Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:21 PM

36 posts, read 77,424 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Thinking of Reno area again. I want land and alot of it to retreat to when I want, maybe build a homestead or eventually a permanent place. I see land is super cheap for the money. I'd likely park a travel trailer there when I come for any immediate future.

What's it like? Looks beautiful. Found great deals around Thunder mountain and really anywhere remote but within an hour or so from civilization.

Reside on the beach in St Pete FL, too many tourists, millennials and baby boomers are ruining the place driving up costs of everything. It's not what it was a decade ago when I moved there.

How safe of a living situation is being so remote? I'm very handy, work in the trades, always carry. I understand home Depot and Wal Mart isn't nearby.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 12:19 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
Rural Nevada is great.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
There all sorts of realtors who will sell you 5 or 10 acre lots in the boonies. The problem is getting water, electricity, phone and internet service to your property.

Here's an example: Humboldt County, Nevada (10 acres) – Western Land Company

This is 23 miles from Winnemucca which has a Walmart. This is beautiful country and I love it out there. Good luck to you.

www.winnemucca.com

Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Water is the biggest problem.

Solar should be adequate for you to go off-grid.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Regarding water, does it rain/snow enough to collect and store it? Are there places to drive to where I could pump it in to a portable tank?

Old 04-26-2019, 05:37 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Definitely not enough. You needs to drill a well.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:23 PM

Once a well is drilled, is there plentiful supply or is it seasonal. I ask because my parents were once on a well and they had to drill it deeper when the population grew. Also heard stories about it running dry occasionally if it the area didn't receive alot if precipitation moths before. Just wondering.

Also what about the crime? Being so remote I could imagine being robbed and never knowing until I returned or worse yet being there and having to take the law in my own hands. Does this happen?

Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoobness View Post
Also what about the crime? Being so remote I could imagine being robbed and never knowing until I returned or worse yet being there and having to take the law in my own hands. Does this happen?
There is no crime where there are no criminals. There are no criminals where there is nothing to steal.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
There is no crime where there are no criminals. There are no criminals where there is nothing to steal.
I'm not speaking of city crimes, but more like home invasion, or coming back to my rural home and it's robbed or has squatters. I'm not pitching a tent, lol, there will be valuables there.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Well, anywhere in the world you leave valuables unguarded in a remote location, they are likely to get stolen. I'd suggest Northern Nevada may be less of a risk, as folks 'round here are known to pack heat and tend to watch out for themselves.

Point is, not lots of folks just wandering around the middle of nowhere who are looking to steal. Hunters, ATV/Motorcyclists, Horse people and hikers are all over the place, but they don't generally B&E.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area