there is a storm coming, they will go out quickly. They probably won't have snow tires in any rate, so the best would be to wait till the storm is over.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:32 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,821 times
Driving over the pass in the winter is a day to day decision.

Some winters the pass is never closed. Some winters the pass has restrictions or closures every few days. Storms move in and storms move out. I don't like driving in the mountains in bad weather so I don't own chains. It has never been more than an inconvenience to wait a day or two.

If I were to rent a vehicle with that trip in mind I would rent a 4x4 SUV on the off chance that there may be snow, especially if we have a normal snow year. If we happen to have a really dry winter and no snow is in the forecast, then this topic will be a moot point and no special accommodations are needed.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:21 PM

152 posts, read 263,616 times
Do rental car companies still charge a ton of money to return a car to a different location?

Old 10-14-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaRE View Post
Do rental car companies still charge a ton of money to return a car to a different location?
No. I routinely rent car in Reno and return them at SFO to fly out of SFO( for cheap international airfare)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: