Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 06:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times

Advertisements

Hope someone can educate me. I used to live in CA for 25 years so I'm very aware of droughts and water scarcity. For the past 8 years I've been living in the PNW where, to put it mildly, there is no water shortage. Some other relatives and I have been tossing around the idea of Carson City as a retirement destination in a couple years. We've all been to the area and prefer it to Reno as it's smaller, but close enough that if you need to go to Reno for big(ger)-city reasons, it's not a problem. And Tahoe, etc. are nearby. We all thrive on outdoor activity so that's an important factor for us.

My question is this: When looking at real estate and apartment websites, I'm seeing a LOT of lawns. I realize that the Sierras create a rainshadow effect, just as the Cascades do up here, so the actual precipitation in Reno and Carson City is fairly minimal. But is there enough snowmelt from the mountains to provide the kind of water supply that justifies that much grass as I've been seeing? Are residents encouraged to conserve, or is it not necessary?

Just curious - if I did purchase anything it would likely be a small condo at this point in my life, not a home with a large yard. But I like to know what I'm getting into when I consider a move.

Thanks for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:16 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,119 times
Most homeowners in northern NV keep a lawn. I'm not sure why, other than water is not expensive...yet. There is a lot of growth in the Reno-Sparks area. All planned projects must have water rights. But the cost of water, and producing it for so many, is bound to push the price up. I don't know about Carson City, but we have neighbors that spend $200-$300/month during the summer to water their lawns and gardens. I would rather spend the money on other things. But it seems they consider it a normal operating expense. Of course, if you are in an HOA then you may be required to water the lawn or suffer the consequences.
Our conservation efforts amount to a even/odd watering schedule that is voluntary. During consecutive drought years the water utility has had "water police" that drive up and down streets/ investigate complaint calls about watering on the wrong day, broken sprinkler heads, water wasting. During normal years we hear nothing about fines.
The source of water in Carson City is groundwater, canyon runoff, and a few reservoirs in the foothills. Reno/Sparks water is sourced from the Truckee River which is Lake Tahoe overflow.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:29 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,244 times
We have water. Well enough to last a drought cycle. Our reservoirs are pretty full.

I have a small lawn in the front and back. We also have a large garden. Our water bill is 120 at the most. We love having a lawn due to having kids and of course it helps to keep the house cooler. If I was older and my kids were gone, I'd opt to have desert landscaping. Your water bill shouldn't be more than 30 a month if you don't have a yard to water.

We are allowed to water three times a week and of course we have free reign if we hand water. During the drought years it was twice a week for what seemed to be forever. They've stopped fining people for wasting water because of how fast our area has grown since the 80's and of course they don't have the resources to fine every one.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I would have answered sooner, but I was out of town until today and busy with other things.

I'm fine with xeriscaping if the water situation deems it important, as I don't have kids running around anymore. But I do like green. It sounds like for the moment the water is plentiful enough to use for lawns IF people want to. And the HOA comment reminds me that that can be a factor, if one buys into such a development. But with increasing growth it might be prudent not to count on having a lawn.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:52 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,119 times
I think it boils down to everything in moderation. If you like a little bit of lawn, there is plenty of water (and still at a reasonable price) to support that choice. Lawns are not only about the water but also fertilizer, mowing, upkeep of mower or price of lawn service, time and energy.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I think it boils down to everything in moderation. If you like a little bit of lawn, there is plenty of water (and still at a reasonable price) to support that choice. Lawns are not only about the water but also fertilizer, mowing, upkeep of mower or price of lawn service, time and energy.
Yes, I have one now, and it's a pain because it rarely rains in the summer here in the PNW. We mow in the winter, not the summer!

Luckily, my current home is landscaped without grass in the back yard. But even caring for the front is a nuisance.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:09 PM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
Carson City uses water meters and you are charged according to use. There is rationing for lawn care in that you can water every other day during the week in the evening or morning hours only. Most of us try to cut down on lawns now and use more drip irrigation. I just had xeriscaping installed in the front yard of my rental investment property to cut back on the water bills. The water is tied to ownership of the property so landlords pay that bill. Our water/sewer bills for our rental on a small lot with grass was up to $120/month during peak summer months. After taking out most of the grass it dropped to the $80 range. Our home is on an acre with extensive trees on drip and some lawn and we went up to $200 during July and August and September here as well. That includes sewer which is also metered. There is some talk of drought here every year, but common sense solutions seem to be dealing with it just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area