Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2020, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 10,329 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four, two teenagers in high school - one bisexual, the other transgender, living in a very LGBT-friendly area of California.

We are all looking for a change and work allows us to work from anywhere. We have narrowed our search down to the older areas of Reno (Old Southwest in particular) but wanted to get an understanding of the attitudes toward the LGBT community. We don’t want to make the assumption that there are lots of SF expats and therefore folks are accepting - although if that were true, it would be really validating.

It would be especially great to hear from someone who is transgender to hear their experiences - finding that places that are gay friendly may not be trans-friendly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 09:30 PM

89 posts, read 61,666 times
Keep your private sexuality to yourself and Reno is friendly to everyone who arrives without an agenda. Kids are kids. Let them be kids.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:43 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezup12 View Post
Keep your private sexuality to yourself and Reno is friendly to everyone who arrives without an agenda. Kids are kids. Let them be kids.

That was really nasty!

OP, a lot of the people that move to NV think this way, unfortunately. If I had to guess, I'd say this was a regular poster in the NV forums who came in under a different name to express their vitriol. I highly suspect one individual in particular...

They don't see the value of letting a child express him or herself comfortably as "bisexual" and they don't at all understand transgenderism.

You've now been accused of having an "agenda" because you were exploring a safe place for your kids. Nice, isn't it?

Well, your answer should be pretty clear at this point.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
That was really nasty!

They don't see the value of letting a child express him or herself comfortably as "bisexual" and they don't at all understand transgenderism.
I was/am hopeful there are some accepting households especially given the connection Reno has to the CA Bay Area. Spending some time there recently, it’s clear the neighborhoods closer to downtown and midtown, along with parts of old southwest Reno and areas adjacent the University will be a good fit for us. The further out one goes, the more conservative they tend to be.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezup12 View Post
Our only agenda is for our teenagers to not be physically harmed (and ideally, simply accepted) based on their identity. If the presence of a transgender young woman offends you, your transphobia speaks for itself.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroEdge View Post
Our only agenda is for our teenagers to not be physically harmed (and ideally, simply accepted) based on their identity. If the presence of a transgender young woman offends you, your transphobia speaks for itself.
I am not offended at all. It's an anonymous message board. However I am concerned about your children. My advice is to lay off them with your labels, or calling people names such as you've done here with me. Nothing good comes of name calling. Name calling and these labels are not edifying.

Feelings are not set in stone. I had a nephew who felt he was transgender then changed his mind at 17 and has been happily married for over a decade. Appreciative he didn't have a family who fed into his imaginary persecution complex pushing his agenda. It's tough growing up sometimes people loose their way and we need to be empathetic. His feelings just changed one day upon meeting someone he is compatible with. He was just a child so we didn't take it too seriously. This happens so often, it also happened with a niece of ours who thought she was bi-sexual then later claimed to just be confused. She grew out of it.

Lighten up and enjoy them while they are young. Don't plant ideas people hate them, or go on message boards calling people names as if these people trying to help you are the devil. It's really bizarre to treat others this way and will result in being treated poorly back. You need to be a role model, this cannot be acceptable. It's actually a form of abuse to perpetuate this against them by calling others names as if you are trying to defend them. It's manipulative and abusive. Please stop. Support them to do things worthy of praise such as volunteering, getting good grades, sports, caring about others, etc...and support them not to label others or call names if they don't want to be labeled or called names right back. I will forgive you instead of retaliating. I am also guessing it's against the rules.
Let's not cry foul where there is none...call names then wonder why people are turned off by this judgement then worry it will happen wherever you move. It won't unless it is your agenda. People in Reno are quite nice when treated nicely. Good luck to you. I hope you find an area you will all enjoy.

Last edited by mezup12; 10-13-2020 at 03:40 AM..

Old 10-13-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
That was really nasty!

OP, a lot of the people that move to NV think this way, unfortunately. If I had to guess, I'd say this was a regular poster in the NV forums who came in under a different name to express their vitriol. I highly suspect one individual in particular...

You've now been accused of having an "agenda" because you were exploring a safe place for your kids. Nice, isn't it?

Well, your answer should be pretty clear at this point.
Wow, that was a mouthful and a misaligned attempt at armchair psychiatry. I wouldn't quit your day job yet hopefully you feel better! I've done it myself, perpetuated lies and worse so i forgive you

Old 10-13-2020, 05:50 AM

With all due respect, you really have no idea what you’re talking about. Thanks anyway.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:02 AM

It wouldn't be the first nor the last time. Home sales are on the upswing so you may want to consider waiting until the winter to purchase a home. Good luck

Old 12-19-2020, 02:55 PM

48 posts, read 117,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroEdge View Post
We are a family of four, two teenagers in high school - one bisexual, the other transgender, living in a very LGBT-friendly area of California.

We are all looking for a change and work allows us to work from anywhere. We have narrowed our search down to the older areas of Reno (Old Southwest in particular) but wanted to get an understanding of the attitudes toward the LGBT community. We don’t want to make the assumption that there are lots of SF expats and therefore folks are accepting - although if that were true, it would be really validating.

It would be especially great to hear from someone who is transgender to hear their experiences - finding that places that are gay friendly may not be trans-friendly.

You'll find your neighbors to go either way. Most people will probably leave you alone, but there's a lot of people out here who have lifted trucks and roll coal to anger other people because they think it's funny. The same people are often times pretty mean to transgender individuals and treat them like freaks. Be careful but honestly you should be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: