U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 PM

98 posts, read 378,860 times
Smile Good Tip and great information

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Fiddlebacks are not web spinners. They actively hunt. They are actually faily large ( Legs spread out they can cover a quarter to a fifty cent piece) but are built kinda spindly. Thin legs and body. There are a lot of good spiders out there that resemble them ( our big brown spiders and wolf spiders) but the giveaway is the carapace marking. The harmless and far more common spiders that can be mistaken for a fiddleback have markings on the abdomen ( usually yellow and black stripes). Don't be overly alarmed about the fiddleback ( or Brown Recluse in more scientific terms). They are generally found in areas that stay free of human activity for long times. Storage areas, crawlspaces and such. But it does pay to keep things picked up and shake out your shoes. And there are lots of resources out there with information about the critters in the area if you want to see pictures and learn to identify friend from foe. Gotta love the internet.
Bless you NVplumber. What great information. I really appreciate the bug bomb tip too. I use to live in NV. Never saw any of these creepies. Did live up on the hill in Reno for awhile and there were tons of scorpions. And one time in that same complex a big (bigger than a quarter) soft gray long haired spider fell on my head. He was real pretty I felt bad stepping on him. Alas, I hate spiders so he had to go. Lived in lots of places in Reno and other NV towns and that was the only time I ran into those things. Never saw any snakes either. Thanks for the Raid Smoking Foggers tip. I'm going to try that. Where I live now has so many spiders and a huge variety I'm desperate.
They are all over 3 inches at least. Killed 2 in my bedroom the other night. Both at least that big. The wand on the vacuum cleaner is a wonderful thing.
You might consider a portable one when your doing your work. Get one with the most suction possible. Spiders are soft and die quickly when sucked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:58 PM

6,922 posts, read 4,867,494 times
If , by benefit of my experience, I can help keep someone from a nasty sting or bite, I am happy to be of sevice. I've tangled with the business end of Black Widows 5 times and it's most unpleasant to say the least. Scorpions and Vinegaroons ain't fun either but they won't flatten you the way a Widder does. The shop vac trick is a good one ...lol, have used it myself for years. I've also fought a few battles with my sweat torch. Don't try that one at home boys n girls. ( gets er' done though). Theres a good reason why plumbers aren't the cheapest guys in the world to hire. We have to deal with a LOT of nastyness getting problems fixed. The crawly element likes to inhabit the areas we work in. The first two times I was bitten I was flat on my back for two days. Bad stomach cramps, dry heaves, hot and cold spells and a nasty welt at the bite sites. Be aware of your surroundings at all times and bomb regular. Grrrrr I hates Widder Spidders!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:35 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,706,797 times
[quote=asassyvic;5246479]Tressa, those little stink bugs are kind of cute. Believe it or not they are great scavengers.

We leave the stink bugs alone for sure they appear to be harmless, I've seen a couple of scorpions but they were dead already. Only seen one black widow, I do make sure that I vacuum my house and keep looking in the corners to make sure no webs begin.

We have a new place so things are fairly clean but we will be away for about 3 weeks and I'm a bit spooked as to what might be in there by the time we get back.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,932 times
Spooner3099 - I work for the government and work a lot with safety issues that includes local critters. Sounds like you have a Wolf Spider, they are usually kind of tan in color, and are noted for carrying their babies on their backs. Note they can carry anywhere from 300 up to somewhere around 800. They are very common in Northern Nevada. They like it in the falling leaves in the fall so if you have a lot of leaves on the ground around you house get your hubby out there to rake them up and that will help reduce the number around your house. They WILL migrate indoors the colder it gets so don't wait too long. As far as I know they are not known for being dangerous, but they are ugly little critters. Just remember that all it takes is for you to have one pregnant female in your house to give you 800 more in a matter of a few short weeks. Note to all of you reading, any stuff piled up next to the house like leaves, fire wood or old junk is a good hiding place for now, but as the temperatures drop they'll move indoors. YUCK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner3099 View Post
I went downstairs to get water and i saw the weirdest looking spider i have ever seen here in the reno/sparks area. It look like a potato bug but had 8 legs. No stripes or markings on the legs. It was about the size of a half dollar piece and just was the ugliest thing i have ever seen. After i caught it with a mug and put it in the sink with the water going hundreds and i mean hundreds of baby spiders fell off its abdomen.... Any one know what kinda spider it could have been??? Its the biggest spider i have ever seen in the reno/sparks area and its enough to make me move outta my house lol

Old 09-27-2008, 04:40 PM

13 posts, read 84,411 times
Stepping on them works.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,684 times
I have just recently moved here to Reno and live in the south part of the city. I live in a apartment complex and have a spider infestation. I have been in bed and have watched two big spiders crawling across me covers. I don't know what kind they are but they were huge. They had long legs and the color seemed to be a dark rusty red. One had hairy legs and looked dark reddish brown. Are these spiders poisonous? Does anyone out there know what type of spiders these might be.? I have also discovered three in my bathtub, the landlord has sprayed but I seem to be seeing more. I don't even want to sleep in my bed. I am totally freaked out and have a bug phobia. How do I get rid of these spiders. I also have severe asthma and I'm afraid to spray too much pesticide for breathing it. Can anyone out there please help me, and fast!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 AM

171 posts, read 520,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felamac View Post
I have just recently moved here to Reno and live in the south part of the city. I live in a apartment complex and have a spider infestation. I have been in bed and have watched two big spiders crawling across me covers. I don't know what kind they are but they were huge. They had long legs and the color seemed to be a dark rusty red. One had hairy legs and looked dark reddish brown. Are these spiders poisonous? Does anyone out there know what type of spiders these might be.? I have also discovered three in my bathtub, the landlord has sprayed but I seem to be seeing more. I don't even want to sleep in my bed. I am totally freaked out and have a bug phobia. How do I get rid of these spiders. I also have severe asthma and I'm afraid to spray too much pesticide for breathing it. Can anyone out there please help me, and fast!
Move into a bubble.

Seriously they ain't going anywhere.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,975 times
I was told by sheetmetal workers in Virginia City that worked in crawlspace under house, to use mothballs to get rid blackwidow spiders. I did and since that time, I have not seen any in my garage and no, they didn't run in my house as far as I know of. However, they said after a few months throw some fresh ones around. Does brown recluse live in Nevada or go in homes?

Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 AM

1,122 posts, read 640,572 times
Does brown recluse live in Nevada or go in homes?[/quote]

I haven't seen any here. TG!! I lived in AZ where most of the ugly spider and snakes reside.

I have seen a small Scorpion (small conpared to Az) I actaully sprayed it with Lysol and that worked! lol

Yes, the Widows out here are horrible and huge, so thanks for info on the moth bolls, I have a small dog that likes to go under my porch when she's outside and it worries me.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 PM

170 posts, read 139,663 times
The recluse is not native to Nevada. There was a couple reported to the Ag Dept. that where brought in from people who moved here or had a package delivered from another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area